Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 16-05-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
safetyboy

Buying a Mazda SP23

Xposted from http://www.msprotege.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159

Greetings. I am new to the forum, hopefully some of you might have some advice for me.

At the moment I am looking at buying a Mazda 3 SP23.

Unfortunately, I have not had a whole lot of experience buying new cars, have always bought second hand until now.

I run my own company, and am looking at leasing/hire purchase on it.

I have 3 questions:

1)Any general feedback on the SP23? It seems to be getting excellent reviews in all the motor magazines, but I am looking for the point of view of someone who has owned for a couple of months. Are you happy with your purchase, have you had any problems, is there anything about the car that really ****s you?

2)Sticker price on the car is 29990 + onroads, which means it works out close to 34 on the road. I assume that I shouldn't be buying sticker price - but how much room to move do the dealers have on this?

They have given me a trade-in price on my current car. I am guessing that they have an amount that they can move on the car, for arguments sake lets say 2k. I assume that if I beat another $1000 dollars out of the dealer for the trade in, that comes out of the pool and gives them less room to move on the price of the car?

Any general suggestions of how to get the best price out of them?

3) Finally, the dealership uses St George as their leasing company. Is it worth shopping around for this sort of thing, or is it much of a muchness?

Thanks for your time.

SB
safetyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 17-05-2004, 12:12 PM   #2
kyra
AstinaGT Regular

A few of us have test driven the sp23 and enjoyed it. I have the sp20 and even though sp23 has more power, you can't really feel it, only the torque from down low. the sedan looks great and handles ok, sp20 is great too. i dunno, for another 10k, you can get a new wrx
dealers will not really budge on the 30k ask b/c there are so many orders backed up for the sp23. your best bet is the trade in... they offered me 21k for my trade-in, but yeah, will do anything for a sale!

best of luck,
Bill
kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
SP:KING

Car: SP20
Do what Kyra said get a WRX, not at all a fan of SP23, Thank God I got mine when I did.
SP:KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP:KING
Do what Kyra said get a WRX, not at all a fan of SP23, Thank God I got mine when I did.
Baaaaa!!!
Why follow the flock?
Old 19-05-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

Car: 2005 SP23 Hatch
Send a message via MSN to MrShadow
We own a brand new SP23. The dealer has about $500 MAX to move around on a new SP23. But, as there is such a waiting list for them, you've got SFA chance fo talking them down.

Dealers have very little margin on new cars. For example, on a new fully optioned Ford XR8, the dealer makes $500 :shock: :shock: (we repair their printers, some of the stuff you overhear is interesting). They make their money on trade-ins and second hand cars. Oh, and selling you paint protection.

When buying a new car, remember: you don't NEED paint protection. Window Tinting will be cheaper if you get it done yourself. They only call in the same people you would go to anyway.

Overall, if you own a late model SP20, Think hard as to if you really want it. Otherwise, it's a beautiful car. Heaps of go, lovely seats (the back are especially comfortable).

The low-end torque however, is not really quite 'there', but wind it up, and....weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

As I said, if you own a late model SP20, do you really want to? Upgrading from a standard 323, whichever model is a different story. we love it.

Confuscias say "man who go to sleep with itchy bottom, wake up with smelly finger"
MrShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
i had a fang of an SP23 hatch.

quiet. rode well, but ran out of breath at the top end

but there'd be other cars i'd buy for 30k

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2004, 07:38 PM   #7
preeman80
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SP20 BJII Hatch
My friend has just got one/in process off, the price came to be 32,000 drive away, sp23 sedan, manual, window tint, sp23 mats, and those side things... uhmm.. weather shields (slim line) for the front.
preeman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2004, 09:38 AM   #8
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

Quote:
the price came to be 32,000 drive away
Damn, how'd he/she get that?

Confuscias say "man who go to sleep with itchy bottom, wake up with smelly finger"
Old 24-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #9
dfvadr

Car: ss , sp20 , 94ba
thats not hard to do if your a good bull**** artist an the dealer wants you to have a car now remember 1 thing they will only tell u wat they want u to no an nothing else
as for mark up there is a lot more then a couple off thousand beleive me
when i bought my sp20 in september 2001 they where 26990 +dealer an delivery charges plus on -road which took most people over 31000 , i drove mine away for 26700 .
a girl i no that worked for mazda head office got hers for 26600 she still dont beleive how i did it, but i have it thats all that matters
but i also agree with a comment made earlier about them being so new an most dealers have orders for them so they can tell u no an not do any discounting
- 18"ame's
- custom interior
- kenwood head unit , pioneer speakers driven by 800 watt amp , kicker subs driven by 1000 watt amps each sub [135.2db at supernats], two 1th caps 4 tv screens dvd player
- xbox
- airbag suspension with gas strut towers
- custom plates an airbrushing on bonnet
dfvadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2004, 03:45 PM   #10
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
I bought my MX5 from the dealer, got about $4K more for my trade in than any other dealer had offered, and then talked them down $6K and had them throw in cruise control, service and extended factory warranty.

Too bad the service department let them down...

BUT, that said, mine was not a brand new car.

But for my $30K I got a lot of bang for my buck, and it's dead sexy too!!!

Best of luck with your purchasing decision, I know I have just been through it all and test drove a LOT of cars, new and not new...
I can assure you that the sp23 does a fine job compared to say the VRX Lancer... but I can't get past the fabric colours of the interior. I like the LED lights on the hatch, but you don't get them on the sedan.

Do a comparison with the power/weight ratios and the options lists from some of the car sites, it does give you some very interesting information.

Cheers and let us all know how you go!

*and agree with Cosmo, wrx is a clone car these days unfortunately*
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2004, 07:05 PM   #11
preeman80
AstinaGT Regular

I did it.. the deal has been done.. it is now 31800 with tints, sp23 floor matts, and slimline weather shields... yea!
Old 25-05-2004, 12:22 AM   #12
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
WOW, congrats preeman!!!

pics!!!!!

will we get to see it at Dyno Day?

what colour did you get?

Awesome news tho!!!
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 09:16 AM   #13
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

Congrats. You'll love it.

Old 25-05-2004, 07:05 PM   #14
kyra
AstinaGT Regular

Mate, that's a great deal! well done and I hope you enjoy it.
kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2004, 03:44 PM   #15
preeman80
AstinaGT Regular

doh!!! confusion people lol :lol:

if you guys read the posts, it kinda makes sense, i was saying how my friend got one for 32k, and the next question was how? and my answer was i got the deal with the dealer for 31,800! I got the deal for my friend not for me

I wish I had two Astinas, not right now.. broke

hope that make sense... :lol: