View Single Post
Old 29-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Buzz_LightYear

Car: 00 wrx
My 1977 929 street/strip build

I have been meaning to start this thread for a while.. thoughts, questions, comment and critz are all welcome.

I always liked the old school mazda's and the prinicple of the rotary engine is also interesting and what better way to combine it all in a build car to use as a dedicated drag car as there is a drag strip 20mins from my house and the rex isn't really a straight line car.

So i found this 929 forsale with the 12a in it, in fairly good nick for a decent price (as anyone looking for an oldschool rotary would know there either wrecked or expencive) now the 929 came factory fitted with a 1.8 4cl and 5 spd manual. mine has been converted with a series 2 SA22C RX-7 12a and 5 speed manual box. Essentially making it an rx4 because the RX4 is a rotary powered 929.

THE PLANS.
What am i doing to it?? Well as the title says its a street/strip car because i have no where to park a car trailer so its gotta be registered and the old school mazda just look sweet when they cruise around.

13b Turbo
Extended Port (keeps it a little more street driveable)
3mm Apex Seals
Microtech ECU
yet to figure out which turbo i want to go for
3.5inch dump to a 3inch catback zorst
3 speed ratchet shift auto
Line Locker (roll control/launch control)
Bolt in Half Cage
Hilux Rear Diff
Autometer guages as far as the eye can see

and a heap of other stuff i cant think of atm

for now.
just going to repaint it and get it strip ready. So courtsey of rupe's jdm thread i have a pair Mazdaspeed Type-F seats, MS-01's staggered fitment 16x7 for the front with 16x8 for the back. My dad is building a bolt in chromoly half cage so i will be right to race all the way down to the 10.00 quarters. PWR Radiator and oil cooler when i drop the engine back in

So decided to start at the back and work my way forward when i stripped it down

mm this might need some attention, both sides are like that

the things you find in a 30 year old car

some MS goodies to go in when it all goes back together

now as i found who ever resprayed this car before me couldn't be bothered stripping it down and just taped the chrome trims and windows (there is paint on one of them) so a got a two tone going on in the doors

bought my self an orbital sander to take back the top layer of paint not taking it back to bare metal and i am not expecting it to turn out great its mainly for racing and will probably get a fully respray in another 5/8 years

and had a break from the sanding so resprayed all the interior plastics and rear beaver panel and front grille charcoal and tested fitted my tacho because the 929 sedan didn't come with a tacho

i only recently managed to get the quater panels and front end off so i am going to spray the inside of them black

White MY00 WRX with some good stuff to make it drive nicely .
13.74 @ 156km/h Beneraby Raceway
1:14.75 Wet Track @ Lakeside Park

My Mazdaspeed 12a powered 1977 mazda 929
its progress http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t..._boy123/NYN29/
Buzz_LightYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links