Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 27-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Talking Naughty's TX3 Turbo 4WD

Project to start soon:

Pick her up next Wed. Be a couple of months til I grab a spanner. Have tax to do. Fix my daily up for RWC etc to sell first & get the TX3 RWC down here so, need it stock till then.

Mods/work @ point of sale:

Full engine build:
new gaskets top and bottom, new bearings, new pumps, new timing belt and gears, 50thou over sized pistons and rings honed & balanced
HKS turbo boost controller which is set to stock as engine still running the (only about 100km on it) with programming manual
HKS turbo timer
New radiator
2 1/2" to 3" exhaust system to
New rear shocks and springs
Alarm and anti deterant locks
Sony radio cd mp3 player

List of first goodies I will be adding/changing (not major mods for now):

a) Sound System major install
b) Upgrade Dump;Turbo VF10?
c) FMIC & plumbing
d) Intake piping
e) Interior bits

Dunno from here. Won't be a fast track project.

Here's a few pics:

My shepherds hehe:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 29-07-2013 at 07:45 PM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Welcome back Tim

i look forward to seeing more on this car

PS no offence get rid of that hood scoob. its not a subbie

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
Welcome back Tim

i look forward to seeing more on this car

PS no offence get rid of that hood scoob. its not a subbie
Don't worry Mat, I will be

Will be a little while til I start mods as I have to get bthe commodore ready to sell. Fuel pump is farked & needs injectors cleaned etc. I've hot wired it to run on LPG til it is fixed hehe

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 29-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Evilist

Car: Mazda 323
looks good and tidy, love people who still work on BFs rare bunch of cars

1985 Mazda 323 BF5P - FE3T powered
1988 Mazda Familia BFMP XG-I FE3 Powered
Evilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
Don't worry Mat, I will be

Will be a little while til I start mods as I have to get bthe commodore ready to sell. Fuel pump is farked & needs injectors cleaned etc. I've hot wired it to run on LPG til it is fixed hehe
You are the LPG master

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 29-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilist View Post
looks good and tidy, love people who still work on BFs rare bunch of cars
Yep. I toyed @ getting a Mazda again but with a bigger engine. Then I saw this & it was luv @ first sight lol. It kinda gets in your blood once you've tasted the fiery lil' blighters doesn't it. Engines are so manic. I regret what I did to the BFGT. Wish I had finished it instead of sending it to the graveyard. What a waste

I never got to drive the GTX I bought for the running gear transplant years back for more than 5 mins. A few may remember I broke 2nd gear on it's first run. Was whinning when I drove it. Had an old disco potato on it Evil. I still reckon too much for these. I know some do it right but. This was a butcher job. Exh mani was a shocker.

This little TX3 number is for keeps! I want to take my time & do it right. Revisit all the stuff I'd learnt. I also am committed to putting something away for the future. But still will relish doing this up. Not real sure how just yet. I don't want to go too big on the turbo so to loose the nippy character it has. I won't really quite know what the previous owner has done til I get it back here & have a look on Thurs/Fri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
You are the LPG master
hehe. Had enough practice Mat RACV came out & I asked him to show me how to short the primer into play without petrol (duel fuel system) Then, wired in a switch using a motorbike horn switch. Works a treat.

Old 29-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Evilist

Looks like it wont need much work, I would take off all the bling tho return most of it back to stock

Old 29-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Looks like it wont need much work, I would take off all the bling tho return most of it back to stock
Yeah. I'm tossing up whether to put a tactful reverse scoop on if it has had a hole cut in bonnet? Just wanna give it a bit more boost/power to overcome the extra weight of the 4WD gear. Do the interior up a bit. Looks a bit mundane

I kinda like the wheels though. They keep with the Laser tradition (somewhat) I reckon.

Old 29-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Evilist

Quote:
Yeah. I'm tossing up whether to put a tactful reverse scoop on if it has had a hole cut in bonnet? Just wanna give it a bit more boost/power to overcome the extra weight of the 4WD gear. Do the interior up a bit. Looks a bit mundane

I kinda like the wheels though. They keep with the Laser tradition (somewhat) I reckon.
what turbo does it have atm? I haven't driven a 4wd one in years since the last time I owned one. I'm always scared to drive one because I might blow up the gearbox haha

maybe go for a look like this? Stock but still really nice.

Old 29-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
NaughtyGT

Quote:
what turbo does it have atm? I haven't driven a 4wd one in years since the last time I owned one. I'm always scared to drive one because I might blow up the gearbox haha
Sorry Evil, had to walk the dogs. Nah, that's too stock for my liking. I don't wanna change the body look. Quite like it actually. Just want to customise the interior perhaps. Sort the bonnet out. I know it was lower because he had to put new rear shocks for blue slip.

Yes, know all about the gearboxes but, will probably look @ the teflon gears same as Gav & others have used. See how it goes once I drive her a bit. Put a couple of 100k's on it down here.

Engine wise. I'm not sure waht turbo he's running? Don't wanna hassle him too much as I feel he may be a little pissed @ losing dollars recently spent on the engine build. I'll hassle him on Weds when I pick it up & see the receipts etc.

I can't remember the extra weight of the 4WD running gear. 100kgs ex?

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 29-07-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 29-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
NaughtyGT

The 4WD is 200 kg's heavier The GT/FWD are about 995kg's & the GTX/4WD are 1200 odd. This is what I luved about FWD Naughty

50HP upgrade just from not much more changes than exhaust, CAI & boost to 15psi. I still think I'll put a bigger turbo on it if it hasn't already been done?

It has a 2 1/2 to 3" already so, that's one upgrade I can tick on the list.

Old 29-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
nice. Memory's nothing beats the 3 door either. I always laughed at how a convert 5 door hatch use to beat a friends Tx3 4WD. But he babied his Box. It lasted forever I think it was due to the clutch my self more so then anything else. As long as you weren't in a high gear or drop it the clutch never slipped. 6-9 years of thrashing around the hood - handed down from bro to bro to Cuzin to me to fix and sell back to Bro and then Impound - released - then sold and then to one day in Penrith we found it in Penrith Panthers.

I have a massive soft spot for Tx3's especially this shape. Soon as I see one I think piece and needle valve and then I think Gemini on blocks bro and then I think about the BP conversion and then it just brings back all them good times.

Evilst that things the white one all it needs is dropped more ROH rims oh yeah I can feel 1996 all over again and dark tints the full defect 15% bro.
I think my fav feature was the rear spoiler - Don't try and drag anyone on maccers trays or blades using it as hang on either, it don't end well especially if he packs in the front row.

Can't wait to see this get going. I hope you do a bit better colour co-ordination or at least make less silly looking.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Quote:
50HP upgrade just from not much more changes than exhaust, CAI & boost to 15psi. I still think I'll put a bigger turbo on it if it hasn't already been done?

It has a 2 1/2 to 3" already so, that's one upgrade I can tick on the list.
cough cough vf10/vf8/vf12 with bpt dump pipe as it flows better cough cough.

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 30-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
Evilist

id go for VF8 nothing smaller, the VF10 just doesn't flow enough if you want to just have some nice power VF8 is the way to go.

I am actually building a B6T atm will use a VF8 i'm mostly just going to use that motor as a daily engine.

Old 30-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
NaughtyGT

Thanks for comments. I just don't wanna rid the car of the peppy characteristic. Don't wanna go too big with lag. I need to think out the FMIC, piping etc too. I will fix the bling crap up yes!

First, I have to fix the Commodore to sell. So, be a couple of months til I get my teeth into the TX3 I reckon. Have to do Tax as well damn it......

Old 31-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #16
NaughtyGT

Life. You know. Just tosses you a curve bal, you can't duck from huh?

Text from seller. "So sorry. Any chance you can postpone picking the car up (I have booked a flight to Sydney for today as it's not running right. Need to sort this!"

Think I'll forget it now but risk losing the 100 deposit. I trusted this guy as he has done his ass on the rebuild but, I've been bitten before. Need to consider walking away. I already have swapped shifts @ work. He believes it is nothing serious but I'm down here. He's up there. He may be doing me a favour?

EDIT" He is giving me deposit back & has offered the airfare returned if I choose to go ahead with sale @ a later date. So, with deposit back, I'm still out for the airfare for now. Only $85. Think I'll look for something down here & skip the interstate buying. Sorry guys for the start of this thread only to have this happen but, maybe someone can take something from it? Like, buy in tour home state?

Think I just wanted back in & never saw the forest for the trees? (interstate buying I mean)

EDIT EDIT I'm wondering now moreso, whether he was offered a higher price as even though EBay add was taken down, when I offered my price & was accepted, Carsales add is still running. I can't offer him more now obviously as he'd then have to conceed lieing about it not running right all of a sudden?

Think I'll let this one go fellas. Really was looking forward to this car in a big way but, there's that fishy smell in my nose right now. I'm not humiliated as much as annoyed. I can let the airfare pass as long as I get the deposit returned as promised. Even this sounds a little fishy? The more I ponder on why he had to build the engine soon as he got it basically. Bad luck or something more sinister?

I'll keep in tough anyway as I really miss this forum & all you guyz. The honest, friendly help you show toward one another. It's a credit to yuz all & the forum & to Dan AaaaaaaaaaaND!!!!!!!!!! Marcs now a mod

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 31-07-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 31-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Evilist

Find a FWD one and be done with it :P guts on the sale but at-least now you can find something you can look at in person.

Old 31-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
NaughtyGT

In hindsight I know buying local is of course the sensible thing to do evil but, NSW cars do get maintained as they need their blue slip or whatever every year.

Heaps of cheap cars @ moment but, heaps of liers too......shark infested if you know what I mean.

Old 31-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
Evilist

Quote:
In hindsight I know buying local is of course the sensible thing to do evil but, NSW cars do get maintained as they need their blue slip or whatever every year.

Heaps of cheap cars @ moment but, heaps of liers too......shark infested if you know what I mean.
yeah man its everywhere like that, here its probably even worse, but here you get what you come across its hard finding a decent BF now a days and I don't like other cars lol

Old 31-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
z100

Car: 2003 Protege Sp20
Sounds to me like you dodged a bullet. Personally, I would never buy a cheapish car I couldn't look at in person easily. If you only lose 80 odd dollars it's a cheap lesson!
z100 is offline   Reply With Quote