Old 21-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #181
BGSP
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BG SP Astina
Are you going for 400HP at the wheels?
Old 22-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #182
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
yep! I,m chasing this as it's a heavy, solid car.

Can't expect much more with the high-flowed T03 anyway. It max's out @ 450 apparently. I won't go larger on the turbo as I want nice low down acceleration & quick spool. Not after top-end @ all. Can't go higher anyway for reliability purposes as the running gear won't handle it. I think to get it to 400 horsies is pushing the boundaries, a little over street use anyway lol. Braking, handling. All that would be severely compromised even now. Even though the brakes are said to handle this power?

Tbh. This build's all about having the power so the weight of the car doesn't take from the driving pleasure. It's OK to have the looks & comfort sure. But all this time & bullcrap to end up with a heavy slow lump? Don't think so.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 22-06-2010 at 06:23 AM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 06:18 AM   #183
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
hey quick question, (and sorry if this question has been asked before) what about the gear box????? can it handle the 400hp????

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #184
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
hey quick question, (and sorry if this question has been asked before) what about the gear box????? can it handle the 400hp????
yeah Mat. If it's driven with respect & considering it's just been rebuilt. Guaranteed to handle about 380 @ the flywheel as these are what the larger V8's put out. Some of the V8 boxes were bit bigger & stronger parts though.

Also. Another reason for ditching the wheels up ahead. The tyres are too ballooned on the rims. 225's on 8 inch rims....Should be minimum 235/245. This is a concern for me. This was done cause the previous owner had it so low. I'm raising it a tad as it has to pass engineers cert etc

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 22-06-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 22-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #185
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
cool .... hmmm think it will if in my enginebay????

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 22-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #186
NaughtyGT

Quote:
cool .... hmmm think it will if in my enginebay????
maybe Mat but you'll prolly need to line your front guards & rails with lead haha.....

Old 22-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #187
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
maybe Mat but you'll prolly need to line your front guards & rails with lead haha.....
lol hmmm new chasie it is then hee hee its been done before lol.. there is a 20b sp20 in the usa lol... but it has 15inch wide tires and about 1000 hp.... ow yer did i say it was a drag car lol

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 22-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #188
NaughtyGT

Quote:
lol hmmm new chasie it is then hee hee its been done before lol.. there is a 20b sp20 in the usa lol... but it has 15inch wide tires and about 1000 hp.... ow yer did i say it was a drag car lol
your not called Mad Mat for nothin' lol Hey feels good to actually talk to performance folk about the car. Spent an hr going over the finer details. They are more confident after actually seeing the beast. Awesome following it on a tray back & then seeing it in a workshop haha. Gonna be a big job. They are going to give it the sleeper look under the bonnet. Maybe relocate battery to boot & put the twin convertors where battery was behind firewall partition. Make it look neat. Better for authorities too. Prolly keep smaller IC until it is registered. Then cut **** outta stuff in engine bay to make a big-ass one fit? Also. Getting an airbox to cover air pod. Matt black for all the engine bay parts such as IC piping so again, keeps the authority wanks off the trail....secret goodies will be outta sight & outta mind hehe....

Depends on how it looks with fibreglass engine cover once finished? I have to drop this off so they can have a gander.

Looks like it'll need a better MSD ignition system. The old one is for a V8 & cannot see, therefore control the timing under boost. Specy will see how it goes & change it if necessary. Hey @ least it's in the right hands now.....poor car deserves it after all it's been through. Me too lolol!

First. Block needs to be tapped for oil return line. Then....in it goes with box Beautiful thing is they are just up the road so I can pop in whenever I need to. Now........anyone expert in Bank Jobs

Few new parts ordered:

New Behr Radiator & all hoses
Engine Mounts
Trans Mount
Tailshaft Coupling

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 23-06-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 23-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #189
NaughtyGT

I'm resolved to see how running gear handles the 400+ horsies. Iron out any bugs etc. Will never tramp it or anything stupid but plan is to drive it hard for few 1000k's (nice daily for awhile hehe..) & if something breaks (running gear from trans back), deal with it then. Means it was going to happen up ahead anyway! If it doesn't. It'll be reliable enough to do long trips

Once I have bit more cash & time passes. I may beef it up a bit more with stronger running gear. Larger IC. Larger jetting?

Thing is. The later (91-95) 300E's that used the DOHC 3.0L engine had larger diff crown wheels. So stronger obviously. Don't know about the tailshaft & assoc' bits though? The engines were more powerful in stock trim but the SOHC engines, as in mine, are more robust were boosting is concerned. Can handle more abuse. Stock unopened they can handle 650 horsies with just bolt-ons. Only concern being the original head gaskets. Btw. BMW have a stock engine that handles 1000hp! This is why I luv these Messerschmidt's haha.....

The model I have is quite basic as far as trinkets & add-ons are concerned. Built to last not tear down the quarter mile. (well.....mine perhaps ). Newer models were where it all went wrong imo. Superfluous. Expensive to repair/replace luxury items such as seat warmers, electric seat settings, self-leveling suspension, hydraulic engine mounts ($1,900 for instance) mine were like $270 a pair.....list goes on. 300E's like mine are just a commodore on steroids really. Heavier. Stronger. Much more reliable, but still simple I kinda respect this. No sensors (except 02 exhaust).

I'm fully aware of the benefits of EFI. The 323GT of mine was awesome in it's day & still is! DOHC, EFI, TURBO/IC bla bla.....THE ****! & I simply luv it to bits. Hence it's still in the garage waiting for me to put it back together

This MERCUS ERECTUS though is very different. A great big hard-on on wheels! haha.....The injection's tossed for LPG. Simple gas fed via a carby (basically) only, PROPERLY. If they get this right. Which they guarantee they will. How more reliable can a car be? This is why I'm persisting with this car. It could be great. It will be if done right.

So.....when it gets home I have to get rear screen replaced. Buy some speakers, amp & rewire the Sound System completely Replace springs all round. Tyres probably. Then register when I can!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 23-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 24-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #190
NaughtyGT

will be doing some cool touches to bonnet & boot here on Weekend. Bitta AMG old style lol....Black the chrome bonnet grill & boot emblem to make the exterior more 2-tone & eliminate chrome crap haha.....

Old 28-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #191
NaughtyGT

..........well @ least it's in it's corner of the workshop with front guard covers on it.......ready to go........be started this week...............yeah.......

Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #192
NaughtyGT

While car is in workshop having it's organ transplants I been looky looky @ some head & tail lights haha.....

only thing is I would prolly have to correct the beam direction of the headlights as they are configured for US (left hand drive)

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 05-07-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #193
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

i love them... they look hot

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #194
NaughtyGT

Quote:
i love them... they look hot
yeah I reckon they'd give it the sporty look with front grill & boot badge painted black I have however been told they aren't an easy mod to get the beams to legal RHD configeration I still reckon I could cut & chop them with a little patience but for now I'm just finding out how hard they would be

Old 14-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #195
NaughtyGT

fmd.....progress!!!!! :d

it's happening.....sumps removed from engine & return oil line bung being tapped in block. Engine looks really clean with no usual sludge from bad services Looks like a winner!

Workshop has opted to customise inlet manifold. This involves cutting runners & welding in a completely new log-rolled section that moves the throttle body from middle up to front of engine so intercooler piping is now shorter = less volume & quicker spooling = You wouldn't do this with NA set up but the extra pressure afforded by the turbo will work sweet as. All smooth mandrel intercooler bends. Just smick!

this is why I'm working extra days so I don't skimp on any area @ all. Slave to the car for a while I'm afraid

Old 14-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #196
BGSP
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BG SP Astina
Awesome man, this has made an interesting read, I wish it was my project
Old 14-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #197
NaughtyGT

I'm finally getting excited lol. Interesting how these guys are modding parts as they go What's uncanny is I have been wondering how the stock inlet would go with the LPG. Was going to suggest they do something so rang them today & they told me the turbo guy working on car was ripping into the manifold as we spoke Will certainly be a custom engine bay I guess haha & @ least now I have some juicy stuff to write up on

Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #198
NaughtyGT

Quick Update....

Not alot of movement @ workshop lately as they are snowed down with more jobs. Oh well. Time to put some $$ together for it. Engine is going in this week & they presume within 3 weeks to have both manifolds completed. The Inlet has had the runners chopped down so they now resemble 6 air-rams. These will feed into a huge aluminium casing, much like the Boxy Plenums on the J-Spec B6T's only much larger. Apparently this will guarantee the cylinders won't lean out again as with stock set up the previous time.

Other change is the decision to go bigger with the turbo. Bit of an expected change really due to weight of car.

Not much else though so hopefully I'll be looking @ some real work when I have a looksie in 3 weeks time

Old 03-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #199
RustyKaos

Car: 1998 BA 323 Astina Hardtop
YAY can't wait to see this project finished.

Come challenge me. I dare ya.
RustyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #200
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyKaos View Post
YAY can't wait to see this project finished.
You & me both Rusty. I don't wanna rush them & risk something going wrong after all this. At least they are thinking it out as they go. I have a suspicion the main turbo guy is using ideas off his XR6 turbo. He used a similar Boxy Plenum style Inlet same as he is doing to mine. He showed me this when I first met these guys. I remember commenting when I saw the work under the bonnet. "Looks pretty stock" (for an XR6 that is haha)......he just turned & gave me a sinister grin hehe I thought to myself 'stock my arse

Anyway. I just want it right