Thread: SP BLING's SP23
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #16
SP BLING
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mazda 3 & BA Astina
21st September 08:

Modifications #659, 660 & 661 Completed today (and no I'm not actually counting lol!)

Thnaks to the help of Rob, Sanzy and m0nkeib0i888 we managed to get a fair amount of work completed today on the Bling mobile.

Balance Shaft
The 8.2kg lump of rotation mass in the sump has now been removed - known as a Balance Shaft and only found on the 2.3L to stop engine vibrations. It's a real messy job and consumed several hours. I had purchased an SCI (Sport Compact Industries) Balance Shaft Delete kit almost 2 years ago, but haven't had the want/need to fit it until now. The kit simply contains a plug for the oil gallery feeding the balance shaft and a plate to secure it in.

So people say that alot of vibrations are felt once you perform this mod, but after taking the car for a spin......Wow! The only vibrations are felt through the actual pedals and no where else. Vibrations only occur when revving on course, but I really like it as I can feel the engine revving now.

During the last oil change back in May 2008 ~ 5,000km ago, I fitted a magnetised oil sump plug. Well it actually works! No large metal shaving were found, but there was a bit of crud attached to it. Well worth the $15 if it'll keep collecting the minute metal shavings. We also cleaned out the bottom of the sump as well and removed all the traces of the old oil and oil pan sealant.

Lightweight Billet Pulleys
The pulleys are made by Medieval in the US and offer a weight saving of 292grams over the stock items. I purchased a 2 piece kit which replaced the water pump and the alternator pulleys. These are standard size pulleys, not underdrive, so the stock belt fitted straight back on.

Silicone Radiator Hoses
Yep to add to the show effect, we also fitted a set of RED silicone radiator hoses made by OBX. No real function apart from being stronger than the OEM rubber ones and it looks good! I get some pics up later.

Overall the car is defiently much more responsive and I can feel that a little more power has been gained, but maybe only a couple of kilowatts. Still good enough to give a little grief to a turbo'd MX5 tonight as he couldn't loose me along the straights
SP BLING is offline   Reply With Quote