View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
bathtub

Car: Ford Laser SR2
SR2 Daily Project

Hey Guys,

Been lurking around here for a while so I figured it was time for a build thread. Would also love some opinions on my plans from the guys on here that have a hell of a lot more knowledge than me haha! Car is a 2001 Ford Laser SR2 with close to 250k on the clock. Been driving it for 2 years and it still runs like new, smooth as and doesn't drink a drop of oil. Gearbox is nice and tight too, it was obviously treated very well before I ended up with it. Done a few things so far;

- SP20 front strut brace - not sure if it was just removed from my car or it never came on the SR2's?
- XXR 522's, 16x7 +25 wrapped in 205/50 R16 Bridgestone Potenza RE002s.
- AutoExe Shocks with King Spring Low's (Less than ideal, will be sorted soon as below!)
- Rear guards rolled.
- Whiteline camber bolts in the rear.
- Injen cold air intake.
- Alloy coolant tank.
- Perry rear muffler.
- Oil Pressure and Water Temp gauges and associated senders ect.. - not really needed on a stock motor but it's nice to keep an eye on things considering the k's the car has done!
- Momo shift knob and boot.
- Sony double din touch screen head unit.
- Sparco pedal pads, makes heel toe shifting that much easier.
- HID's and led parkers.

So, as for future plans..
First thing on the list is a set of Yellowspeed Coilovers, the king springs are soft as butter and they're alright around town, but as soon as you get out on some bumpy hills roads the scrubbing is unbearable! It's trashing my guards and tyres so it needs to be sorted asap.

After that, the plan is to buy another fs-de and start building it up out of the car! I'm torn between building an indestructible N/A motor or going turbo. I'm leaning towards staying N/A because I like reliability and this car will be staying as my daily driver. I want everything to stay within stock specs, so stock compression and the ability to run the stock ecu until I go aftermarket engine management if I decide to go down that path. I'll be using all forged internals - I've heard that the FS-DE already has a forged crank so it would be great if someone could confirm that for me!

This is going to be my first rebuild and it will be happening pretty slowly because of money and time constraints. I'll be buying a second engine so I can take my time and make sure I do it right! I want this engine to last as long as possible without me having to worry about things breaking, that's the ultimate aim. It would be great to hear from people who have experience with the motor who can point me in the right direction!
bathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links