Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 19-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
KL-ZE Swap into V6 BA

So i've been doing a bit of research and decided before selling my old car and buying my new one that this is what i wanted to do. I've found my new motor and put a deposit on it and with the way things are going i may have the motor in and going by mid to late october. It's a straight neck KL-ZE from a JDM MX-6, however im trying to dig up what else i actually need to make it happen so i have a few questions and im hoping i can get some clear answers.

- I've heard of people using the KF33 ECU along with the KF Airflow meter. If i do this will i experience a loss in power until i switch it for the KL equivalent? Will the ECU & Airflow meter from an ADM MX-6 Suffice if i cannot obtain a JDM ECU?

- Will the standard KL headers from the ADM MX-6 suit or will i have to pay an exhaust shop to modify my KF headers or have some made up to suit?

- The motor i'm buying has 27 xxx kms on it and is in very good condition, along with it i plan to replace timing, all spark components bar dissy, belts, filters and all other service items. Whilst the conversion is being done the clutch will also be replaced with a heavy duty clutch from npc and all gaskets on the top of the motor will be replaced. is there anything else i should add to the list?

- I've been told a few different versions about what needs to be modified when doing the swap, will i need to modify any looms? is there any unused or extra looms i have to add in or ignore? Will my existing Vac and AC lines work with the new motor or does that have to be modified?

- I've been told i have to make a custom EGR fitting to make the new motor work with the existing pipes. Is there any substance to this?

If theres anything else i should know that isn't obvious about the swap please feel free to mention it as i'd like it to be relatively problem free.
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 19-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Exhaust you use the Mx-6 unit over the KF - the KF has twin cats each side of the bank the KL depending on model will either have 1 or 3 . One each bank and one rear or just one rear. Most use use the extractors and use a rear one . Again depends on the ECU and type.

Some KL-Ze's were 3 02 sensors or only 1.

You can use a ADM Ecu -harness and AFM. Can't remember what the mx6 and 626 guys did most. Eventually went all out with aftermarket but others didn't.

Check all the Solenoid for vacuum operate just check continuity. All Ge type seem to fail more often then the earlier and latter post 97. It's mainly to do with position and body shape- lack of air flow etc. Check the all the Sensors. It's IMO - terrible motor to work on inside the engine bay. I also some how don't believe those KM's Sorry but if it's out of a JDM MX-6 ? very questionable.

The hard thing to get right is the intake pipe - meeting with the airbox. I know with the KL-DE the stock hose fits. But with the ZE you will need the original JDM or create your own.

ZE should have no EGR - depending on the exhaust you use. Would of thought they would have left the just cut it off at the flex originally. You should be able to just refit all the standard stuff on top. But you can't use your factory STRUT BRACE.

I remember someone saying it won't fit and one person used a Melina intake - another used a DE 626 and I think one even used the USDM late 97 onward intake.
This is only for the BA.

Don't fit a over the top clutch you will break the box. It's still a pecky motor so it's a little less harsh then a turbo BP or FS turbo'd

I think it's been done with a stock KF-engine loom and KF-ZE engine ECU but all the VRIS opening and closing points are all different.

Personally I'd use just a aftermarket ECU with enough control or input and outputs to run the Vris use the two stock Knock sensors etc. But if you can source the complete original ECU and loom or at lease ECU. It's hard to go past these K- series ECU's it's where a lot of the extra cost went into them.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
Well im hoping i will get the exhaust manifold and ecu with the motor because that would make things less expensive and quite alot easier... that being said if i don't i'd like to think it okay to use the gear from ADM KL's (i know they'll just be KL-DE gear) and replace it with a haltech later on.

as for the clutch, im not going over the top, just the HD clutch you see most of the other members fit to thier na cars (not going with brass puck or twin plate or any of that bs, just organic heavy duty).

The intake i was planning on making myself so i can relocate the battery to where the airbox used to be as it will be a straight neck motor.
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Malibu Q

Car: mx-5
[QUOTE=Alemenara;328375]- I've been told i have to make a custom EGR fitting to make the new motor work with the existing pipes. Is there any substance to this?

QUOTE]

I did this to make the original 2.0 ecu to work. I dont think you would need to do it with a custom ecu. I would recommend not running the 2.0 manifolds with the cat in them

See this post:

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20733
Malibu Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemenara View Post
1- I've heard of people using the KF33 ECU along with the KF Airflow meter. If i do this will i experience a loss in power until i switch it for the KL equivalent? Will the ECU & Airflow meter from an ADM MX-6 Suffice if i cannot obtain a JDM ECU?

2- Will the standard KL headers from the ADM MX-6 suit or will i have to pay an exhaust shop to modify my KF headers or have some made up to suit?

3- The motor i'm buying has 27 xxx kms on it and is in very good condition, along with it i plan to replace timing, all spark components bar dissy, belts, filters and all other service items. Whilst the conversion is being done the clutch will also be replaced with a heavy duty clutch from npc and all gaskets on the top of the motor will be replaced. is there anything else i should add to the list?

4- I've been told a few different versions about what needs to be modified when doing the swap, will i need to modify any looms? is there any unused or extra looms i have to add in or ignore? Will my existing Vac and AC lines work with the new motor or does that have to be modified?

5- I've been told i have to make a custom EGR fitting to make the new motor work with the existing pipes. Is there any substance to this?.
1 if you are using standard ecu, standard maf should be used. If you run klde ecu run klde maf will suffice. I highly recommend usig klze ecu otherwise your engine swap will basically only run at like half of its potential gains.

2 Best option is to purchase som mx6 kl headers from eBay an take to muffler shop to make slight mods to fit.

3 Do everything. Timing belt kit, bearings, rear main, everything possibly replaceable.

4 all sensors are the same, will not need to modify anything loom wise !afaik!

5 When planning out my swap nothing bout an egr was mentioned. I bought jdm klze headers which had an egr on it so presuming the klze would require it.
Old 16-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
mattylagana

Car: Ba 323 Astina hatch V6
pretty sure the klze doesnt have the egr and needs to be plugged on headers, and as for loom you need to go with the klze's vaf rather then your kfde's maf.
>97' V6 MAZDA 323 S3|Sunroof|18"x8" RX8 rims|Custom Cold air intake|klze headers, 100cpi cat, resi delete, Apexi back box|Top Gun Leads/NGK Platinum Iridium plugs|Soundstream Sound|Lowered on yellow speeds|Whiteline heavy duty swaybar|cusco front strutty|momo steering|short shifter|Lantis door sills|
This is my girl sxc isn't she? http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18139
mattylagana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylagana View Post
pretty sure the klze doesnt have the egr and needs to be plugged on headers, and as for loom you need to go with the klze's vaf rather then your kfde's maf.
If that is correct, then you will have to have a conversion in place to run an egr or risk an epa fine and will not pass rego or engineers.

Thankyou for the correction, to run the vaf you will have to swap out the wires from the maf wires and correct them I do believe.

Also to add, you either will have to relocate your battery to fit klze manifold, or run kfde manifold.

Personally, I think a klde swap would be much more cost effective and gains could be grabbed from an easy turbo setup later down the track.
Old 16-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
If the engine does not have EGR - you don't have to run it. because you have to PROVE it's legal in NSW if your in NSW.

There is an exemption clause - it's typical NSW BS- you can have it but that department does not like it but the RTA/RMS says it has a are for it. Put simple everything it had in the JDM MX-6 for emission must work IN the new car. Think about how all the low volume get in rego'd ?

As this person is in QLD one mod plate No issue.

In NSW you just swap engine block numbers on a blue slip and make sure all wiring is correct and Cats are in place even a base EPA test will say it's okay. you avoid that by keeping a stock rear muffler and running 2.5inch pipe to it.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Drakh

Car: Black Lantis BA 2.5L KLZE
Hi mate- I've done a kl-ze swap into the BA, with some success, and I'm doing it again right now into my new BA, so I can probably guide you a little bit- i'll try impart some knowledge, but I might just re-say alot of whats already been said

the ecu thing- you want to do something. I didn't on my last one and you definatly miss out on some power- also it may not be good for the engine, but that is hear-say.If u use the standard klze ecu (KL01?) you have to install the vaf air sensor- and fiddle with wires n stuff, not quite sure. For myself- im going with the megasquirt ecu- cheapest aftermarket you'll find, but I dunno how legal that would be for you in Oz

I don't know anything about the mx6 headers, but there are some cheap headers you can get from the usa (250 inc shipping) nice upgrade and I've had them for 2 years, no troubles yet- except maybe it doesn't align together perfect so a bit tight to fit, but close enough. Has fitting for an egr valve too, which I welded closed because my klze had no egr valve- and while I'm on the mater, none of the 3 I have owned had an egr valve, but they were 93-95 yr engines.

You know to replace all the belts and filters cause it easy when the engine is out, so engine wise it looks like you got it covered.
Have you thought about doing any of the bushes on the car? maybe as a future project?, because the bushes on the front sway bar are only accessible while the engine is out- so best time to do those ones

On the subject of AC, disconnect the ac unit from the oldengine before you remove it- and don't whatever you do disconnect any ac lines- the gas is poison and they don't refill them anymore- so once the gas is gone, its bye bye ac forever. Its simple though you just remove the ac/ alternator belt, and 4x 14mm bolts and its off, just leave it hanging there
This logic can also be applied to the power steering pump, as the other option is fluid everywhere and a really had to get at bolt behind the engine- which if you do end up having to remove, leave it till you have the engine lifted out slightly to give yourself more room back there.

The engine loom should just plug in to all your existing plugs, you just have to do slight mods to a couple individual plugs which either don't reach or go past where you want them to be.

I had a straight neck kl before (curved now for convenience) and I could just fit a battery in the existing tray, I just modded the battery clamp a little. wasn't a small battery, not the biggest either

I suggest you take the gearbox out with the engine, dont take just the engine out and try squeeze the kl in with gearbox already fixed in the car. Its possible but its such a tight space pain in the arse in there its worth disconnecting the driveshafts and etc involved

Drive shaft- small tip this one, the middle half shaft that sits behind and is mounted to the engine, has 2 bolts attaching it to the kf, but only one of those will line up to the kl, but if you look on the mounting bracket you will see a raised circle- if you drill that out with an 8mm i think, you have your second bolt as that hole lines up with another thread on the kl- this maybe kinda hard to understand right now, but when you have it infront of you it and can see it, it will make sense

You need a breaker bar with atleast 17mm, seriously just makes life so much easier

I think I might be finished- haven't typed that much in at least a year

edit-oh, and the standard strut bar still fit for me- but it was damn tight

Last edited by Drakh; 30-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Drakh is offline   Reply With Quote