View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Simondo

Car: Mazda Lantis Type-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneggs View Post
I just recently did this and that thread Rupe linked is what I used... I had never opened a tranny before and I have basic mechanic skills and I was able to do it myself.

I didn't replace any synchros or gear parts, I just took everything apart to replace the LSD. The most difficult part was removing the gear from the stock diff (there are 10 heat welded rivets that have to be removed). I have a 12 ton press so pressing the bearings on wasn't an issue either...

Thanks for the guide, Dan. You've linked me to that before and I've read it several times. However I still don't have the confidence, the tools, the time or the patience to takle this myself. I guess I'll have to speak to some mechanics around my area and see what they say. My guess is that they won't even know what I'm talking about! I could take it to Mazda who should theoretically know but charge muchness for that reason. It'd be a no brainer I guess if I was convinced that they knew what they were doing.

No one paid a mechanic to do it? I'm just after a rough idea of how much labour it's reasonable for them to charge me for.