Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Classifieds > For Sale/Wanted

View Poll Results: Which car should we design our first cold air intakes for?
BG Astina 9 25.00%
BA Astina 18 50.00%
BJ Astina 9 25.00%
BK/Mazda 3 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #21
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinncinatus
Don't mean to rain on your parade Twiggy, my car has 140k, engine was replaced at 82k, when previous driver went through a puddle of water without an air filter. Seen the reciepts, $14,600 brand spanking new engine from mazda. Def don't want to be mixing air intake with water.
can't imagine lack of filter helped either =)

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
Old 24-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #22
LordWorm

OMG POLL UPDATE!

ok guys....looks at this stage as if its the BA with a landslide...will keep the poll going for a bit longer...but we may start needing a BA to muck around with soon.. So if you have a BA with a stock looking engine bay (for the instruction booklet pictures - dont wanna confuse people), want to buy a cold air intake and dont mind leaving your car with us over a weekend while we work things out.... Oh, and you need to be in brisbane, preferably northside because thats where it'll be built.... please email sales@b3motorsports.com with the subject line "Stock BA Astina - me wanty cheap CAI!" and leave your details

ta.

Old 24-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #23
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mondeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinncinatus
Don't mean to rain on your parade Twiggy, my car has 140k, engine was replaced at 82k, when previous driver went through a puddle of water without an air filter. Seen the reciepts, $14,600 brand spanking new engine from mazda. Def don't want to be mixing air intake with water.
my engine has 350,000kms on it and it still ran with 10l of water in the sump and rocker gear.

and survived it!!

cant you just add a small higher pipe (filtered of course) that sits above the water level, maybe 1/4 the diameter of the main pipe.

that might reduce the vaccuum of the main intake enough to avoid it being physically able to ingest water.

71.3kw@5341rpm - 394.4nm@3968rpm - Protek Dyno.
2000 Mazda MX5
Old 24-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #24
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
Read a similar idea a while ago, someone had the bright idea of simply leaving the stock intake attached and having a cold air intake, that way, air follows the path of least resistance, and majority comes form cai, when thats blocked, it draws from original intake.

Another seloution is the setup bats runs, theres a filtered valve that sits just in front on the air box, if the intake gets blocked, it sucks air in from the top of the engine bay, ask him where he got it, some web site in america.
Old 24-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #25
LordWorm

Great suggestions, but i dont think any of them would really offer peak performance, what with extra holes for hot air to get in, more turbulence caused by bits of pipe attached and so forth.

We'll keep it simple. This will keep costs down and performance up. Just dont go driving through huge puddles of standing water... cos we aint payin for a new motor :P

Old 26-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #26
LordWorm

update: got BA for prototyping now... will open up a pre-order thread in the next couple of weeks. Following that thread being opened, we'll start prototyping the BJ by the looks, then the BG after that.

Pre-order rules will be basically deposit to lock yourself in, then balance once thing is built. People who pay everything up front will score priority assembly etc. 10 slots will be open for hte BA batch..then it'll be a couple of months before another BA batch gets done (after the first BJ and then first BG batch gets finished....only have one welder, and one welding guru...)

Old 22-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #27
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Car: MPS3
In regards to everyones queries about water into the filter, I have a Injen style one and i havent had any problems with water in engine etc, and a mate of mine with a DC2R has a genuine Injen and a aftermarket body kit with lots of opening and he hasn't had any dramas. No cars going to be safe if your driving through 1m high water :P
Old 22-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #28
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
i've had my injen for 5 years now and not one problem. it's just a matter of driving careful when it's been bucketing down rain
Old 25-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #29
LordWorm

Don't park your car in a foot of water... simple =)

BJ intake will be built along side BA header now, we're doing them both at the same time....details in the development thread....

Cheers

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Um, who the fark bumped a 6 year old thread???
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #31
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
ha, locked.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Closed Thread