Thread: Ghe770
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #64
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3 View Post
On the cmp/ckp cam/crank angle sensor thing, rather than dump in mad matts build log:
1994/97 mx5s used an exhuast cam mounted sensor, 95 onwards in conjuction with an actual crank sensor.
I'd assume the 95+ crank sensor and drive plate setup would be a simple bolt up affair however the earlier 94 sensor would be KISS compatible and cheaper to boot.
The same cmp sensor is used from 94 to 97.

I opened up my s3 ba dizzy and it consists of a four bladed plate sweeping through a magnetic switch. AGT member assanga has a decent set of pics of a stripped down dizzy showing this in his build log.
It looks more cumbersome to modify this to work and it would involve leaving the heavy original coil in situ.
Im now again on the hunt for the 94/97 cmp sensor but still weighing up the benifits of using this alone or combined with the 95 onwards "ckp" (crankshaft position sensor). It is all well and truly confusing as mazda used different terminoligies to describe/label these sensors.
Once i do locate the afformentioned sensor, i then have to strain my brain further to
figure out how to wire it up to cops and the 440 select.

Also why would there be a need for a crank and cam angle sensor on non vvt models.
Wouldn't the crank mounted sensor be enough for the ecu to deduce where exactly to fire the coils?
Why do you think the wiring for the cops and 440 need to change?

Resolution, faster starting, better injector control, maybe that they used sequential instead of batch, better timing control etc etc.