Thread: Will's SP20 2.0
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
afx31

Car: Mazda 323 Sp20 (2001)
****UPDATE****

Today I swapped in some new coil packs in hope to get rid of a certain pinging noise I've had since purchasing the car, on acceleration around 3k+ rpm. Thought was they were stuffed, causing no/poor spark and not igniting the fuel, resulting in pinging. However upon doing so didn't change. I was put in a new EVAP Purge Solenoid as I had a code for the other, as it was not working, no resistance on it. Now the new one works (code still stays, eh) but this pinging noise remains.

We thought maybe the knock sensor isn't working as if this noise was 'knock/detonation' it should retard timing and what not to protect the motor, yet when I drive it it drives fine, and fuel mileage is perfect. Unplugged the knock and on came a light so we knew it was working. So with it plugged in, it did nothing to correct knock, so that's lead us to believe this noise really isn't knock/detonation.

Tomorrow we will be having a look under the rocker cover to see if maybe noisy lifters or who knows.. hopefully something, I'd be happy if a valve was missing cause I'd know the problem :')
afx31 is offline   Reply With Quote