View Single Post
Old 29-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
34ZDA

Car: sp20
major engine rebuild brisbane? (vics?!!)

went for weekend roadtrip last weekend in my sp20 (2003, 135k) which i've only had for almost three months. 500k from home and while cruising along highway suddenly it started to run bad like it was missing. i was 50k from the nearest town so eased it there and rang racq. the nrma guy came and looked at it. sure it wasn't running one cylinder (the end one by the belts) but other than an air leak somewhere (he couldn't find that) there were no bad sounds. when he inspected the spark plug we saw that something had hit it which he assumed must have been the piston.

thank goodness i've got racq ultimate for a motel and loser-cruiser ride home and car gets on a transport next week home to brissy.

i'd earlier read about the vics problem briefly so found the old thread here and sure sounds like i might be a victim. i'm wondering if bits have been going through the engine for a few weeks, possible or not? i remembered couple weeks back that i'd had the car for over two months and hadn't checked the oil since i bought it (it was freshly serviced and all was sweet then). the oil was on low so i topped it up. checked it again before the bad trip and it was down to half. i'd done maybe 500k in that time with a couple of long spirited mtn drives, but it didn't seem right. if not vics death what else? a broken rod? surely that would be noisy.

so now i need to find someone to pull it to bits and see how much is stuffed. will i need a new engine? is it better to get the existing one reconned? if i'm most likely going to need an engine rebuild are there any performance upgrades that might be worthwhile doing at the time?

for starters can anyone recommend a good place here in brissy to get it taken to?
34ZDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links