Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 14-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
barreljan

Car: 323F (BA) 2.5V6 Turbo!
323F BA - Barreljans track turbo'd V6

Hi there, thought I should introduce myself here complete with all the info.

About me, from the Netherlands, age is in the profile. Love trackdays and very happy with Mazda of course Being tinkering with them for 11 or so years. Maybe you have seen the car already on the facebook pages or the club323f.com forum.

Quick history of my cars, had 1.5 323F BA, sadly I shortend it on one side.
Two weeks later a new 1.5, also 11R sparkling green. Modified and installed lots of small items and even disc brakes on the rear.

Then in dec. 2007 I bought (could not resist) a mint 11R 323F BA with a V6 from the first owner. Properly maintained. Did some work on it, headers and stuff and got it to 163bhp instead of 147 (dyno proven)

In 2008 decided that I was done with the low power and bought a KLZE. Same setup, on the original KF ecu and it was pusing out 215bhp and 250nm of torque (dyno proven).

Lowered it at first with springs, later a complete coilover kit

Later, some minor alterations on the outside, badboy bonnet and MS front spoiler

Some sticky R888's to go with it

A few months later, more stopping power, 330mm 8pot

And of course some weight reduction, Fidanza flywheel and OBX underdrive pulley

Sometime later on, seat, safety stuff and more. This was in april 2012

After 2 years having them on the loft, putted the sideskirts on

Some more weight reduction efferts. Made my own lexan rear windows

In 2014 did work on the gearbox (no, it did not break, was having issues on tight corners). So I threw the MFactory LSD diff . Works superb!

Drove it for 5 and a half years straight on the tracks in the Dutch Time Attack series without any problems. The car itself evolved big time in all those years, with not even a single breakdown or issue, attended all rounds of every season 5 years long! Engine work working great, no oil usage of blue smoke. Replaced the oil and filter at least 4 times a year with Castrol Edge 5W30.

T3/T04E turbo | Turbosmart wastegate&blowoff | Stratified ECU | Millenia-S inj. | Mfactory LSD | Ksport 8pot 330mm | Ksport coilovers | Fidanza | And more..
barreljan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 14-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
barreljan

Winter 2013 when the Dutch Time Attack season was over, it was fairly clear that we lacked power on the straights and up-hill. Cornering speed, although the rear
suspension arms are in poor condition, was excellent. We still received positive reactions about our exit speed in corners. Partly the setup but mostly it was
because the torque deliverd from the nice V6.

I had been thinking this over and over again, what to do? And not only after the last round, nope. Why do you think I have installed a MFactory limited slip diff ?

Crunching the numbers, it would be getting to a turbo setup , keeping in mind that reliability should stay at #1 and it al should keep up and not brake. As far as I know
no one could help us much with this, we stated that we should start with an combination of quality parts and some cheap parts. The goal was to get it running, stay in
1 peace after a track session and still be working back at the shop. We have figurerd most things out ourselfs, doing a lot of research and development. Bought parts to
see if they fit, returning them because they are useless etc etc. Most time has gone in testing, fitting and testing again.

At the end of July (2013) I started on the Meqasquirt V2.0 board we still had from the last project and got to figure every wire out from the european KF 2.0 V6 based
wiring loom. As there is no manual of how to reverse engineer this to a MS ecu, it is a painstaking proces of following the wires and re-measure it with a voltmeter.

Saidly, I focused too much on the MX-6 and MX-3 wiring example for the MS board. Thus, when connected to the car and powering it on, resulted in a smoldering smell
and some sparkling sound....

After damage checks, I found out that the 12V+ ign source was hooked up to one of the ground pins of the MS board.
In the bin with it... Bye bye £300-ish

Moving on to August where we picked up speed with some of the main components. I found a complete fuelrail with pressure regulator and injectors of the Millenia-S
(2.3 V6 compressor). Some reseach told us they wouldn't keep up with the needs, as they are just around 285cc/m each. So lets try these and search on to bigger
injectors that would fit the *&#&)! KL fuelrail with not too much fuzz.

The injectors removed from the useless rail

A week later the, (cheap :roll: ) turbo arrived. What an idiotic size! Damn!

