Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 22-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
Gingerboywonder

1.5, BPT problems

hey guy, im interested in the BPT swap, i have heard of some the guys with the 1.8 323 doing it, but wll it swap into the 1.5 323.

I know I need the 1.8 engine mounts, and i have the G-series gearbox, ive uprated my brakes, adding coilovers in a few weeks. I know shaggy has done it and i know a few things but was just wondering........

is there any thing you guys can suggest that i will need?

Any help would be brilliant.

Cheers fellas
Old 22-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
im guessing you got the BG astina...

yeah it is possible... im also looking at doing this conversion myself...

are you after the GTX or GTR conversion?
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 01:28 AM   #3
Ian

Car: 1990 R32 GTR
GTX and GTR make no difference mount wise. If a GTX will fit so will a GTR.

Make sure the rest of the car can take it. Breaks, for example. Going from NA 1.5 to FI 1.8 QLD Transport might just whinge.

Mah Ride!
details
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Nah, it'll be a 1.5 BA if you know Shaggy

As we dont get the 1.5 in Aus, it's hard to know what else you'll need.

But as you've got a G series box, apart from engine mounts you shouldn't need anything else mechanical.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #5
Gingerboywonder

so thats all good then, only the engine mounts it is. What about fuel pump?? maybe take the 1.8 fuel pump if its bigger?

I will be buying the GTX preferably, i think its more moddable apparently but im not too sure, to be honest.

yeah my brakes should be fine im hoping, i have drilled and groved black diamond discs, pads and shoes. when i drop the GTX lump in, if i find the braking isnt enough ill proberly try and take the brakes and hubs off the 1.8 BA(They're bigger arnt they?) or im tempted to see if the mx-3 ones might fit with a bit of help

what about suspension? next wednesday i will be ordering the D2 coilover kit and the antiroll bar, rear strut brace for my car just incase.

any other suggestions guys?

thanks by the way
right peace out
Old 25-02-2006, 12:05 AM   #6
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
You'll need a bigger fuel pump

your suspension plans sound fine

and as for brakes, i'm not sure what the 1.5 has vs the 1.8, but the 1.8 are the same as the GTX brakes.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #7
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
1.5/1.6 brakes are alittle smaller, mx-3 and 1.8 brake same i think - change the brakes and hubs to 1.8 may mean you have to change the cv's also, but would look and feel better and safer.

Ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
geetee

Car: A Mazda 323F BJ Sport.
Send a message via MSN to geetee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht
You'll need a bigger fuel pump

your suspension plans sound fine

and as for brakes, i'm not sure what the 1.5 has vs the 1.8, but the 1.8 are the same as the GTX brakes.
in the UK the 1.8 has drums on the rear.
i believe the 1.8 in Austrailia has discs....
what about the V6 rears ginge?
don`t think its worth it really, as long as the rears are working well you shouldn`t have a problem.
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 02:04 AM   #9
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
another pom ... what part of the UK you from mate?

you should have any dramas with that brake set up. make sure you run a good fuild to prevent fade.

i have no idea how they 1.5 differs from the 1.8 but if you can mount the engine to the gearbox and mount the setup to the car the rest is just new hoses and lines if the standard ones cant be massaged to fit.

The bpt runs completely indpendantly of wiring already in your car so it should drop in to get it running, you make need to wire in the tacho depending how that is controlled, one of the BA boys may be able to help?

as for brake upgrades the v6 fronts > 276mm ... was looking at doing this swap but then i will have to sell the famous telephone dial wheels as they will no longer fit :S

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Shaggy

Car: 323f BA BPT TURBO
Send a message via MSN to Shaggy
Ginger is from the south east, great yarmouth area

u dont want the V6 hubs as they are 5 stud, unless ur planning on buying two 4 stud and two 5 stud alloys :S

I think also the front cross member on the 1,5 is different, you might need to change this to a 1.8 to line the front mount up correct.

i presume you have a BA G series box? do you have the top mount to go with it and the slave cly?

Also you will need the drive shafts from a G series 1.8 as I dont know if your 1.5's will fit the G series, I predict they are smaller than the 1.8 shafts?? :S id also look at the hubs as the 1.8 shafts might not match the 1.5

It might be that you need to change the hubs to the 1.8 ones, ive been told the GTX hubs are the same as the 1.8, or will fit, can anyone confirm this for me??

Yes you can get away with the V6 or 1.8 fuel pump, im currently running the 1.8 BA pump but if ur looking to up the boost in the future you defo need a bigger pump, is it the RX7 2nd gen pump that you can use?anyone?

Ben

---------------------------------------------
*******TheMysteryMachine*******
---------------------------------------------
http://www.club323f.com
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #11
Gingerboywonder

hmmmmm... ill have to look into most of that stuff then, driveshafts, front cross member and fuel pump, is there any aftermarket suppliers of fuel pump if i need to replace mine i might as well buy an after market one?

ah guys can you give me the size of the intercooler please? i just wanna price it up, oh and a decent clutch?

well i used to live in the south east of england, but im living in ireland at the moment.

cheers fella's