View Single Post
Old 27-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #4929
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisdaniel View Post
That's a great idea, where it is makes it impossible to glance at without taking your eyes right off the road was it as simple as extending some wires and mounting the led?
Oh yeah, in its original position I would have to physically turn and lower my eyes (and look around the steering wheel a bit) to see the indicator light and I couldn't see any of the road. Not good even if it is for only a second . I think there is supposed to be a light on the cruise control steering wheel controls but it has never worked.

I didn't need to extend any wires thankfully. My cruise control unit is a "factory" (dealer option aftermarket) unit that is mounted behind the instrument cluster towards the centre console. The cruise light wire runs down to the switch area under the gauge cluster so it is already long enough to go over the steering wheel shroud.

The only tricky bit is that there is a wire that connects into the dimmer switch for some reason. I wasn't going to remove it("if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality), so I just worked around it. It is just long enough to go from the module to the switch area and then back to the steering wheel shroud.

As for mounting the cruise light, I already have a ScanGauge II unit mounted in the steering wheel shroud. The ScanGauge has two RJ-45 ports, one on the back and one on the side. I have the ScanGauge OBD cable plugged in the back, so the RJ-45 port on the side is free. I simply got an RJ-45 plug (no wires), drilled a hole in it and mounted the light in there. I also had to drill a small hole in the steering wheel shroud as well but it was already cut up so I'm not worried

I will use this post in my project log (along with some piccies) when I update it this weekend

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote