View Single Post
Old 30-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34ZDA View Post
i definitely want to keep the car. i paid $7500 three months ago for it and it's super tidy (except for the ding i put in it last week in a carpark..shame, but i was really tired...was supposed to get assessed yesterday for insurance claim..doh!) i've put a nice stereo in it, done a quality hid conversion of the fogs to high beam driving lights, there's a progress hd swaybar waiting for me to pick up tomorrow at the post office. i totally fell in love with it the first time i dropped from mt glorious down northbrook parkway, wow, i knew they were supposed to handle well but i was amazed.

i'm looking at this occurance as a chance to make the car better than it was, not necessarily upgraded, but at least less likely to suffer dramas again.

spending 4k doesn't frighten me so long as i'm going to get something reliable. the car will become my daily drive when it's fixed. my trusty 91 pulsar with 390k on the clock has been saved from its trip to the scrapyard next weekend (oh the irony).

Ice88, can you recommend someone i can take it to? it comes up on a truck late next week. it would be good if i was zoomzooming again in not too much more than a month or so.
Next set of questions.

Do you want to boost it? Or do you want to stay NA?

What do you want out of the engine? Mild increase or?

In either case you have two options:
1) Take the head off to check if the bore (piston side walls) are scored (read: marked/gouged) from the VICS screw/butterfly.
2) Take the engine out and sell it off as a dud to an engine recondition place. And purchase an intact working engine.

The reason I say this is if the bore is gouged/marked they will need to do some prep work which will change what parts you need in the end.

In either scenario and I was to have an engine assembled and done as a package I would take it to PLR. They have been awesome to me and know there stuff.

Have you thought about sourcing an FS-ZE engine from NZ? They can be had for about 1600-2k delivered. They have higher compression etc. Throw on a good set of extractors, exhaust and you'd be about 130 at the wheels.