Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 28-07-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
Silencer

Send a message via MSN to Silencer
Mazda FE3: some usefull info

The FE3 motor part# FE3N was in the following cars: 87-92 626 Capella FWD &AWD, 626 Capella Coupe (MX-6), 626 Capella Wagon FWD & AWD,and a very limited edition 626 Capella AWD Turbo, and the Ford Telstar. They never used this engine in the Probes.

The engine design is based on the F series block, but a very similiar design of the B series engines, like the Mazda 323 GTX/GTR motor, the 90-94 Mazda Protege LX dual cam motor.

The FE3 motor is a 2.0 liter 1998cc 121.9cu.in DOHC 16-valve engine. The engine came mostly normally aspirated, but turbocharge briefly for a Rally team. The FE3 came with a lofty 170hp@6000 rpm and 160ft/lbs of torque @4500rpm, and turbocharge came with a beefy 260hp and 283ft/lbs of torque with 13.5 psi stock. The normally aspirated engine came with 9.5:1 compression, and the limited turbocharge one came 8.8:1. Both engines had the same bore and stroke. The bore is the same as the F2/F2T motor, which is 86mm, 3.39cu in. The stroke is also 86mm, 3.39cu in, as the F2/F2T is 94mm, 3.70cu in.

The F2/F2T and the FE3 block designs are the same, and both are F series blocks. The only difference in block are the deck height, and oil return hole from the cylinder head.

One of the main difference is that the FE3 engine comes with oil squirters that is drilled into the main oil gallery that points to the bottom of each piston, and sprays oil on the pistons to keep them cool. Also the main bearing section is a little different as well. The FE3 engine comes with an all cast aluminum oil pan, and the windage tray is bolted in the oil pan, and the main bearing caps are bolted also with a main bearing brace that keeps the bottom end from flexing.

Both turbo and non turbo FE3 motors come with this setup, the only difference is the compression. Some of the Rally guys I spoke with, they used the non turbo FE3 with turbos on them, and worked fine.

The crankshaft is forged, and the rods are too. The rods are shorter than the F2/F2T motor, but they are a little beefer than the F2/F2T rods. The pistons are hyper like the F2T motor, but the pistons are full-floating. Which means that the piston, the piston pin, and the rods are free. Meaning that the piston can glide on the piston pin, and the piston pin can glide on the rod, and the rod can glide on the piston pin. Which reduces friction on a high-revving engine like the FE3.

The factory redline on the FE3 is 7000 rpm, but the factory ECU was limited to 7400 rpm. But some people have rev them to 8800 rpm. The cam are very aggressive, with very high lift on both intake and exhaust valves. The exhaust cam has more duration, but both non turbo and turbo engines use the same cams. The cylinder head design is very B series engine like. But this is the only Mazda engine that come with 2 valve springs per valve. The springs are stiff, so you don't get valve float at high rpm's. The port design is 30% larger than the F2/F2T motor, and have a very downward valve angle port design. This is very good for turbocharging, Mazda did a very good job with valve angles with there engines, including the F2/F2T as well. The exhaust ports are 42% bigger than the F2/F2T motor.

I have worked on Toyotas for a while. The major one I have worked on is the 93-98 Toyota Supra twin turbo. The FE3 exhaust ports are the same size, and the same angle. All the ports angle toward the middle of the engine, thus towards the turbocharger if fitted. The Toyota Supra is angled the same way. The valves are the same exact, I mean exact size of the 90-95 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo.

The intake manifold is very unique. The intake manifold system comes with 2 plenums. The first one is the one you see outside the engine when you see it. The second one is for the VICS system. The VICS system is called Variable Interia Intake Control System. The system works very simple...As the engine is at idle up to 4400rpms, the VICS system has secondary plates in the intake runners. But when the engine is in this operating range of rpm's of idle up to 4400 rpm's, this extra air is held in the secondary plenum. So imagine if turbocharge? What ever pounds of boost you are running, that boost pressure is held in the secondary plenum chamber. The primary intake system works just like the F2/F2T engine. When the engine reaches 4500 rpms, the ECU opens the secondary plates, and release the held air or pressure to rush into the intake ports, and allow the engine to get air from two different ways, thus increasing the breathing on the engine.

These are the most asked questions...

Do the FE3 motor drops right into my ProbeGT or MX-6/626 GT?

Yes the motor drops right in.

Can I used the stock F2/F2T ECU to control the FE3 motor?

