Thread: My new bits
View Single Post
Old 20-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #19
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
Yeah, with the flys and starters....when you go to the G series box, the position of the starter motor if offset by the box itself to accomodate the larger flywheel.

As for the 235mm bit. That's purely the size of the contact surface of the clutch plate. In some cases the flywheel is remachined and the edge taken off to allow the size change of the clutch plate.

Anyway! Well as of last night I drove the car. One word......DRAMAS.

On friday night, everything went so well. I got the car to the point (by myself) where the engine was ready to take out. Removed all CV's etc etc. After having such a good run i was quite excited to get everything in....unitil I lined up the old RHS CV with the new one, only to find they were different lenghts. The new one was supposed to be shorter than the old one and in this case it was longer.

Anyway, next mornining continued on and everything went smooth with getting the engine out, box off, clutch and fly off. While I was there I changed the rear main oil seal again and resealed the sump lining. Reassembled all and put the engine back in. Started connecting **** back up and found the selector arm joint at the box was hitting on the bolt that goes through the rear mount. As on the old box, the bolt extends through the nut by about 8-10mm. This is what the selector knuckle was hitting on. Well after much thinking of a way round it I came back to my first thought and that was to grind the ****er off! :evil: Well, as bad as this may seem, me removing the extra 7mm off the bolt gave me the room i needed to get full shifter movement without hitting anything While I was there I put in a spacer in the bushes on the selector join to get rid of that nasty sloppyness in the gear stick.

Anyway, besides this, this was the only real problems....but the discovery of that the shaft was wrong, kinda took the wind out of my sails to get things finished asap.

I now have to get a custom CV made up to mate with the intermediate joint i have. Until I get this shaft, I'm using a dodgey POS shaft that was made for the orginal owner of the box (before I made it LSD etc etc).

Took it for a spin last night and Whoa! You can notice that lsd. Putting the power down out of roundabouts and exiting in the same lane in which you entered in awesome! :lol: I still have to set up the AVCR propperly, but yeah, have to let everything settle in before i go giving it too much....and the fact that I'm using a **** CV means i have to go easy until I get my custom one.