Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 21-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #61
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylagana View Post
I was going to get the wing mysel I like it, although alot of people are against car mate a
It doesn't necessarily have to come from carmate and it doesn't NEED to be that exact wing but i want one in that style and roughly that shape. I think with what i want to do to the car it would suit as im not a fan of bodykits unless they are wide body kits that flow so well it looks stock and im not going to put a widebody on an astina, My 180sx thats a different story.
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #62
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

So i finished taking the tint off and i took the runs out of the blacked out rear bumper but since i started working on it quite late i didnt get the other 2 items on my list done, last day of work will be tomorrow! I took some photos in the daylight for once... my camera shat itself halfway through the shoot so there will be more to come.

Now i still have not been able to get my wheels back from my friend.... just gonna drive over there on monday if i haven't heard from him. But the wheels in the picture below are the ones going onto this car, if someone could do me a quick photo shop of that it would be great.

Old 22-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #63
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
looking good, now all you need to do is lower it
Old 22-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #64
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

So i am finally finished with my Astina until my wheels arrive. Everything on my bucket list is complete and its been a very long week. I finished taking the photos i was going to take before my camera went flat yesterday, don't get excited though as its only a camera phone

I realize there are alot of photos. Some are repetitive, if you apreciate them feel free to express that, if not please keep it to yourself, i like what the car looks like (aside from still missing my rims). The only thing i still want to do to the exterior of the car is remove the rear mudflaps but it can wait till i put my 17s on as i have to remove the wheel to get at 2 of the screws holding them on. I'd also like to remove the wing, however since it will leave dirty great big holes it can wait till i either get a respray or until i get a newer and better wing. After it is registered (hopefully next week, depending on my friend who has my wheels) it will get white door handles and it will get dumped on it ass, a strut bar will be slammed onto it and it will get a new exhaust. Both my tinted tail lights and indicators will be removed for non tinted ones for RWC of course and i will carry a spare set around with me incase i get police trouble.

Anyways enjoy the pictures.

Last edited by Alemenara; 22-03-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 22-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #65
ghetto3

Car: 97 ba 1.8 323
The blacked out bar and tinted blinkers work well together. Like war paint or something under its 'eyes'. you could squeeze an orange led in the corner of the low beam reflector to keep the authorities happy...enough to pass rego maybe.To get headlight lenses apart Just remove bulbs, steel retainer clips, and rubber boots and stick in your oven on a piece of dry pine plank. Bake at 70° (thats degrees¡) for five minutes while monitering constantly. pull apart at seams. Dont use MDF you will formalda-DIE! pine soaks the heat a bit so bottom wont melt.

Ive done this several times in a fan forced. ..no worries.

Last edited by ghetto3; 22-03-2013 at 07:14 PM.
ghetto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #66
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3 View Post
The blacked out bar and tinted blinkers work well together. Like war paint or something under its 'eyes'.
Yeah i thought it gave it a little more character aswell, didn't know if it would work at first but when i finally got around to blacking out the front bar i knew i had made the right choice, Will look so much better once its been dumped on its ass and my rims are on it. I also think that if i use a harsher cutting compound i can get the paint to come up even better as there are a few marks that i could not get out with a cream cutting compound, i may even have it done professionally and then maintain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3 View Post
you could squeeze an orange led in the corner of the low beam reflector to keep the authorities happy...enough to pass rego maybe.
I thought about moving the indicators like that and using the old indicators to make a low beam light. But i decided it was in the too hard basket to make it legal. I figure its easier to carry an extra set of lenses that aren't tinted in the boot and if for whatever reason i get police trouble i can change them on the spot. The tint on the indicators is really light and alot of light comes through it, infact in direct sunlight its more of a very light grey than a black, but it all depends on the angle you view it. The tail lights are a different story and will probably need to be done again if i want to keep them permanently, I've never really painted stuff that was meant to last more than a few weeks before now so im still learning.
Old 22-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #67
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
looking cleaner than mine! did you get some pin striping tape for the front? love the indicators, don't know if i can afford any trouble at this current time.
Old 22-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #68
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
looking cleaner than mine! did you get some pin striping tape for the front? love the indicators, don't know if i can afford any trouble at this current time.
Well the overspray is still on the doors and guards from my idiot friend so im still needing a better cutting compound to get rid of it (will probably chop it out with an electric buffer). But no i didnt use pinstriping tape, i used electrical tape and masking tape and the edge looks okay unless you get up REALLY close, i will probably redo the edge with pinstriping tape later down the track. I doubt the police will give you much trouble if you don't go overboard, but its certainly not legal.
Old 31-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #69
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

