View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #46
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
So after the cruise, i got motivated.

Oh ****, my interior fell out!

Why? That thing in the foreground, that's why.
It's one of the dealer-fitted sunroofs back when the BA was new. It's an aftermarket ASC one, as as far as i know we never got the factory ones here. The only real difference is the ASC one has a metal seal around the edge, where the factory one has a rolled metal edge. I could get a rolled edge panel from japan, but it's $750 just for that

This is the roof bow that has to be cut out to fit the sunroof. It's really not that strong - the brace itself is pretty strong, but the ends where it joins into the sides are pretty thin - surprisingly so.

The headlining just fits out the front door without bending it too much, which is promising for getting the thing back in there! It's help in by a few clips at the back, but mostly by the window rubbers and the sunvisor bolts and light fixture.

Need to do some shopping to get some plastic tubing for the drainage pipes, and find somewhere to wire in the switch. It's a common ground, so easy there.

And i've managed to find an OEM sunroof control, which has the maps lights and the sunroof switch integrated, and it mounts between the sunvisors.

More to come this weekend.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote