Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 25-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Quazimoto

Car: Suzuki Swift GTi at the moment but am interested in Astinas
Please help with some noises from a 95 Laser

Hi guys,
I'm new, though I've been a member for a few weeks this is my first post. don't own a Mazda - I love a few Astinas though so I decided to sign up but I've got some questions about a friend's car if that's OK...

Oh I should also say I've learnt a bit over the last year about the basic diagnostics and repairs but am still not far above the average guy on the street.

So after driving this girl's 95 KJ (I think?) Laser sedan, I've found it has a few different noises.
One is turning left, only after a certain amount of angle (eg. 60 degrees or so) it will soooort of click but not exactly, kind of sounds like a clunk but kind of like a click too. I'm aware that a clunk will be the wheel nuts not being tight, and a click will often be a CV joint but this is sort of half way. I checked the wheel nuts and they're tight.
She said she had the CV BOOT replaced and the noise has been better (quieter) since then. Then I found out she only had ONE replaced but she didn't know which one. There is no noise when turning right.
Replacing the CV boot isn't the same as replacing the entire joint is it?

Also, if the right one needs replacing, will it click turning right or turning left? I don't know if it's opposite because of the load on the car or what...

My friend (much better 'mechanic' than me) suggested wheel bearings too so I'd like to hear what you guys think.

The other noise is a fairly substantial squeak from the rear when going over bumps. I am savvy enough to know it's going to be suspension related but I had a look at the right side rear suspension and couldn't see anything wrong. There was some red dust left by the little pillow things that are inside the shock absorber boot. I cleared away the dust but I can't imagine that would do anything.

I've got some photos just in case you guys can see something obvious but I'm thinking it looks like the forum doesn't have an upload function, just a linking function - so maybe they can wait.

Again my mate suggested something - spraying some kind of lube (WD40 or whatever) up on the bushes and tapping them with a hammer - he's a Toyota guy though so I thought I'd see what you guys thought first.

Anyway, sorry for such a long mooching question as my first post - hopefully I'll be here one day as the owner of an SP20 or Astina V6.
Quazimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
CV joint most likely.
Bearings make a completely different noice.

1000s of possiblilties for the rear squeak. WD40 + hammer will not solve the problem.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Quazimoto

Car: Suzuki Swift GTi at the moment but am interested in Astinas
Please help

Cheers mate - sorry I took SO long to reply, I tried once or twice and my net kept crashing. Haha evidently it doesn't like Mazdas.

So she got it looked at again and yep they reckon CV and say that it's really expensive in that car? They recommended not worrying about it so it doesn't SOUND like they're trying to rip her off, but you guys might know if that's true of a 95 Laser...
Quazimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
BGSP
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BG SP Astina
CV shouldn't be too expensive, not sure what they're worth for a KJ though
Old 19-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
replacing boot only is a waste of time. while the boot has been broken, dirt and stones as got in, while all the grease has got out. would cost around $180 to replace a boot.

also replacing a cv joint only is a waste of time. more labour costs are involved and and eats up the cheaper cost of buying only a cv joint and not a whole shaft. would cost around $200 to replace a joint.

so replace the whole shafts. is works out nearly the same price.

drivers side = $250
passenger side = $280 (cos they have to drop the gearbox fuild when doing that shaft. and charge you $30 for new fuild.)

you get new boot/s, axle/s, cv joint/s - and it's only cost you $50 more at the time.

replacing cv joints or boots only is cheaper buy really only a band-aid option and will cost you more in the future.

note - the above prices is for a mechanic charging $100 per hour. all the above jobs would be $20-$30 cheaper if you found a mechanic charging $85-$90 per hour.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 19-04-2010 at 08:48 PM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote