View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
bigal_250

Car: 2001 Astina SP20
Starting 2018, I bought a lower control arm bar from Rupe, and bolted that in place (easiest mod I imagine I'll ever do)

First Modern Reg for the year was in Feb, where I placed 10th of 37.

Most of the rear interior has now been stripped, in pursuit of weight saving (didn't realise back then, but these actually aren't the lightest cars going around)

I've also now installed a custom made strut brace & harness bar, fully engineered to fit by a good friend of mine who is starting to do some work as a freelance engineer/fabricator. I'll get some better shots of that later.

I've now also had a Progress rear sway bar shipped from the US which will hopefully go in in the next couple weeks.

Just last weekend, my team competed in the Peter Hall Memorial 6-Hour Modern Regularity Relay. We had 6 drivers in 6 cars, all taking turns to get from start to finish. A few issues prevented us from getting higher than 13th of 25 teams. The Mazda decided it liked the taste of spark plugs, and burnt 4 by them by end of the day (seemingly from having to remove the rubber boots off 2 of the ignition leads, since I had to literally cut them out with a knife to change the plugs). One of our other cars (Pulsar SSS) was also involved in a nasty crash when an Alfa ran out of brake pads and t-boned him at the end of the main straight.

That's the story up to now. Immediate future plans are to keep working on suspension improvements (the previously mentioned sway bar), and maybe some stiffer springs/shocks. Get the race seat installed, and then possibly start thinking of a freer flowing exhaust and other things to make it a little happier on full noise.

A proud member of the Scout Motorsport Club SA.
http://motorsport.sa.scouts.com.au/
bigal_250 is offline   Reply With Quote