Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 20-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Sp20Bj220

Car: 2001 astina SP20
Question 2001 BJ Sp20 -Auto to Manual Conversion

Hey guys,

i have been a fan of astinaGT for a while (only today have i grown the courage to make an account haha) and i know auto - manual conversions have been covered from head to toe in the past (hence why i feel stupid asking this) but i havent been able to find much on the '01 BJ series Sp20. I am assuming that most of the fundamental parts are identical to the BG conversion as i have done my research over and over but ive been thinking :

-i heard that the auto ecu is not compatible with manual so are there differences between the SP20 ECU and the (for example) the Astina Shades ECU? if there is, should i just go aftermarket?
-should i really be hunting for sp20 parts or will the non sport parts work also?

i may have just started my quest on knowing about car parts and conversions but dont be afraid to get too technical as i want to learn as much as possible.
lastly, i know its cheaper to just sell my Sp20 and buy a manual but i have an unknown attachment to mine and ive saved up alot for this car and i intend to keep it for a while

thanks guys

Last edited by Sp20Bj220; 20-03-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Wrong Title
Sp20Bj220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 20-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Confused are you wanting to go from auto to manual or auto to manual as thread title suggests?

Your last few lines suggest you have an auto already....

You will need auto engine loom, auto box, torque converter plate, gear shifter mechanism, internal panel related stuff plus a heap of stuff im prolly missing.

EDIT: New CVs and new engine mounts likely as well.
Old 20-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Sp20Bj220

sorry, i didnt notice. i have an auto and are converting to manual

sorry for the misunderstanding.

hmm, ill have to take a trip down to a few wreckers next weekend with the list
Old 20-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice88 View Post
Confused are you wanting to go from auto to manual or auto to manual as thread title suggests?
Umm, do you read your posts before hitting reply Kris?

Thread title changed btw
Old 20-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
If going from auto to manual. Will need manual engine loom, ecu, flywheel, clutch, CVs (?), engine mounts ummm not sure what else.

Theres mechanics around here who actually would know everything needed.

@Marc, depends on the post and what im posting from tbh.
Old 20-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
maztech

Car: ......
Don't need to change ECU just need to know the mods needed to buy pass the inhibitor switch and reverse lights - engine will still run the same the only thing is the idle may dip at times when in gear or neutral but that no big deal.

On the other hand I would not be doing this conversion on a SP20 if you want a manual sell it and buy one --- the only way I would even consider this's is if the auto had stuffed itself as cars that are not running are worth little .

Will need to change a lot of things to make this conversion possible - clutch lines / shifter - pedal assy -- driveshafts -- flywheel --- centre console trims etc etc

You also need to consider if you change the ECU the keys ( may / will ) need to be recoded which just adds to the bill
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
TheMAN

Car: .
one person here locally had done a auto to manual swap... it was a royal PITA.... the auto shifter cable runs under the heater core and behind it... no way to properly remove it without pulling the dashboard out and the heater core out... he ended up just cutting the cable and leaving the rest in there

many wires had to be rewired (but then again, USDM ECU is very different from AUDM)... he installed a manual ECU and haltech.... his speedometer stopped working, but I think he didn't wire it correctly

the brake pedal needs to be swapped but he didn't do it... so he has an oversized brake pedal close to the clutch pedal now

I forgot what else wasn't done right with that car.... it's just all hacked together and worthless now... he did add a turbo to it though, so it's reasonably quick!

in any case, I seriously don't recommend an auto to manual swap.... there's too much involved... older cars are easier (but still no walk in the park) because of less electrics to deal with
Old 21-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
I have done this on a 1991 eb fairmont which was 4 speed computer controlled auto, if you love your car and are serious about the swap then you need to source a manual vehicle front cut at least so that every thing needed is there and swap the entire front harness, ecu and all transmission components, the dash is easy to remove on the bj's which will make it easier to do the wiring and pedals swap.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Sp20Bj220

Thanks for all the advice guys and i believe i have a rough idea on what needs to be done, i am going to go through with it and try find all the parts from various wreckers or other places and get a couple of mechanic buddies to help me go through with the removing and replacing of the parts. As for the electronics i think i may have to get that done professionally :/

As a last resort, i have the option to get the whole job done professionally

Last edited by Sp20Bj220; 21-03-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 22-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
familiagtx

Car: Mazda BJ SP20 Turbocharged
It if it was manual to auto, yes you would have to change ecu and wiring, as the auto box needs to be electronically controlled.

Just as Maztech said,
just make the inhibitor switch think its in neutral all the time and the manual box has simple reverse switch that can be wired in.

All the extra plugs after the swap, i would hide neatly out of the way and wrap them up.

If the auto shifter cables are in absolute pain to remove, take a hacksaw to it like theman suggests.

familiagtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
I'd find a damaged car and swap it all over. Plus you'll be able to sell the rest of the parts from the donor car to make back some $$

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
Sp20Bj220

thanks so much for the help guys,
Rupewrecht thats actually a really awesome idea, ill look into it!

Tags
manual, manual conversion, modifications