Well you can, but you have to modify the stock F2T distributor to fit. The FE3 distributor is longer, it actually extends further in the head than the F2 one. So you will have to extend the F2 distributor shaft to reach the FE3 exhaust cam. Both F2/FE3 cams are the same size on the distributor end.

Can I used the stock F2T transmission?

Yes you can! You can use the F2T transmission, flywheel, clutch, and motor mounts, and axles. Even the intermediate shaft of the transmission bolts right up to the FE3 block.

And yes you can use your stock motor mounts off your F2, and your alternator and bracket, powersteering and bracket, A/C and bracket on the FE3 motor.

Can I use the F2 sensors?

Yes you can, but you don't have to. The FE3 comes with the same sensors as the F2. The only difference is the distributor, and the VICS control solenoid, and the FE3 doesn't have a EGR valve.
Old 29-07-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
I was going to refer you to solomiata.com to look at his FE3 work fitting one
to a MX5 but the pages are down

Mal
Old 29-07-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

The guy must be changing his site.
Found the page dont know how long this link will work.

http://members.aol.com/solomiata/FE3.html
Old 29-07-2004, 05:37 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I'll need to take a look but for now I'll be sticking to the o'l FE and thinking about an F2 head if I can change to a dizzy off the front of the engine instead of from the rear.
Currently rebuilding the PC so cars are 2nd priority :x
Old 04-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #5
LiTtLe MiSs

Send a message via MSN to LiTtLe MiSs
at the moment its still just a thought and lots of research but im putting lots time and planning but i want to know more about the FE3T could anyone give me more info or webs sites that i may not have looked into coz i REALLY want to do this conversion? can i have peoples thoughts on it and info please
LiTtLe MiSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
LiTtLe MiSs

come on guys you must know something :x
Old 08-09-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

You can search through www.mx6.com
The 1st gen came with a mix of FE, F2 and FE3
Old 08-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #8
LiTtLe MiSs

thanks someone actually was some help thanks huni xoxoxox
Old 09-09-2004, 09:31 AM   #9
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

So the link to Solomiata was no help to you. It shows a build of a FE3 into
a FE3T and also has links to other guys that have done the same thing ???
Old 10-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #10
LiTtLe MiSs

yeah it was great i only had time to look at it last week. the links must of been done i could nt go any further than the home page. but its all good. looks like im going to have to go with the F2T coz the FE3 is harder to find in australia. but ITS ALL GOOD! :wink:
Old 10-09-2004, 09:11 AM   #11
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Didn't the FE3 come in the Kia Sportage 4WD
Old 10-09-2004, 12:35 PM   #12
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
yep, it's available from kia now

and i think (just as a point of interest) that the Kia shuma/mentor/etc came with a mazda-derived engine as well

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #13
LiTtLe MiSs

hhhhhmmmmmm thats food for thought
Old 10-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #14
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

And the Ford Festiva was a KIA with a mazda engine :|

Thanks for the heads up, I now need to find a Sportage and pop the hood to see if its easy enough to drop into the 929.
929 SOHC FE = 84kw and 180nm
Sportage DOHC FE3 = 94kw and 175nm
Not too sure if it would be worth the money :?
Old 10-09-2004, 08:14 PM   #15
Silencer

Send a message via MSN to Silencer
Just so anybody who's interested knows, the FE3 DOES NOT fit in a BA ASTINA, well not without lots of money and hard work, i wanted one but have found out its not gonna work, just gonna have to slap a turbo on the BP05 then
Old 10-09-2004, 08:19 PM   #16
LiTtLe MiSs

didnt someone say it should fit striaght into the BG i hope it does or i will have to cry
Old 10-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #17
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer
Just so anybody who's interested knows, the FE3 DOES NOT fit in a BA ASTINA, well not without lots of money and hard work, i wanted one but have found out its not gonna work, just gonna have to slap a turbo on the BP05 then
hey there,
could you please go into more detail as to what issues will arise with this conversion or lack there of?
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 08:41 AM   #18
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

I think you got confused with this

Do the FE3 motor drops right into my ProbeGT or MX-6/626 GT?
Yes the motor drops right in.

I would like to know why it doesn't fit. Is it too tall, engine mounts are way
different, matching a gearbox that fits in the astina to hard etc etc.

Ta

Mal
Old 11-09-2004, 10:34 AM   #19
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
yep im puzzled too. youde think itd work best in v6 BA astina shell...but we could be wrong!
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #20
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

After reading the info from solomiata I would think that the problems are bell housing and height.
Bell housing problem is easily fixed with a 626 trans but height, that's a tough one. I'd be budgeting for custom engine mounts and drive shafts if I was planning a BP to FE conversion.