View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #67
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astina GianT
Bumer Rupewrecht, now I know why you have the picture of the cop car in the driverside mirror! But it's interesting what you said about the car being alot more fun with the smaller turbo as a daily driver, as the power of the car is delivered a lot lower in the rev range, haven't thought about that. I am lead to believe that turbos tend to bring the power on in the mid to high rev range while supercharging in the low revs, with your situation why is there such a difference with the smaller turbo i.e. it being more responsive? how would you theoretically fix that problem with the bigger turbo scenerio? Programable ECU?
i have a programmable ecu that was used with both big and small turbo setups, and thats not a factor.

It's purely the size of the turbo. The bigger it is, the longer it takes to spool up. the GTX is (roughly) the size of my fist, whereas the T03/4 was about 3 times the size, and really designed for a much larger engine (3.0L+)

With the smaller size and shorter spoolup time, it means the power is delivered earlier. Big turbo takes more exhaust gasses spinning it before it starts to make power, hence why it come in later in the rev range.

but having said that, length and size of piping also plays a factor in power delivery

and while the GTX turbo spools quicker, it also runs out of puff at the top of the rev range. and the T03/4 wouldn't be making power until 3500->4000 rpm, but would pull very VERY strongly to 8000 rpm

1.8T vs V6NA: it'd depend what i'd bought. if i'd bought a V6, i would have gone the 2.5 KLZE NA route. presented with the choice, i'm not sure!

but as a daily drive i think i'd prefer the turbo, as it's not as highly stressed all the time, as the turbo is more of an on-demand type of power. and i love the sound of turbo flutter and a blow off valve. it's the ricer in me

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Last edited by Rupewrecht; 06-04-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote