View Single Post
Old 20-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #15
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege View Post
I would like to add i'm not a fan at all of closed loop control or self learning. at the end of the day, you're spending money to get control of the engine, but you're then giving it straight back to the computer. self learning is a good idea, but i wouldnt trust it that much. and closed loop is just a wank factor imo. have a good tune and why have it?
Self learning aids in tuning time - alot. It's a big advanatge for a workshop.
But also if your trying a new combo.

Piggybackng is nice but I like the ECU to control the lot. But then again I don't like how new cars have everything running into it. From ABS to HVC.
Piggy backign is the only choice then.

But as for closed loop. It's must in NSW, for legality reasons.
Every car I know driven to the EPA test for legal testing to either get certified or pass defects. Has all failed on most aftermarket ECU's.
It's only the smart ones who have gotten away.
Most 90% will have to detune car totally.

Laws I know aint' as strick in QLD.

but here closed loop and running it up on the test aids Big time. Every car I know that has run closed loop has passed.
Because the majority of tersting is done for idel and crusie, on the rolling road. WOT is not tested as much.

It's a massive thing for rotarys or lumpy - large overlap cars.

Sure it don't effect fuel economy much but, if you can set it up - lock it out etc done keep EPA happy. Your the one who's going to be happy.

Plus in NSW it's getting tighter and harder.

Not so bad for a old car like mine, A simple Unichip would make it pass better then stock.
But newer models are burning so much cleaner, it's getting very hard make things legal.

It's said the EPA - defected a a 2 year old holden Commodore - not for air bags - not for wheels but for a dead CAT converter. Only had a cat back. This was on recent defeact station setup.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote