Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #41
rolly

Car: Hirsch SAAB, Clio RS, Lantis R
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
Yup read the whole thread. I guess since you haven't even thrown up a link to the supp regs that we're all guessing on ways to help.

I guess the comp can be pretty lop sided since you need to keep things completely stock. I also guess when deciding to compete in this type of comp, that vehicle selection really need to be though out before purchase.
Car selection is vital - finding the top performing cars for 2k or under is the hard part

DC2 teg Si for under 2k? yeah nah. the 2 gen 3 Mr2's are legit, and they suck in the wet

the Civic that won race two is not legit and will not be allowed to appear again based on a conversation I just had.

Mine is bone stock type R (no stripping or lowered etc) and can get into a corner faster than the tegs and the Mr2's it just gets left behind on the straight. It will certainly be interesting to see how we go on the twisty circuits that are less dominated by big power.

Oh and the mazdas are the only ones that are well under 2k the rest of the front runners were all bought for 2k before they even did anything .
rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #42
Lantis racer

Car: 95lantis
Good point on the rules, see below page and let us know any loop holes you can see,

http://2kcup.com/?p=5

Also 2kcup on facebook has photos and videos of the Competition.
Lantis racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #43
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
If you were really looking to squeez as much out of the car as possible I'd recommend tearing the motor down and replacing the piston rings & bearings and possibly replacing the pistons themselves aswell with higher compression ones. I'd also recommend changing the clutch out for something with better clamping force. Whilst you have the motor pulled apart i'd thoroughly clean the intake manifold as they like to gum up with carbon deposits same goes with the throttle body. I'd also recommend remapping the fuel maps (if you know someone) so you get the most out of 98 octane fuels. If you really wanted to go the extra mile you could also change the VRIS points and maybe also make your own engine mounts out of polyurethane so you get better throttle response. Apart from that the only things i could recommend is using plugs that provide a twin spark and possibly stripping out the rear window motors, heater core & fan etc and any sound deadening you can get at. Maybe also consider using braided brake lines aswell, and a replacement fuel pump can't hurt either.

Last edited by Alemenara; 02-10-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #44
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantis racer View Post
Good point on the rules, see below page and let us know any loop holes you can see,

http://2kcup.com/?p=5

Also 2kcup on facebook has photos and videos of the Competition.
Quote:
2.0.1: The following parts are open AS LONG as they retain the same design and functionality (when compared to the standard unit):

■Brake pads
■Braided brake lines in place of rubber lines.
Suspension Springs. (this cannot be interpreted as valve springs or any other springs)
■Engine Air filter (panel design).
■Strut Braces, one per axle allowed, only if fitted from factory.
■Engine Clutch (this cannot be interpreted as diff clutch packs)
■Steering Wheel (this cannot be interpreted as the turning wheels on the exterior of the car)
The way I read that is you could go lowered and stiffer springs. Lowered and sriffer springs still are the same design and functionality.

And a jdm rear brace would also be acceptable since you have a massed produced jdm car.

Quote:
2.3: Tire Eligibility: DOT-approved street tires only; minimum tread depth 1.5mm; minimum treadwear rating 190, no exceptions. No DOT rated semi slick tires allowed.
Cannot help you out with tyres. The writer of the rules hasn't a good grasp on english grammer or spelling.

One side note I will add the they allow roll cages. Interior panels can be removed to accommodate the roll cage. May be a way to bypass some rules. And a roll cage will also stiffen up the rear end if you cannot find a jdm strut brace. Yeah its a big cost, but will drasticly improve the vehicles handling if you can find equal weight savings.

---

It's amazing to think they let you charge around panel rubbing without a roll cage. Oh well, keeps the costs down. They'd never allow it here in oz.

Because you a limited with mods that might otherwise level the play field. Car choice is critical. I'm doubtful you'd find a early 90s mazda that could compete with a early 90s honda or pug. their marketing departments back then were aimed at very different people.

If you could find a old mitsubishi cyborg, the you'd have a 90hp 900kg weapon on your hands. we never got them in australia as our import rules were that relaxed until about 8 years ago.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 02-10-2013 at 06:53 PM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #45
ghetto3

Car: 97 ba 1.8 323
I found the bit about panel damage or visible primer paint getting you the boot a bit weird.
Extensive damage yeah, i guess but it doesn't seem to fit with low budget 'av a crack' racing.
Nascar style shannigans or blighty touring car tactics aren't cool for sure, but "rubbing" is inevitable when you combine limited regs' and limited abilities.
ghetto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #46
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3 View Post
I found the bit about panel damage or visible primer paint getting you the boot a bit weird.
I've seen it a few times before in other categories.

Mainly its the perception that if you have alot of cars running around with multiple coloured panels and primer showing. The cars look like junkers. Junkers are perceived as dangerous. And the category would be trying to distance themselves from that perception.

Motorsports has a very large political presence in the background that many do not know about. Clubs and categories are continiously fighting for fame and fortune. Any little dirt any category can dig you for, is more money and track time for their own category.

And at a guess the running without roll cages is borderline anyway. So the organisers of the category need to keep the NZ motorsport chiefs happy to keep it running.

Anyone that used to do skidpan days or motorkhanas with me can confirm that bad perceptions can kill of a category or an event. Politics always gets in the way.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 02-10-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #47
ghetto3

Car: 97 ba 1.8 323
Kudos to all you guys that do put the time, effort and cash into tracking your cars...
The bull**** does stop with the flag drop.

Those limited abilities far exceeding my own, i mental blanked on the spelling of ametuer, amature...spellcheck where art thou!
ghetto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #48
Lantis racer

Car: 95lantis
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
I've seen it a few times before in other categories.

Mainly its the perception that if you have alot of cars running around with multiple coloured panels and primer showing. The cars look like junkers. Junkers are perceived as dangerous. And the category would be trying to distance themselves from that perception.

Motorsports has a very large political presence in the background that many do not know about. Clubs and categories are continiously fighting for fame and fortune. Any little dirt any category can dig you for, is more money and track time for their own category.

And at a guess the running without roll cages is borderline anyway. So the organisers of the category need to keep the NZ motorsport chiefs happy to keep it running.

Anyone that used to do skidpan days or motorkhanas with me can confirm that bad perceptions can kill of a category or an event. Politics always gets in the way.
It's also to keep competitors inline, there was a couple of rubs that happened over the weekend with 1 warning to a repeat offender but they have that rule for if someone starts being an idiot and goes over the top as a way to get them out.
Lantis racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #49
4dnut

Car: Rs1600 grp2 lotus 47gt
HiGuys,
Our social club at work owns the quicker 205 you mentioned. Firstly I would like to say I had never thought of a Lantis, but that LSD is going to pay massive dividends. Good choice on the Lantis. People have said about the diffenence in the two 205's. Don standard road pads, cheap Chinese tyres no wheel alignment,never raced. We are race guys ,I have raced for oveer 20years and still do, my brother hasn't raced for a few years but has 20 years race experience. We changed shocks and springs and gave the car a full setup. The rear torsion bars do allow for some corner weighting. As for power, its a joke. My buddy has a rolling road at home. wait for it , it makes 106.5hp at the wheels. Basically the car handles well and carries great corner speed and is crazy light(860kg).What I like is that my brother can return to racing as its cheap,racing is close with many different types of cars. Oh yeah, we stuffed up on tyres, we got given at set of tyre the same size that were on the car, we have replaced with slightly smaller. We haven't made a fuss, haven't complained about anyone elses cars, just want to go and have a cheap bit of fun for the weekend.
Paul
4dnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #50
Badger

Car: Lantis-R
And the 309 lower arms to give more camber?

But seriously it's a nice car you guys have, I'm just pissed you managed to find one so cheap given that I've been looking for one that nice as a road car for years!

Last edited by Badger; 05-10-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #51
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SE20 Protege; 6A13tt FTO
I wonder if there would've been any FTO's around cheap enough to compete. Would be interested to see how it would fare.
bjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #52
Badger

There's an FTO racing in the series. The GPX/Mivec ones are ineligible.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #53
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
There's an FTO racing in the series. The GPX/Mivec ones are ineligible.
Ahh, fair enough. A GR/GX or a 4 cyl?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #54
Badger

A GR I believe
Old 05-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #55
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

How're they doing? Haha.