The mailman promptly deliverd the poorly fitting turbo manifold (headers, collector and the downpipe) the next day.

As we had learned from the earlier 4-cil BP turbo project, the eBay wastegate was the main problem of the death of the engine. So in with some quality compononents! Turbosmart it is 8)

We did not trow all the parts aways from the former turbo project, so we could arrange a lot of parts again together

To minimize the long route of the intercooler piping and eventually the lag, we redesigned the intercooler. Both the inlet and outlet are on one side with a block on
the inside between them.

The Setrab oilcooler was also 3 years (unused!) on the shelf, so now is the time

It is time to strip the front end and make room. As some may know, the front engine mount is on a big support underneath the engine, but that has to go otherwise
the collector and downpipe won't fit. My brother (Hellracer at the forum) was the father of the idea to replace the mount to the front of the car.

Hmmm, it does seem to fit nicely, maybe to easy.

Lets see how it works out for the exhaust and turbo manifold

The downpipe (or dump) won't fit properly, the flange is complete out of sync. Oh well, not something what an anglegrinder and a welder won't fix

Reapplying the original radiator mount. Why make it harder for yourself?

Testfitting the radiator, the top radiator bracket and panels, including the intercooler, oilcooler and lights

Again, it all seem to go to easy. Or did we think things through? :P

T3/T04E turbo | Turbosmart wastegate&blowoff | Stratified ECU | Millenia-S inj. | Mfactory LSD | Ksport 8pot 330mm | Ksport coilovers | Fidanza | And more..

Last edited by barreljan; 15-03-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 14-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
barreljan

As you already read in the above section, the Megasquirt board died on us, so I've already had a new unit ordererd. But this time a different one which is easier to use
with the wiring. A StratifiedAuto MSND76 PnP with an onboard MAP (boost) sensor and a inlet temperature sensor. I have choosen an electronic boostcontroller to go
with it and was delivered with it.

Oh look what dropped in

Back to the car itself. The fantastic fitting (NOT!) exhaust needed some work other than the turbo flange. There is a wastegate 'inlet' from the collector, but an exit
(dump) is not in the downpipe. Maybe they thaught: well, do a screamerpipe? Hell no, not with the regulations of Time Attack.

* Note; yes, the v-band flange is connected to a simple 2-bolt flange. Nice job to redo later...

A painstaking job is the heatwrap. Maybe you have done it yourself but it itches sooooo bad. But it sure helps to keep the heat in and to the turbo and it lookes nice
and tidy.

Work is done on the ECU, triple checked al the wires, measure and measure again before soldering and asked our dad to check independently if I had it right.
But no; 3 wires wrong. Thanks for checking! We were confident that this should do it, only 1 wire was stated on the MX-6 scheme that didn't matched any on
the KF2.0 wiring. You will read it later on.

After the research and soldering, it had to be done; hook it up and power on. If it fails, we had time left to arrange something else or maybe a new unit.

Whoohoo!!! The map reading was not correct but hey, it did its thing and not fry itself.

And now for something completely different! Yes, massive work on the chassis was needed to make some extra room for the turbo inlet and the intercoolerpiping.
As you can see, it drops 2cms and the radiator facing side is not under an angle but straight to accomodate the silicon hoses for the intercooler

Yup! Fits like a charm

The final result (some paint will be added later on)

The mailman delivered a new package, this time the braided oilfeed line for the turbo with the correct couplers.

Old 14-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
barreljan

Scavenging through a pile of leftovers we came up with this to connect the line to the block. I'll hear you think by now... Yes indeed: this is a no go.

The return adapter to place in the sump is the correct one, we had a aluminum one with the turbo but we opted for a steel one to weld in the sump.

For the oil feed we made some custom adapters to fit the banjo bolt.

Then we installed the Mocal takeoff plate with thermostat for the oilcooler. It fits nicely.

Finaly, we started again with the build up. Most of the fabricating and custom work was done, so it could come together.

I reckon we did this so many times, test fitting parts, removing them, altering some parts and test fit again. But that comes with a project like this. You need to do this on and on and on.

