Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
TheMAN

Car: .
Middle East spec battery cooling duct installed!

I installed my long waited EDM turbo diesel gearbox mount a few days ago and while I was at it, I went ahead and installed the battery cooling duct I got back in August. One of the things Mazda cheaped out on for the BJ was battery cooling because the BG and BA had it worldwide. For the BJ, this was restricted only to the Middle East versions. I live in a fairly torrid climate and in an effort to prolong battery life, which saves me money towards better things, I went through the trouble of getting this battery duct from Europe.

If you all ever wonder why there's a funny looking scoop on the "useless" battery box, you will about to see what it's for!

The battery duct runs along the left side frame of the car towards the front. Mazda already has cut a hole in the sheet metal to feed air to the duct rather than getting hot air from the A/C condenser or radiator

the battery box fits perfectly into the duct

there was only one problem that's pretty much unique to me and several others... the battery cooling duct interfered with the autoexe ram air intake support stay, so I bent it out of the way and installed it at a different location from where it's supposed to be... this is no surprise considering that JDM BJs had no uprated cooling parts for hot climates

I had to use the factory bolt to mount the coolant reservoir bracket again, and then find a shorter bolt to mount the intake support stay as the autoexe supplied one was too long

so everything fits good and the car is ready for summer again lol
battery duct should work better if I have a bigger battery as air will be forced to go inside the box and out the back instead of out the front of the box now... I can always slide the battery up of course but the battery strap might hit one of the filler caps... I cbf bothering with it right now

Last edited by TheMAN; 09-12-2013 at 03:05 PM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
never noticed on a BJ. Ba I know had it.

Irony here in Aus - how many mechanics go and change the battery rip out half the insulation covering and plastic covers when putting in a new battery.

Then again considering the size of the battery even new Mazda 3's massive. compared to well what was fitted. 13 plate units when older 323's had 9 plate's in them LOL maybe 220CCA.

You can find your self getting around 5-7 years out of a decent battery if it's not abused.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
TheMAN

I got 7 years out of the original battery in my SP23, but it had been yearly maintained by topping up the electrolyte and giving it a full charge... the SP23 also comes with a battery cooling duct from the factory... they deleted this in the BL and BM

my protege never faired so well... they only lasted 3 years each time... it's now on its 3rd battery and is always on a ctek charger when not driven
Old 10-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
rodhog

Yeah I 've found the long term heat the issue - EG why they put the ducts in.

most of the local cars used often by say retires last 6 years if factory fitted and most aftermarket some can get 4 years on decent unit. I think because most use the car often but don't drive far. even in summer they drive in the morning early - Got to pick up the pension from the bank first thing.
So the battery never are effected by long term massive heat soak.

Compared to Van's and Utes in cars Driven hard and for long periods.
Even a E-class I see serviced often used for mostly long trips never lasts in fact it had to get it's internal under dash unit replaced as well.

Edwin anything in your bay you can ceramic coat to keep temps down might also help if you can find time to remove send away etc.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
TheMAN

my exhaust manifold and turbo outlet pipe are ceramic coated, full heat shields installed too
Old 11-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
rodhog

nice - ever measured what temps you get ?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
TheMAN

no, never bothered... I don't have an EGT, but my engine bay never gets sizzling hot because I run a mazdaspeed low temp thermostat