View Single Post
Old 23-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #189
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
I'm resolved to see how running gear handles the 400+ horsies. Iron out any bugs etc. Will never tramp it or anything stupid but plan is to drive it hard for few 1000k's (nice daily for awhile hehe..) & if something breaks (running gear from trans back), deal with it then. Means it was going to happen up ahead anyway! If it doesn't. It'll be reliable enough to do long trips

Once I have bit more cash & time passes. I may beef it up a bit more with stronger running gear. Larger IC. Larger jetting?

Thing is. The later (91-95) 300E's that used the DOHC 3.0L engine had larger diff crown wheels. So stronger obviously. Don't know about the tailshaft & assoc' bits though? The engines were more powerful in stock trim but the SOHC engines, as in mine, are more robust were boosting is concerned. Can handle more abuse. Stock unopened they can handle 650 horsies with just bolt-ons. Only concern being the original head gaskets. Btw. BMW have a stock engine that handles 1000hp! This is why I luv these Messerschmidt's haha.....

The model I have is quite basic as far as trinkets & add-ons are concerned. Built to last not tear down the quarter mile. (well.....mine perhaps ). Newer models were where it all went wrong imo. Superfluous. Expensive to repair/replace luxury items such as seat warmers, electric seat settings, self-leveling suspension, hydraulic engine mounts ($1,900 for instance) mine were like $270 a pair.....list goes on. 300E's like mine are just a commodore on steroids really. Heavier. Stronger. Much more reliable, but still simple I kinda respect this. No sensors (except 02 exhaust).

I'm fully aware of the benefits of EFI. The 323GT of mine was awesome in it's day & still is! DOHC, EFI, TURBO/IC bla bla.....THE ****! & I simply luv it to bits. Hence it's still in the garage waiting for me to put it back together

This MERCUS ERECTUS though is very different. A great big hard-on on wheels! haha.....The injection's tossed for LPG. Simple gas fed via a carby (basically) only, PROPERLY. If they get this right. Which they guarantee they will. How more reliable can a car be? This is why I'm persisting with this car. It could be great. It will be if done right.

So.....when it gets home I have to get rear screen replaced. Buy some speakers, amp & rewire the Sound System completely Replace springs all round. Tyres probably. Then register when I can!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 23-06-2010 at 08:02 AM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote