Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
Liam's BA Hatch

So last week i picked up another BA Hatch, little rough on the surface but should come good with a little TLC. Paid $700 for it! Currently working on a few items for RWC;

Front/Rear Rotors & Pads
New Front Tyres
Replacement Drivers Window motor
Replacement Windshield

I also had to switch the tail-lights and rear garnish over from my other astina as they were smashed and do the master cylinder for the clutch, but i took care of that today with the help of a friend. Whilst we had bits out of the engine bay i spied a G series gearbox (score)! Found a few receipts too once i got the glovebox open... Aparently the motor was rebuilt at 290,000 and the gearbox had work done on it at about 275,000. I also found a 2.5in downpipe underneath (receipt for that is about 10 months old). Heres a few pics - sorry for the bad quality, had to use my crappy phone as my galaxy recently broke

Should look alright on 95% of the body after a good wash and a cut & polish.

Plans? At this stage im focussing on getting my RWC done (should be good to go with a new cert in 2 weeks or so). After that hopefully clean cookie will be hooking me up with a set of coils to drop it 30mm or so. Other plans include the following;

- HIDs
- New tint
- New speakers
- A visit to the panel beaters & a visit to the painters!
- Re-trim interior with leather & replace the carpet with something else (currently thinking something thick... still unsure though)
- Eye lids & smoked rear tailight & smoked rear garish (if i dont like the look ill paint it body colour)
- V6 Hubs & big brake conversion
- Remove all light grey interior pieces and respray them all black, re-trim headlinder in a black velour
- Install interior LEDs in the footwells (currently thinking a black light, might be cool)
- Change the dials to a white set and maybe change the needle colour (not sure yet)
- Front & Rear upper and lower strut braces & bigger sway bars on the rear.
- Possible future rebuild using weisco pistons, eagle rods, some bigger valves and new valve springs to match (not sure which type yet), new cams, cam gear & a bigger intake & throttle body to match, would rebuild the gearbox with a few longer gears (seen some stuff about putting a few gears in from an MX-6) and maybe an LSD too.

Thats more or less the lot, in no particular order but the stuff at the top is most likely to be done first.

Question though, anyone have a guide or some documentation about changing the motor in the windows of the BA? poked around a few forums and can only find stuff about replacing the bushes... had a real hard time getting the motor out of the other car to begin with... would like to have a bit easier time getting the old motor out and the new motor in, if anyone could either hook me up with a guide or a few pics and a detailed description or volunteer to help us out that would be primo.

Last edited by Alemenara; 01-02-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
We can fix this at my place no worries. I'll have everything you need. Can fix you up with tint, smoked lights and garnish in addition to brakes and springs etc.

Bring it to me and we can transform it over a weekend.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
We can fix this at my place no worries. I'll have everything you need. Can fix you up with tint, smoked lights and garnish in addition to brakes and springs etc.

Bring it to me and we can transform it over a weekend.
A friend offered to help me with the brakes tomorrow as they are getting pretty dodgy. So i'll post some pics of that up tomorrow and the new tyres are giong on next friday. Ill call you this week because hopefully ill have everything ready to go that weekend! btw any idea on how to replace the drivers electric window motor? have one sitting in the boot from my other astina, just need some help getting the old one out and the new one in without pulling everything completely to bits.

Also you wouldn't happen to have a red rear bumper would you? I have a metallic green one.... but i think it would look rather ridiculous...

Last edited by Alemenara; 01-02-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Clean_Cookie

It's a pita. Expect cut fingers. Easier to remove glass, track and motor as a complete assembly and drop it in.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
It's a pita. Expect cut fingers. Easier to remove glass, track and motor as a complete assembly and drop it in.
well... thats funny because the old glass is sitting in the backseat of the green one and i have 3 rails in 3 pieces because it just didn't want to come out any other way... ****ing bastard of a thing. I have the middle rail with the motor attached to it in the boot, can bring the other pieces if you want, but currently the window does not go up/down (only the drivers one) and its not the switch/wires. I believe i need that window to go up and down to pass roadworthy.. so it needs to be done.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
what a huge mess you have there. but is really is a great $700 project. you are gonna need to fix the right side rear damage for RWC aswell. all the plastic bumpers front and rear need to be attached correctly to metal mounting points to pass roadworthy. even if you bang it from the inside out, doesn't have to be perfect, just has to be the right shape.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
what a huge mess you have there. but is really is a great $700 project. you are gonna need to fix the right side rear damage for RWC aswell. all the plastic bumpers front and rear need to be attached correctly to metal mounting points to pass roadworthy. even if you bang it from the inside out, doesn't have to be perfect, just has to be the right shape.
Yeah was gonna bang it out in the next couple of days, was told a rubber hammer & some 6x4 should make most of it pop right back out. I also have another bumper to go on it... but its a green one.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

So a little bit of an update... progressing slowly as money is tight however i have done a few things....

With the help of clean cookie my rear brakes have been replaced... and you wouldn't believe how bad they were, the last owner must have spent all his money on the motor and the retarded exaust setup and neglected the rest because when we pulled the rotor off the drivers side at the rear this is what it looked like...

and one of the brake pads that were on it.....

The rear calipers were also jammed solid and one side was so bad it had no fluid in it. However ryan hooked me up with some new calipers (serious props for that) and all is good again. I also got new tyres for the front on thursday (just one of bridgestones own line of tyres...) and found out it wasn't just a bad wheel alignment that was causing the car to pull to the right as you can see in the photo's below..

so i guess i need another lower control arm for my front passenger's side, hopefully i'll be able to locate one soon. New windscreen is going in after i get paid next and hopefully i'll be able to locate a control arm for it before i get paid so i can sort that out aswell.

other stuff i've done since my last post? Removed the rear mudflaps as one was flapping about (broken) and the little black strips of plastic near the rear doors..

jobs for this week include fitting my drivers door regulator (if anyone local is reading this and keen to help send me a PM, will take me forever to do on my own as i have no idea). I have to remove the front mudflaps, give the car a good wash, wax and polish (hopefully the paint will come up okay) and shampoo the carpet as theres a few stains that i feel need removing.

Hopefully i'll also be fitting some LEDs in the front footwells after i get paid. Sad to say thats all that's on the cards for the next 3 weeks or so but hopefully if my extra set if rims sell i'll have a little extra cash to play with to add more.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
TheMAN

Car: .
oh god! that's disgusting! glad that car was cheap, for good reason!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
oh god! that's disgusting! glad that car was cheap, for good reason!
Disgusting indeed, wish i knew about it before i sold my spare astina.... i probably would have started swapping parts over from my red one immediately if i knew that. I guess lesson learnt? Oh well it's all a learning process and to be honest i've already spent far too much money on this one to go back now ( i believe it owes me somewhere in the realm of $1000 so far). That arm is going to be a PITA to get off and replace...
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

So today i was given a pair of 6x9s... being a slow day i decided i would hop to installing them...

Just a standard panel... nothing special here... yet

so i decided rather than mutilating my doors i would instead mount on my door cards for the time being

Just test fitting...

And we're done!

Also took off the front mudflaps whilst i was there. For now the speakers fit fine and i have plenty of clearance however i do plan to make a proper mount with fibreglass and a painted MDF & metal ring (mdf with a metal ring to use a retensioner bracket), however this should do for the next month or so.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
project.r.racing

Nice way to find a solution. I think I,m gonna replace my fronts soon.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Nice way to find a solution. I think I,m gonna replace my fronts soon.
well the way i see it is if i screwed up my door card i can either call on clean cookie, go to a wreckers or find something on ebay... whereas if i screw my entire door its a bit more serious... plus it doesn't sound half bad and i have no clearance issues.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
project.r.racing

I think I'm off to the wreckers for parts. Just get rhe run around from members on here with parts.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
I think I'm off to the wreckers for parts. Just get rhe run around from members on here with parts.
that sucks dude... well whilst you're digging let me know via PM if you see a red BA with a rear bumper thats intact or a decent condition set of series 3 seats (front & rear)
Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
project.r.racing

What wrong with you front seats? I have a front passenger seat spare here.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
Clean_Cookie

Got a set of s1, s2 and s3 seats. all unwanted in vgc to ok conditions depending. Ryan, your parts are so insignificant in the scheme of things and seen as rubbish to most unfortunately. I have got a light and the rear bulb out already. Still need that rear bumper thingo.
Old 13-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #18
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
What wrong with you front seats? I have a front passenger seat spare here.
the shoulders at the bottom are completely crushed on both seats, plus i like the look of the S3 black a little better (considering im going to be doing the headliner in a black velour and blackening ALL of the grey interior pieces soonish it will look alot cleaner)

Quote:
Got a set of s1, s2 and s3 seats. all unwanted in vgc to ok conditions depending. Ryan, your parts are so insignificant in the scheme of things and seen as rubbish to most unfortunately. I have got a light and the rear bulb out already. Still need that rear bumper thingo.
Yeah i need a new bumper, i could probably modify the mounting bracket on the passenger side and keep my current one but to be honest its cracked and as you saw has paint marks everywhere, i'd prefer to get a red one so it doesn't look quite so retarded whilst i wait for money to have the rear panel done and the rear end resprayed but at the end of the day i just need to get through RWC, thats more important than colour.
Old 13-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
project.r.racing

Quote:
Then say that in the first place then. To be rude and not contact people when you say you will is just being a arsehole. Dont worry about collecting those insignificant parts for me any more. Concerntrate on important significant things like meth injection.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 13-02-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 13-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemenara View Post
So today i was given a pair of 6x9s... being a slow day i decided i would hop to installing them...

Just a standard panel... nothing special here... yet

so i decided rather than mutilating my doors i would instead mount on my door cards for the time being

Just test fitting...

And we're done!

Also took off the front mudflaps whilst i was there. For now the speakers fit fine and i have plenty of clearance however i do plan to make a proper mount with fibreglass and a painted MDF & metal ring (mdf with a metal ring to use a retensioner bracket), however this should do for the next month or so.
Just an MDF spacer will do. Along with sound deadening to help with vibrations from a 6x9 other than that looks the goods.