Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 31-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #161
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
F-i-n-a-l-l-y.........the slauwsersausage goes over to a new performance workshop for engine & box install & then the LPG fit out & custom fabricating etc

Engine will be delivered to them directly from Sydney on Weds. Car goes over probably Tues week. Then. They start! Someone is actually going to start work on the burgermyster soon

Couldn't be stuffed fitting engine myself after all the bull****e. Rather just work more & get someone else to do it. Fact is I could've only fitted engine. From there. The custom exhaust mani has to be built. The inlet mani modified. LPG fully refitted out. New exhaust fitted. what's the point? Save money yes but have to take time off work & what a headache hiring gear again etc. Rather muck around with the 323 myself & leave the Liverwurst sandwich to the experts

Oh yeah. New workshop is only 12 mins away from me so I can liase with them quickly & easily. The orig' workshop was like 40 mins away & they didn't want job. They only interested in Monaro's, Ford hardtops & drag racing. Splitters!

Here's some pics of the single turbo set up on a similar car with stock 300TD (turbo diesel) ext' manifold fitted:

This is more like the one I'm getting made up :

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 31-05-2010 at 05:42 PM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #162
BGSP
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BG SP Astina
Nniiccee
Old 09-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #163
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
hey hows everything goin man???

heee heee so when u crusin up to brisbane

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #164
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
hey hows everything goin man???

heee heee so when u crusin up to brisbane
Hey Mat Workshop isn't ready for it yet. Another few weeks it looks like before I can take it over but when they start it, it will be all go No stuffin round they guarentee. They just have to finish anoher turbo fab job then.....yeehar

They need the car before they can do squat. They won't fabricate the exhaust manifold for turbo without the car for measurements. Then I guess they'll be looking @ the inlet manifold. Modifying it to allow better flow for LPG (big issue). Then they can get down to the serious hooking up of all the gear. Be @ workshop for a bit of time I think

I really should be putting engine/trans in myself but sparing the time/energy to do it. Rather work extra hrs & pay to get done bugger it. I got enough to do with the 323 when I get my turbo gear back from Sydney. Let the experts have the Messerschmidt hehe unless they can lend me a hoist & ute lol (like that'll happen)......cruisin to Brissie may be a chalenge for a long while due to work commitments (aka....money honey )

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #165
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
well looks like ur all set man..

well i think us qld members will have to cruise down there soon... that will be a good 5 day weekend

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 09-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #166
NaughtyGT

that'd be awesome

Old 16-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #167
NaughtyGT

I'm really getting annoyed with the waiting game workshop is expecting me to play. At least once they start it should be all go.

I'm ordering some parts through MB Spares today here in Aussieland hehe....so workshop aren't held up when car gets there. A new trans mount & tailshaft coupling for now so engine can go in. Hoses & lines will have to wait til' engine is in & I can do up a more diligent list. The custom exhaust manifold can't get started until engine is in bay & they can position turbo & measure everything up for fabrication. This manifold whilst expensive, it will allow exhaust gases to flow to turbine more efficiently & prevent turbulence resulting in more efficient (& quicker) spool time. I've toyed yesterday with possibility of using the manifold seller had on car or there is a stock turbo diesel manifold that can be used but it is such an important performance enhancement for such a heavy car I think I'll regret it if I don't get a proper customised manifold built. I'd rather schimp on something less important if I have to for now.

At this stage. Car should be heading over to workshop next week. Just waiting on workshop boys finishing another turbo build prior to commencing mine.

Old 16-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #168
BGSP
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BG SP Astina
Epic, looks like the beast will soon awaken
Old 16-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #169
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSP View Post
Epic, looks like the beast will soon awaken
lol it will be like francinstine.........

ITS ALIVE MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 16-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #170
NaughtyGT

Quote:
lol it will be like francinstine.........

ITS ALIVE MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
haha.....pain in the arse for now though Big red rooter

Old 20-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #171
NaughtyGT

step back stage 2:::::::guys something awesome is brewing in the background.......a Perth member on a groovy US Merc forum that I been talking back & forward with has offered to help me rid the car of the original mechanical injection set up & switch it to EFI so I can run vapour injection This would mean horny-ass LPG direct injection set up, similar to liquid injection, only, you use original LPG tank & save changing to LPI tank & associated gear. Eliminating all the performance/reliability problems associated with old mixer set up You'd use Megasquirt probably to run the injection. EFI gear would be off an RB engine (skyline r32, 33, 34, gtr's and gts-t ect) apparently they have the same bore spacing & all you have to do is drill out inlet manifold injector holes so rb ones fit.......

He's letting me know the drill when I get home from work this arvo & I'll post the nitty gritty I find out then......will also be talking with workshop face-to-face in morning!

This could just be the set up I've been hoping for & allow me to move on from all the drama of this project getting off the ground! Would prolly mean a different workshop for the vapour set up. This would also eliminate having to custom make an inlet manifold to ensure mixer flows gas to all cylinders evenly.

Here's a peek @ similar mods from a different forum I'm also with: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201...-interest.html

Here's another similar set up with basic parts that are supplied: http://www.megagas.com.au/main_pages/Sequential.html

P.S. this project may be heading towards awesomeness status (going broke staus too).....or.....pita status .....but at least not failure status as it was sorta heading means I'll rolly bring engine home. Fit it. Track down RB gear & start all over.......

My only other alternative is look @ swapping car back to petrol which although saving money (always good), ends the excitement part of the project. The other obvious thing to consider is the fact car is already converted to gas & it is an economical option in the long run. Just that the vapour injection is expensive to set up........hmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 21-06-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 20-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #172
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

thats the same basic set put i'm building 4 my lada intake system....... except i'm using a ford manifold and a 70 mm throttle body, with a haltech fuel only computer and a nice set of 440cc injectors

this is goin to get scary man. but i can't wait to see her finished . making this ype of gear is so much fun.

i really wish i live'd in vic now to to see this 4 real sad panda

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 20-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #173
NaughtyGT

Quote:
thats the same basic set put i'm building 4 my lada intake system....... except i'm using a ford manifold and a 70 mm throttle body, with a haltech fuel only computer and a nice set of 440cc injectors

this is goin to get scary man. but i can't wait to see her finished . making this ype of gear is so much fun.

i really wish i live'd in vic now to to see this 4 real sad panda
Mat. I need to decide tomorrow after talking to workshop whether I put it back to petrol or stay with the LPG? Which ever way. I'm going EFI.....haha

What stage are you on to with the 20? I'll have to dive into your project thread

Old 20-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #174
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
Mat. I need to decide tomorrow after talking to workshop whether I put it back to petrol or stay with the LPG? Which ever way. I'm going EFI.....haha

What stage are you on to with the 20? I'll have to dive into your project thread
cool

i put eye lids on her thats about the best of it.... and some other goodies to :P

i'm lackin funds atm lol.

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 20-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #175
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
LPG DUDE! just becuase its different and awesomely cool, even if its lotsa $$$... and becuase the time youve spent in researching it all would be worth nothing in the end
Old 20-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #176
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
LPG DUDE! just becuase its different and awesomely cool, even if its lotsa $$$... and becuase the time youve spent in researching it all would be worth nothing in the end
tell me about it lol. Will have serious talk with workshop tomorrow. Really can't make a move forward til' this happens. I kinda think I'll be doing alot of basic install stuff myself & then start to locate Nissan r30 gear or similar then, the fun starts. If I have to I'm going to take a half day off each week just to source stuff. Will be sure to post up how it all goes tomorrow. Freikin feels like I'm going to a job interview. Real weird & @ the 11th hr & 59 mins it seems. Car was going to go over tomorrow

Old 20-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #177
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
LOL, this thread is hilarious, sorry Tim but you need to stick to something till the end!!

lets see this thing on the road already!!
Old 21-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #178
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
LOL, this thread is hilarious, sorry Tim but you need to stick to something till the end!!

lets see this thing on the road already!!
aint that easy Marc. This has never been successfully done before over here. I have nothing as a prototype. Just negative past stories cropping up @ times. If it takes a hundred changes along the way. But I get it right. Then it'll have all been worth it.

If I hurry it up because some workshop says "she'll be right mate"....we've done V8 turbos on LPG mixer....bla...bla...bla.... & it all goes bell up. I look the fool & have a roo-ted car again. V8's are easy using a carb/mixer as the inlet manifold sits atop between the heads & LPG merely has to fall (be sucked) evenly straight into head chambers. The 6 in the Merc has inlet manifold aside & under the head & all runners are different lengths. The only way I see of successfully using a mixer set up is if I get a completely customised inlet made up. But that is obviously a long shot!

Good things take time.....& money Besides. Alot can be learned from this build & perhaps others will appreciate this? The Merc forum members are, on one side, biting @ the bit for me to get this right. On the other side. So much confusion & conflicting reports on unsuccessful builds using mixer that it's forced me to rethink the entire set up. I wish it was easier like a Mazda DOHC turbo build BUT it's not......

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 21-06-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #179
NaughtyGT

NOW! this is where it gets interesting. Some facts to lay down about LPG & what's the latest & not-so greatest things going around!

I've researched the pants off this so here we go......

Vapour Injection: Hmmmm. Sounds good. Wouldn't touch it for now. In a few years maybe they will get it right but for now. Nope! Not just the rediculous cost. Anywhere up to $8k to use the best gear including top shelf Stand Alone & the rest. The kits being turned out are simply crap! From the horses mouth that's all I'll elaborate for now so as not to offend any member that may wish to go this route. I aint' pullin' no punches that's all!!!

Liquid Injection: Even greater expense far outways advantages! They don't tell you about the ECU associated fiddly bits necessary to set up etc etc......

Hense the most reliable & powerful LPG cars are still via a GR Mixer. However. The later GR components are not as good as he earlier stuff so be weary of the new GR gear for now & seemingly the future unfortunately

Spoke @ length with turbo specy this morning. The GR set up on the Merc incorporates the older style, more robust GR Mixer that made it such an awesome product for high performance race cars. Still above anything today. The problem was it was fitted & modified all wrong! Here's why.

No jet in the main venturi body that feeds into the barrel Access line that feeds into IC pipe that exits the mixer connected wrong. Cog that works in sequence with the TB mechanism/cable not working. THIS IS WHY IT STARVED ENGINE OF GAS!!!!

So suffice to say car is being picked up tomorrow morning to go to workshop. Old Mixer is being sent off to have venturi enlarged & body/mechanisms to be reconditioned. New twin converters being ordered. Inlet manifold does NOT need modifying after all. Custom exhaust manifold to be started ASAP. Bob's your uncle. Going for minimum 400HP. I would say this is max for the turbo & stock head gasket/compression

I a happy chappy now

Old 21-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #180
NaughtyGT

The LPG set up allows me to run higher boost than you could with petrol on stock compression too haha......due to the higher octane. That's one plus for all this....

I'm thinking a high/low switch. Say 6psi low & 12psi high? I now a member who is running the turbotechnics twin set up on same stock engine but on petrol & he's just up'd his to 10psi without a drama.

Just ordered new engine mounts, radiator, hoses & cap from Canberra store where I got gearbox mount & tailshaft coupling last week. Should arrive within next few days so workshop can go ahead with install then. Flamin adds up quick

At this stage I'm just hoping I won't need a stand alone. The MSD ignition & timing computer should suffice.

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 22-06-2010 at 06:12 AM.