View Single Post
Old 29-09-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
HI-RES

Car: none
case study - my car & I

Hey Folks

Well I havent been on this forum much for the last 6 months due to the fact that I was planning on selling my car. but due to a turn of unfortunate events, i am reconsidering what i should do and would really like to hear your advice if u have an opinion.

my car - black 2000 astina 1.6ltr man 80,000km (16" shadow chromes, king springs, k&n panel, home job cai, iridium plugs, personalised plates + other stuff)

a few months back i reversed into an invisible concrete pylon and mashed my tailgate and bumper. yes i could not believe i didnt see it but it was a tricky blindside blendinwiththewall type thing....when i returned to the scene a month later, the owners had placed large plants in the area to draw attention to mr pylon. anyway, not wanting to claim insurance and loose a rating blah blah I got a quote on getting it fixed...low n behold a whole new tailgate and bumper is needed, plus to add to the pain a few days later the boot got stuck and i havent been able to open it since :roll: so i decided to sit on it until i had some cash together.

additionally, i need to repaint the roof as the f*ckwit that painted it probably used an acrylic primer that flexed differently with the 2pack....it has cracks resemble a drunken spider web.
btw history on the roof - had a branch fall out of tree on it while travelling at 60km/hr, got a mate to weld a new roof on and his spraypainter workmate did the refinish. consequently that dude has left, plus it was a "foreigner" anyhow so no warranty. :evil:

since then my poor luck has continued - a "parked car" accident involving a scratched front bumper and cracked headlight cover. and a few weeks back some kind of possum frenzy happened (i assume) resulting in a heavily scratched bonnet and further scratches on the front bumper.
note - the bonnet and bumper were replaced in january when the tree outside my house decided to have a sleep on my car after a heavy storm.

SO

i will shortly have $1900 to play with for which I'm going to claim the tailgate damage ($400 excess) and get the roof, bonnet and bumper repainted. After all this is done my car will look brand new again....do I really wanna sell it after going to all this trouble?? Seems like such a waste. :?: Then again everybody refers to it as the CURSED CAR like a black bloody cat.

I am very tempted to keep the car another few years as my insurance will obviously go up, and buying the cars I was considering now seem a bit out of reach (306 gti6, my99 wrx wagon or gtx). and if i keep it I thinking of doing some more mods to keep me happy like superlows & konis + the exhaust....but then again should I bother wasting the dough on a car thats described as (the dealer i bought it new from) a "pickin up the kids from school" car?

I've really loved this car and has been so reliable but seems like a bad omen is following me around :roll:
in summary
(a) keep it and do nothing more to it
(b) keep it and rice it up a bit
(c) fix it, then sell it

sorry for the big post, this has been playin on my mind for sometime.
cheers
mike
HI-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links