View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #37
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
a sweeping generalisation.

High end, audiophile grade Home theatres have 2, and sometimes 3 subwoofers (a rear subwoofer dedicated to surround effects). if by "high end" you mean "the most money i can spend at JB hifi" then ok, you get 1 big sub...

you look at super high end cabinets, and you'll find there are "subs" in the cabinets. so you have 2 front floor standing cabinets each with a sub.. its not uncommon, especially in custom built enclosures.
Gee, a sweeping generalisation.... in high end home theatre systems those drivers are usually mid-bass or "bass surround" drivers, sure they can look exactly the same from the front but they perform quite different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
The theory i have heard, and read, on countless occasions is as follows.

you have 1 speaker, you run it at 40% volume. you add another speaker at the same volume, the total amount of volume produced would be greater than the individual speaker, would it not?

Thus if you can have more woofers, producing the same total volume, without outputting nearly the same amount of power individually, would it not mean the subs (and amps driving them) are running more in their comfort zone? further away from the point at which they distort? Makes sense to me.

But hey, i'm not above being wrong. If someone comes back and says "spend your $1000 on one sub" and can provide REASONS as to why its superior to 2 subs, then i'll obviously go that way.

However, what gives me the right royal sh!ts is i post a simple post regarding brand advice, to clarify something that i'm told by a salesman, be it right or wrong, and I get told that 2 subs is pointless, dont get told why, get told to go post things on other forums, with the obvious hope that i'll make a dick of myself, with the sole point of finding something I do entertaining in some way, when the question was never asked in the first place. There was absolutely no call for it at all, the advice was never saught.

And still i sit here, no wiser than before, with people saying "2 subs is ricer" "2subs is lower SQ" with absolutely no facts, articles, papers or reasons to back it up. If I'm wrong, by all means, prove me wrong. Explain to me why it works in Home theatre, cinemas, and the like, but not in a car. Otherwise f*ck up (not directed at you ryan...).

I will no longer dignify the matter with my responses. If you have anything INFORMED that can be backed up with reasoning and references, i'd only be too hapy to read it.
As I stated before, adding a second sub will only add a MAXIMUM of around 3db. Extra subs are not added into any system for Sound Quality, they are added for volume. Adding to the total sub-bass to achieve a good system balance.

None of us (aside from Andy joking around) has really said you must not have 2 subs, but we are trying to point out that it is an inefficient use of your money.

Now I'm not going to bother giving references, as I think you should have a more open mind and listen to people who have already shown more actual knowledge than the hearsay you have presented. If you're interested I've actually completed a sound engineering course (years ago), but for 3 1/2 years I worked with PA system's as a sound engineer for some of the bigger bands travelling around Australia. These days I do other work but I also help out the local Pro installers with system tuning occasionally.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote