Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #21
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Exhaust work ain't cheap if it's cheap in cost it's cheap.

Example - I had 3inch mandrel bend made up in one day only $800 from turbo dump back.
hmm last 7 years - rusted like hell and only got me in trouble once. Had nothing but a X-force milo tin on end and $50 hot dog. most expensive bit was the Special Cat (legal just no longer sold here legal)

You buy parts your self and weld it up if you have time.

You can import bits and fit it but again - can you - do you have time. What happens if something needs modification - do you have a welder access can you have the car off.

Not many exhaust shops really want to deal with those problems. They don't make money. It's not just about your costs. They have to make a living.

Castle Hill did my last Exhaust system to the WAY I WANTED IT. I was very very happy with it. because it was technically a CAT back and reposition plus pipe - very large chambered resonator etc. Plus it passed EPA testing.

IMO if money is an issue and you don't plan on this being your one and only true car for 25 years. Then don't waste money on a stainless exhaust you can't see.

A simple pressbent 2.25inch is more then enough. Unless you run just resonators any muffler that makes it legal will be more restriction then say mandrel bent pipe will free up.

A decnet simple systme should not cost more then $500 in sydney even with a good lucky muffler. Man I miss my old lucky 2.5inch they don't make it in the right configuration anymore
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #22
pzele000

Car: Astina, SP20, 2002
Thanks for the info.
pzele000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #23
TheMAN

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhog View Post
Exhaust work ain't cheap if it's cheap in cost it's cheap.

Example - I had 3inch mandrel bend made up in one day only $800 from turbo dump back.
hmm last 7 years - rusted like hell and only got me in trouble once. Had nothing but a X-force milo tin on end and $50 hot dog. most expensive bit was the Special Cat (legal just no longer sold here legal)

You buy parts your self and weld it up if you have time.

You can import bits and fit it but again - can you - do you have time. What happens if something needs modification - do you have a welder access can you have the car off.

Not many exhaust shops really want to deal with those problems. They don't make money. It's not just about your costs. They have to make a living.

Castle Hill did my last Exhaust system to the WAY I WANTED IT. I was very very happy with it. because it was technically a CAT back and reposition plus pipe - very large chambered resonator etc. Plus it passed EPA testing.

IMO if money is an issue and you don't plan on this being your one and only true car for 25 years. Then don't waste money on a stainless exhaust you can't see.

A simple pressbent 2.25inch is more then enough. Unless you run just resonators any muffler that makes it legal will be more restriction then say mandrel bent pipe will free up.

A decnet simple systme should not cost more then $500 in sydney even with a good lucky muffler. Man I miss my old lucky 2.5inch they don't make it in the right configuration anymore
the racing beat muffler does NOT add any real restriction to their catback system... it is a straight through design... does not go through convoluted baffles inside... but the muffler is still big and makes the exhaust the quietest performance exhaust system for our cars... it meets the california 95db noise standard, as well as california's emission requirements, and I really don't think it's louder than 90db anyway, so I don't think it's a problem with aussie laws

the entire racing beat system is also stainless and is a straight bolt on to the aussie BJs... for the price and cost of importing it, it'll be better quality and CHEAPER than having an exhaust custom made

Last edited by TheMAN; 09-03-2012 at 07:16 AM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
pzele000

I am thinking the same at the moment. Even with the import cost I will end up with cheaper, better quality cat back than getting one done in Sydney. BTW, magnaflow is offering life time warranty on their mufflers, while RedBack or Lukey is 2 years. What does that tell you?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Well first off. Magnaflow won't respect the Warrenty here unless you buy it from a dealer here. They might if they feel like it but unlikely.

If your willing to import it and fit it yourself - Fine it will be worth it.
I'm not saying don't do it.

It should all bolt up but any adjustments may end up adding to the cost further down the track.

The Nosie issue is not major one. I know the difference between 90 and 95 and 96which is what I hope to achive with a California exhuast on 1988 Vette. I'm working on.

In my personal opinion he should do what he feels like.
I personaly don't think a Cop will look at you in NSW with mild a exhaust. But you do need the Big 3 - NO P-plates - 2nd No Loud modifications - EG big wheels and lowered. 3rd you need to be White and educated.
Have all 3 your exhaust can be 120Db and Cops will not bother you.
I can say that I had all 3 or at least 2 (never had P-plates) for 10 years no problem I only got done because of the Truck noise testing facilites that are around now. I had to go 90DB and it's Massive difference.

but I'm happier with less noise.

If you can get the Racing beat here, and fitted do it.

I got no issue
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
TheMAN

Car: .
the only "adjustment" necessary with the racing beat is shortening the tail pipe because the non-US bumpers are slimmer... so the exhaust sticks out about an inch

a few here have the Racing Beat and more in the UK... the SP20 is mechanically the same as the UK 323F Sport, except for the brakes... the emissions system, ECU, exhaust system... all the same... the exhaust system is near identical to the US version and the exhaust flange locations and bends are the exact same places, which is why the Racing Beat bolts up to your cars without any real issues

I wouldn't say this if I haven't seen it done on this forum and the UK one myself... and I haven't seen a single person say they had to modify it, unlike one bloke in Japan who had to extend his imported Racing Beat catback by half an inch to mate up with the downpipe on his MSF

the quietness, civilised nature and subtle styling of the Racing Beat exhaust is why I recommend it... it doesn't attract unwanted attention... it's been dyno tuned and proven to gain power... the quality and construction of it is also top notch... I've seen competing brands of catback exhaust for OUR cars, and I honestly haven't seen one that matches its quality... it's a shame that they don't make a 80mm version for turbo cars.... getting a custom exhaust made may or may not give you the same performance characteristics, poor bends, or poor muffler choice will definitely ruin it all.... the fitment and welds might not be as good either unless you find an extremely good shop (there is one here across town that's famous in the US... celebrities such as Jay Leno has shipped their cars to that shop to have custom exhausts fitted). In any case, you're walking a fine line here if you want that performance... you're trying to meet or beat the 4whp increase Racing Beat got with their exhaust! It's very hard to do when Mazdas are known to not give that much gains with intake and exhaust mods, unlike Nissans or Hondas

Last edited by TheMAN; 09-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
arden

Car: Suby
A few years ago, a member on here imported the Racing Beat exhaust from the u.s and like TheMan said above, it does stick out slightly due to the different bumper.

It sounds decent, very stealth and not loud at all.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
pzele000

Thanks for all the info