The oilcooler is connected as well as the oilreturn from the turbo.

Testfitting a new route for the coolant, seems to work out fine.

Testfitting the overflow hose to the coolant reservoir and sealing it to protect it from unnessecary heat that comes from the turbo

Picture from underneath.

The buildup for so far

For the coolant reservoir we needed a new place of course so we designed an assembly plate to go over the gearbox mount. On this we accompanied the reservoir with
the fuelfilter and the adjustable pressure regulator.

While we were at it, replaced the filter as well. It had been there for a while

Old 14-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
barreljan

Mounted the boostcontroller and hooked it up to the wastegate and compressor side of the turbo.

A picture of where we at

We testfitted and tested and tested, oh and tested, with a mockup bumper to see whats needed to adjust or change. At the end the original front bumper with the
Postert front spoiler (or lip whatever you call it) fits nicely. The brackets and all the supports are there including the bonnet catch.

The oil feed clamp in place nice and tidy

The coolant piping worked out to be like this and works as it should.

A view from the front

Last but not least, we had to rearrange the powersteering cooler again. You probably won't know it, but with 225 wide semi-slicks steering becomes heavy so the
powersteering will not be removed. My brother was being creative with 12mm copper piping and a bending iron. He came up with this:

The oil catch-can to meet the regulations of Time Attack. To prevent a "sump-dump" or to catch oil that is forced throug the sumpbreating piping.

And a new airfilter is recommended

We had a issue with the cooling fan. Now the turbo is taking in some space the original fan could not be used. Luckily we had an A/C fan lying around from another
project and that fits barely. It will do for now and we saw that it had a blade extra so it hauls more air past the radiator. I can tell you by now, it does it's job with
ease. On the dyno and track it held temperatures @ 88 degrees exact

Setting up the base fuelpressure. This was made after a lucky shot of dialing it in. Normaly it should be arround 3 to 3.5 bar.

The startup is not on video. The only video we have is that it wouldn't start. After some quick checks we noticed it had no spark. Researched told me that we missed
the wire as mentioned earlier as the cam-angle sensor. Strangly it should hook up with the same input as the crank-angle sensor. This made it spark and it turned around
before dying out.

The fuel map was waaaaay to rich Getting it to idle was a hard job. No one on the Internetz had the same settings. But after some good guessing I set up the spark
advance table first. Then it was time time dial down the fuel on the idle rpm's. At some point it was stable but I was intoxicated by heavy fuel-rich fumes so had to go
home, eventhough the workshop overhead door was open.

For some extra good guessing I made up an fuelmap based on the idle load and the manifold pressure at boost and tried to make a nice table. The day later tested it on
the street for a short period. It was going like hell! But we noticed on higher rpm's it will be so rich, sparks were put out so back to the shop and leave it like this for the
guys at the dyno to do the mapping.

Old 14-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #6
barreljan

The final result! My brother made a quick airduct in shape of the light unit to let air in to the filter.

A walk around the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxv-n79RHG0

Dyno time! Oh, before reading on, this was done on thursday the 20th of March... We still had to finish the full rollcage (removed the bolted 4point) and finish all the
details so we could drive the first round on the 23rd of march on Circuit Park Zandvoort.

They asked about the complete setup and were sceptic about the seemingly small injectors. But we said we had some big ass 850cc/m injectors in house that fit, but
there are too much. After discussing that these Millenia's aren't small they turned around. You do the math: 285cc x 6 cilinders is 1710cc/m of flow. Divide that by 4
(427cc/m ) and you''ll see that they are just fine for up to 0.7 bar boost or more

We had some issues with the fuel pressure regulator. It seemed that we had installed a rising rate unit. Not good. We disconnected the vacuumhose to it and reset the
pressure. Much better
After that we noticed the boost was going up and beyond 0.5 bar (7psi). It reached at a certain moment the 0.9 bar.... Oops Resetting the boostcontroller duty map
did not help. We disconncted it for now and go wastegate pressure only.

During the mapping the guys were pleased by the software and were excited with the base streetmap I had come up with. Spark advance was a degree of 4 maybe too
much they said, but it hasn't been altered since :badgrin: Although at first the pressure regulator was not correct and it overboosted a bit, they were supprised of
the engine power and we even had to change the front tires as they were eaten up by the dyno rollers.... Expensive hobby knowing the race tyres were still on it :roll: :doubt:

We received complements on the work that we had done. Everything looked sharp and tidy.

Final run after mapping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayyi2RQbtiI

It resulted in a whopping 290bph and 322nm of torque. The guys at the dyno said it will go up to 320bhp if needed. But were are running, against all advice, with a
stock engine so we will keep it for now on this safe setting.

And before we would go to the track a safety upgrade!

During scruteneering at Time Attack I could not help myself and get on the large scale. With approx. 80% fuel in the tank it stated that the car in race condition
weighs just 1135 kg 8) Nice one!

And once again, complements of the guys at the scruteneering that it all looked very good and tidy.
They stated that it should have been some work. No **** sherlock :lol:

This is how it lookes like on the warmup at the track. You should go to around the 8.00 marker to see me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTHhMazM0Ps

Do note, the darkbrown/black Subaru chasing me has much more power, but weighs a lot more.

More high quality pictures of the media team (Toast Media) that joined us that day
https://www.flickr.com/photos/toastm...57642897898825

An epic blog video of the day!
http://vimeo.com/90002985

Complete Speclist for this turbo setup

- Engine/Driveline/Etc

2.5i 24v V6 KLZE (Jspec,shortneck, VRIS removed, stock 10.0:1 CR)
T3/T4 Turbo (.50A/R / .64A/R) 3" inlet, 2" outlet
Turbosmart Comp-Gate 40mm wastegate (7-psi spring)
Turbosmart Supersonic Blowoff
H-P-C modified TOPSPEED Pro headers, collector & downpipe
H-P-C modified KL fuelrail
Millenia-S injectors
GM IAT sensor
Innovate MTX-L wideband sensor and gauge
StratifiedAuto MSND76 ECU
StratifiedAuto MAP (4bar) sensor
StratifiedAuto electronic Boostcontroller
H-P-C modified oilsump
H-P-C modified intercooler
H-P-C custom intercooler piping
Siliconehoses.com & QSP silicone hoses
Setrab ProLine 330mm oilcooler
Mocal oilcooler takeoff with thermostat
Braided Steel Teflon line -4AN Turbo oil feed
Walbro 255 L/ph fuelpump
FSE fuelpressure regulator
JT 2,5" Exhaust line
JT catalist-converter replacement pipe
Invidia GT300 2.5"
Sickspeed T3 Black turboblanket
Sickspeed HT Wire Separators
LMA 1" & 2" heatwrap
OBX Underdrive-pulley
Outlaw Thermal Spacers
Pipercross foam airfilter
Magnetic oilsump plug
LTEC 1ltr oil catch-can
Kerr Nelson K1 10mm HT Racing wires
H-P-C modified engine mounts
Fidanza 4kg lightweight flywheel
Mfactory helical LSD
SPEC Stage3 (6-puck) disc
Exedy Stage2 pressureplate

- Suspension

K-Sport Coilover+Adjustables ms02-1
K-Sport 14kg/205mm front and 10kg/180mm rear springs
Whiteline swaybar 20mm rear
Sandtler strutbrace front
SuperPro polyurethane bushings front&rear
5MM wheelspacers front&rear

- Brakes

Front: K-Sport MA09-7-330 - 330mm & 8-pots caliper + EBC Yellow Stuff
Rear: BrakeMax drilled discs + EBC Yellowstuff
Goodridge steel reinforced hoses front&rear

- Fluids

Engine: Castrol Edge 5W30
Brakes: Brega Racing dot5.1
Transmission: Brega Racing 75W90

- Wheels/Tyres

Track set:
5Zigen fn01c-r 18" 7,5J, lightweight 'hot version'
Toyo R888 mediums (GG compound) in 225/40/R18
Spares:
Federal 595RS-R in 245/40/R18

Street:
Ultralite F40 18" 7.5J
Sailun Atrezzo ZS+ in 215/35/R18

- Misc.

NN EL-glow gauges
NN Oil temp & pressure gauges
Raid-HP boost gauge
LTEC 6-point harness
LTEC Rally Steeringwheel
LTEC tow strap
LTEC 'Ear' seat
H-P-C custom seatmounts
H-P-C full rollcage
H-P-C Lexan windows rear doors
FIA App. Master cutoff switch + pull cable
Batterybox and battery placed in back

Last edited by barreljan; 15-03-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 14-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
barreljan

Some more Vid's from the turbo on track

Qualifying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrVuOZFnBNw

Final, set the new best PR! First the outlap, then hotlap and followed by the inlap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rvsfL-crL4

Old 15-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Simply awesome!

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Would you be willing to advise your EBC settings? I'm running a Stratified PnP ECU on my BPT and have the same boost controller, set up in the same way. I could never get it work, it only gave 6-7psi, or all of it, which was damn close 20psi on my VF10 quite a few times. I've gone back to my manual bleed valve, but the boost bleeds off up top.

Open loop? Closed loop? Maybe a pic of the boost table or PID settings? Anything would help.
Old 15-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
ghetto3

Car: 97 ba 1.8 323
Wow...just WOW!!! 1135kg/290bhp with full cage and the weight of the v6!

I need trubo..
ghetto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
barreljan

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Would you be willing to advise your EBC settings? I'm running a Stratified PnP ECU on my BPT and have the same boost controller, set up in the same way. I could never get it work, it only gave 6-7psi, or all of it, which was damn close 20psi on my VF10 quite a few times. I've gone back to my manual bleed valve, but the boost bleeds off up top.

Open loop? Closed loop? Maybe a pic of the boost table or PID settings? Anything would help.
Im not running the EBC right now. Had the same issues; wouldn't work or i didn't know how and we tried but still got it up to 0.9 bar or so... too much for a stock ZE and did not wanted to damage the engine so I disconnected it all. It is now running on direct wastegate pressure.

I will post some more project work this day. In the near future I will be needing the EBC Something with more boost and stuff

Old 15-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #12
barreljan

In 2014 we drove just 2 rounds of the 5 rounds season of Time Attack. There was a slight cooling issue and it was puffing blue smoke in cold conditions. Compression was on the lower margin of the OEM specs... So maybe the turbo setup was asking to much from the KLZE after 5 years on the track

So on to the engine rebuild.

All assembled

Removed the bumper

Removed the radiator, intercooler, oilcooler and more

Removed the inlet manifold and discover one of the problems with the positive pressure inside the sump and overflow. Leaky valvestem seals...
The oil on top of the valve itself (the greenish bit) doesn't belong there! The black smudge on the sides is normal.

The Turbosmart wastegate, looks nice! No signs of rust of wear

Exhaust side of the turbo, no problems there

Inlet side of the turbo, looks sharp. No feelable wear on the shaft

Were we at..

There she goes

Empty engine bay

On the engine stand

Leaky oilseal on the crank..

Removed some bits

Left head, nice and clean, not dark brown, no signs of heavy wear

Right head

Ready to get the valvetrain disassembled and the heads removed

Old 15-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
barreljan

Few days later;

Left cilinder head removed. Im happy to see this After all the mileage.

idem

Left clinderhead valves, seems nice!

Left cilinderbank again, now with flash

Right clinders head removed

Whooops!! Cilinder 2 has a problem...

Holy cow! Mother of all... wtf, cilinder 6 shows more problems

Right cilinderhead valves, bit greasy thats all

cilinder 6 valves, no damage, no dents of whatever kind of unwanted signs

Sump pick and sump baffle plate. Looks sharp

Bottom end

Exposed crank

Crank bearing surface, nice!

Crank bearings, also nice!

But wait wut? Bent piston rod!

More bent piston/rod sets... damn! All the big end bearings are showing no extreme wear of grooves, just nice!

First head degreased and a bit cleaned, ready for work

All the goodies are almost complete

Whole lot of OEM gaskets

Shiny bits 8)

Old 30-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
wow bent rods.. never seen that in a v6

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hpc, klze, race, turbo, v6r