I drove a Lantis as a hire car once when mine was getting repaired (blocked radiator). Seemed pretty nippy, but unsure if it was the V6 or not.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #56
Badger

They weren't running at Round 1, expect to see them at Round 2
Old 05-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #57
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dnut View Post
HiGuys,
Our social club at work owns the quicker 205 you mentioned. Firstly I would like to say I had never thought of a Lantis, but that LSD is going to pay massive dividends. Good choice on the Lantis. People have said about the diffenence in the two 205's. Don standard road pads, cheap Chinese tyres no wheel alignment,never raced. We are race guys ,I have raced for oveer 20years and still do, my brother hasn't raced for a few years but has 20 years race experience. We changed shocks and springs and gave the car a full setup. The rear torsion bars do allow for some corner weighting. As for power, its a joke. My buddy has a rolling road at home. wait for it , it makes 106.5hp at the wheels. Basically the car handles well and carries great corner speed and is crazy light(860kg).What I like is that my brother can return to racing as its cheap,racing is close with many different types of cars. Oh yeah, we stuffed up on tyres, we got given at set of tyre the same size that were on the car, we have replaced with slightly smaller. We haven't made a fuss, haven't complained about anyone elses cars, just want to go and have a cheap bit of fun for the weekend.
Paul
300kg lighter than a lantis. no wonder you corner better.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #58
4dnut

Car: Rs1600 grp2 lotus 47gt
Actually 205 Peugeot sport arms. C'mon George , In the forums you saying you just want to go racing but rumours tells me your the one complaining alot about peoples cars? We still have radio and alarm in our car, I've heard of people stripping excess weight even removing rear wiper motors. We just want to go and have a bit of fun. No one respects a whinger.

Paul
4dnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #59
Badger

Red face

Come on, there's a bit of a difference between running non factory suspension components and removing a broken rear wiper blade. I would happily trade my rear wiper for a full Mazdaspeed suspension setup! ;-) If you want to split hairs we're also running without an interior lamp on the inside as the mount isnt there for the non sunroof variant on the sunroof cars and we removed the indicator self-cancelling as it wouldn't work with the boss kit for the steering wheel we have used.... but I don't really think the organisers care too much about such things.

And I have complained about nobody at all. James has asked my opinion on a couple of cars and my response has always been if the organisers deem it legal to race I'm happy to race it. It was another racer in the series that noticed from a photo how much camber your car was running and just remarked that it would be awesome if they ran that much from factory :-)

I too just want to go racing and I accept that your car is as quick as it is through just good preparation and time spent on it, which is awesome. We've built our car with the rules in mind and we've been very open with what we've done with the car as you can see in this thread. You're already at a massive advantage with your experience behind the wheel and experiences and resources in setting up the car, you guys shouldn't need to be pushing the limits of the rules to be running at the front when most of the guys in the series (myself included) are first time racers just wanting to go out and have some fun.

Winning isn't what we are in it for, we chose the wrong car for that. We wanted something cheap and reliable that looked like a bit of fun that could hopefully chase the tail of the leaders. We'd rather be in 8th having some doorhandle to doorhandle battles than be winning by half a lap

Last edited by Badger; 06-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #60
project.r.racing

It's why series like this always turn to s@#t after a few seasons. Its not a level playing field for everyone, and s@#t always gets thrown up.

Personally I like the series that leave suspension and wheels open. does make the cars $1000 more expensive, but everyone can be brought up to a level playing field if the owner is will to do so.

Ballast is the only way to really even up the field in the current rules and regs for this series. But adding say a 10/20/30kg block of cerment (for 1st/2nd/3rd) to a car means all cars need mounting points designed and fabrucated in the same location for all cars. Kinda hard when its a low cost series and all interiors must stay in place.

If the pug 205 has sport arms, and the pug 205 is a sport model, then it is witin the rules. If it is not a sport model, then it is illegal.

In the end, if you are just doing it for fun, you gotta let the above stuff go. Accept the Lantis's flaws of ****ty soft suspension and over weight issues. And prepare to strut when you do get a win over you lighter more powerful competitors.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 06-10-2013 at 10:20 AM.