View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
bigal_250

Car: 2001 Astina SP20
Start of 2017 now. No mods or anything yet, just a good service and a lot of 'getting to know it'

Our motorsport of choice is Modern Regularity, where the idea is not to be the fastest car on track, but to post the most consistent times every lap. It's a great way to level the playing field, someone in a Prius has just as much chance to win as a Lambo. It's really about the driver's ability, not the car.
The guys that run the competition in SA also run a 'Rookie's' series alongside the main game, for drivers with little or no track driving experience.

Here we are at our first event, car is still completely stock at this point.

All you need at this level is a fire extinguisher, and a few strategically placed stickers marking the battery and tow points. Really easy to get into, and it's actually a competitive event, making it even more exciting.

Ended up winning the second, third and fourth heats (and the round victory), and could not have been more stoked with what I had ended up with.

Just before this, I also bought my first 'mod' and nice new shiny set of semi-slicks. I wanted to know what the difference was going to be between the standard tyres and these, ergo racing on the normal tyres for my first outing.

For tyres I have been using the Nankang AR-1, we had all previously used the harder spec NS-2R and were very happy, so I decided to upgrade to the even softer, sticker version, and could not have been happier.
Huge amount of grip, reasonable wear and were quite a decent price (around $150 a corner).

And here's a family photo to round of this post. (The Excel belongs to Scout Motorsport btw)

A proud member of the Scout Motorsport Club SA.
http://motorsport.sa.scouts.com.au/
bigal_250 is offline   Reply With Quote