So it seems as if my now ex close friend has buggered off with my wheels, I may be wrong but i doubt it. So now I've had to buy some new ones so i can put my car on the road. the stockies are bald and will cost me around 300-400 to put new tyres on if i go with the cheapest nastiest tyres i can buy. I found a set of rims that i think will look okay once i paint them (will be painting them a gloss black) 2 tyres are like 90% and the other 2 are around 50%, should get me through rwc and only cost $250. Will be getting these on tuesday.

Old 31-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #70
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
old skool hyper fangs. haven't seen a full set of those since the 90s. geez i'm old.

being old skool rims also, i'd suspect they'd be 42/43/45, not 47 offset.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #71
project.r.racing

save some paint:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17-Inch-M...item3380dea3e9
Old 31-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #72
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
old skool hyper fangs. haven't seen a full set of those since the 90s. geez i'm old.

being old skool rims also, i'd suspect they'd be 42/43/45, not 47 offset.
The guy specifically said they were a 47 offset and he was adament about it. He may be wrong, but thats what he told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
I have a limited budget, those are $150 more and 2 tyres need doing for a RWC, it would be counter productive.
Old 31-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #73
project.r.racing

make sure the tyres on the other then have a 84 load rating. only limit 205/40R17 do so.
Old 31-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #74
Clean_Cookie

I have a full set of rims with brand new tyres on them, 5 spoke similar to the v6 alloys, but 4 stud. Let me know if you want them, being 16", tyres are cheaper and more comfortable...came off a wreck I bought. If you remember the dark green hatch.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #75
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Wheels are now on the car except for one as one had an 80 load limit. rest are an 84, so it's currently at a tyre shop getting a new tyre... bummer too cuz it was one of the tyres with 90% tread.... oh well.

Will be posting pics up soon, also planned a new paint scheme for the wheels. Going to be painting the face of the wheel in a piano high gloss black and the rest of the wheel in a white to suit the rest of the car, should make the car look fairly unique. If i don't like it i'll either paint the entire rim black, silver or i'll do a bright JDM colour and get spacers.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #76
Ben

Car: MPS
I personally like them silver. Post some pics up with them on
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #77
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I personally like them silver. Post some pics up with them on
Got back from running errands and picking my wheel up with a new tyre, decided not to put it on the car yet because i'm going to paint them, i saw a set with a similar paint setup recently in a drift wheel shop and i really think it will set this car off with the colour scheme im going for and im sure when it's done you will agree with me. Took some photos just for you ben :P

Sorry for the poor quality, can't be assed backing the car into the light esp since it barely has enough fuel in it to start at the moment. In a couple of the photos you can see i have left a stockie on the front drivers side, wheel is being prepped for paint.

Since the wheels are all in this condition, this is my reason for painting them....

And the small arsenal of paint and materials i bought today for the job, i bought enough incase i make a major boo boo and get a collosal run in a vital area or incase i just dont like it.

EDIT: Thanks for Ryan (Project.r) for saving me from making a collosal mistake by putting a tyre with an 80 load limit on my car.. thanks dude props.

Last edited by Alemenara; 08-04-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #78
Clean_Cookie

my only concern is how well that paint will hold up to higher temps near the brakes. Almost burnt my hand on the center of my rim yesterday after a thrashing.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #79
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
my only concern is how well that paint will hold up to higher temps near the brakes. Almost burnt my hand on the center of my rim yesterday after a thrashing.
i have a high heat clear (8 cans worth) so im gonna go with 2 cans of clear per wheel, it should encase the rest of the paint quite well and keep it well preserved. If not, i'll repaint again later.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #80
Ben

Car: MPS
Im all for painting after seeing the reason why haha. Plus you can always paint over it if it looks bad is my motto.

Also if you wanna cruise down with me if your coming to the photoshoot thing let me know
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote