Thread: photoshop tips.
View Single Post
Old 17-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
TheMAN

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
I use Photoshop for a living, so some of these may not apply to what you're doing

A few things:
- Subtlety of color is good - don't go crazy with that HDR ****. It looks crap and take away from the subject.
- A little extra saturation to boost the colors can be a good thing, but not to the point where you lose detail and shading of the color.
- Blacks don't have to be black if it makes the image to contrasted.
- Masking layers is a good thing, and it means the whole image is still there, just hidden.
- Layers are your friend - better to work from a copy and have the original in the same file if you stuff it up, just drag a new copy and start again.
- Learn the key command shortcuts - they save a lot of time.
layering is NOT possible with Lightroom. To do advanced masking as well as layering, all work in Lightroom must be exported into Photoshop to complete the task then (automatically) reimported to Lightroom to "develop" them.

layering is however possible in PSE as it is very much a traditional graphics editor, unlike Lightroom which was tailored made for photographers who can't be bothered learning the intricacies of computer graphics work... it does have many user friendly features though, which is why I recommend it to novices (as it is also cheap)... but there's still a learning curve of course

the no frills, cut dry functions and features of Photoshop though is great for people who know what they do and are used to doing this work... they can get this stuff done quickly, but can have a hard time getting used to Lightroom which has a very different interface and very different manipulation tools

agreed on HDR... it looks rubbish... I refuse to do this as it is no longer photography in spirit, in its purest form... I like natural looks!