View Single Post
Old 28-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
D.O.G.

Car: '98 1.8 Astina, Honda v-twin Magna
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G. View Post
It has a pod filter in place of the original air box, so it's sucking hot air from the engine bay. In theory that could be helping (by reducing pumping losses), in practice, I don't know by how much, if at all.

This is something on my "to do" list, compare this pod filter and the original set-up.
I read (on here? can't find it now) that the original set-up gives better torque at low revs than a pod. Can anyone comment if that's correct?
I removed the Pod and fitted an original air filter assembly for this tank. I can’t give you hard figures, but this is my “feeling” on the change.

The standard assembly is much quieter of course, take that as a plus or minus to suit your mood.

I believe I can feel a positive difference in torque at low rpm. I can take off from a dead stop while facing up hill easier than before and crawling past road works at 40kph in top gear seems easier.
If most of your driving is stop start traffic, this could be a help. Unfortunately, it’s not normally a big part of my commute.

OK, it’s all about the fuel economy for me, so how’d it do?

Because I don’t have OBD2, I can’t use a fancy gauge to track real-time fuel economy. That means I really have to try it over a few more tanks before being sure, it’s too close to call at present.
This tank averaged out to 5.27 l/100km (863km for 45.51l of fuel).
That’s good, but not so far from my average that it's cut and dried.

One down side of getting better fuel economy is that it's taking longer to get through a full tank (and it's made worse by having my Datsun back on the road now ).
I'll update this thread again as circumstances dictate.

Pete.