View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #10
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
A resistor in series will provide a voltage drop in relation to the rest of the load. I'll try to explain (this is where a whiteboard in a lecture theatre would be handy).
If you have 12 volts and an AFM which has a resistance of 1000Ω then the AFM carries all 12 volts;
If you add a 200Ω resistor into the curcuit then the AFM will carry 10 volts and the resirtor 2 volts;
Now if the AFM changes resistance to 800Ω and your resistor maintains its 200Ω then the AFM carries 9.6 volts and the resistor 2.4 volts.
This is where it becomes tricky as this is how the whole thing works, The AFM appears to the ECU as a resistance and for the ECU to measure this resistance it must have its own resistance in the curcuit and read the voltage from that. So to change the ECUs reading of the AFM you're adding a third resistor into the curcuit. To raise the resistance you add in series but to lower the resistance you need to add in paralell.
Resistors are about 2 cents each and their are thousands to choose from so you could give your self a hobby and start trial and error ($5 gives you thousands of possable combinations) or find the pinouts and start taking voltage readings, either way a spreadsheet will be your friend.