Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 22-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Frankie17

Car: SP20
SP20 suspension

Hey guys,

So I've finally got around to investing some money in my SP20 again, and I'm going to need your help as I'm a little out of my depth here. I've done a little bit of reading around and have decided to go with a set of Eibach springs, and as far as I can tell, the part number is 5540.140.

However my question is what kind of shocks would you guys recommend, I know people have been recommending the Tokico's but I think they may be out of my price range. What are some alternatives ?
Old 22-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
I have a pair of Tokico Blue HP in the front and im going to import from the US a pair of rears to match soon, they aren't as expensive as you may think.
Im running Autoexe springs which are progressive and offer a much smoother ride than the pedders that were in there.
Im looking at around USD $230-245 + shipping for a rear pair and if you order at the same time as another member you will be able to spilt shipping.

While your changing your shocks spend an extra $225 and get a progress rear sway bar installed at the same time.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
TheMAN

Car: .
there are many springs for the BJ
I suggest you have a look on my page and choose the ones you want... lots of detailed info is listed there!
Eibachs are not the best out there for our cars (unless they are the mazdaspeed branded ones) and from my experience, progressive rate springs are finicky with proper dampening from the shocks... they will ride too harsh when just driving around town but will feel too soft under spirited driving because the dampening is too much and too little respectively

linear rate springs are the way to go... not only is handling more predictable, the ride is more comfortable with the proper shocks
Old 23-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Ed hit the nail on the head. If you search around there have been people who have swapped to progressive springs from linears and have wished later that they had not, simply for the to soft under spirited conditions.

Having said that however there are millions (perhaps not quite lol) who love the Eibach/Tokico combination. I honestly wish I had purchased coilovers instead of my autoexe springs now, but find the springs to be a world better then stock and have served me well.
Old 23-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
I would have loved to have got coil overs but at nearly $2000 for a decent set I postponed that idea for another few years.
That said I really like the ride the progressive Autoexes offer and I am quite happy with the setup as is.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
TheMAN

Car: .
the MSF/MP3 springs ride fairly soft yet handle good.... those are probably the softest linear springs
then there are espilers which lowers a lot and are pretty stiff, but you can only find them 2nd hand now.. tokico has their own springs too, their specs appear to be linear and are also fairly stiff... no reviews on them, but those sound like a good compromise for me between lowering and stiffness