View Single Post
Old 01-10-2004, 08:04 PM   #121
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
wotjek's reply - ps ezin, looks like Mazda told us all a dodgy - we all have 17mm rear bars not 16! :

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting us, although I am concerned about the tone of your email.

I would like to start by setting a base line with original suspension.
Mazda 323 BJ2 is fitted with 22mm front and 17mm rear OE sway bars.

The actual cornering balance of the car is only partly dependant on the sway bar rates. There are many other factors that come into this equation, including wheel alignment settings. Changes to camber, caster or toe settings do change the handling of the car, so there are different ways of achieving similar result. In this example, option 1 can be the first mild improvement, and can be followed up by option 2.

Option 1.
front 22mm sway bar (OE), rear sway bar 20mm (BFR59Z) Result it greatly reduced overall body roll, as well as understeer.

Option 2.
front sway bar 24mm (BMF50), rear sway bar 20mm adjustable (BFR59Z) Result is even bigger reduction to overall body roll, as well as understeer and sharper steering.

So, to answer your questions....

What went wrong?
- Nothing.
What happened?
- We have improved the handling of Arden's Mazda 323.

I find it strange and disapointing that you are disappointed with the outcome of what we did, when you say... "I would have thought the front bar would have gone to 25 or 26mm, and then a rear bar made to suit, 21 or 22mm."

With 24mm front and 20mm rear, the increase over standard is 2mm front and 3mm rear.

Using your analogy, the effective increase in sway bars is 3/4mm front and 4/5mm rear. How will this change the cornering balance?

We also did not want to use any bigger then 24mm front sway bar, as that will start to have a detrimental effect on front grip, which is why we decided to use 24mm front and 20mm adjustable rear.

Lastly, I am not sure what you mean by; "In addition, what were done with the mounts?"

Regards,
Wojtek Rogulski
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote