Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 18-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #61
mattylagana

Car: Ba 323 Astina hatch V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_something View Post
The same reason I've done my exhaust. It makes me smile accelerating.
The same reason I've done the LED strip, it makes me smile seeing it reflected in other cars.
I wanted to do the led strips it's a awesome look, was it hard to do?
>97' V6 MAZDA 323 S3|Sunroof|18"x8" RX8 rims|Custom Cold air intake|klze headers, 100cpi cat, resi delete, Apexi back box|Top Gun Leads/NGK Platinum Iridium plugs|Soundstream Sound|Lowered on yellow speeds|Whiteline heavy duty swaybar|cusco front strutty|momo steering|short shifter|Lantis door sills|
This is my girl sxc isn't she? http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18139
mattylagana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #62
mattylagana

the spring just arrived
>97' V6 MAZDA 323 S3|Sunroof|18"x8" RX8 rims|Custom Cold air intake|klze headers, 100cpi cat, resi delete, Apexi back box|Top Gun Leads/NGK Platinum Iridium plugs|Soundstream Sound|Lowered on yellow speeds|Whiteline heavy duty swaybar|cusco front strutty|momo steering|short shifter|Lantis door sills|
This is my girl sxc isn't she? http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18139
Old 18-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #63
mikey_something

Car: 1998 Toyota Supra 3.0L Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylagana View Post
I wanted to do the led strips it's a awesome look, was it hard to do?
Depends.
You can do it the way Tony did (much better way) an take your headlights apart and put them in.
Or
You can do it my way, buy an $8 led strip set, use some double sided tape for non adhesive surfaces (i.e. Sticks to everything) an stick them on the underside of the headlights.
mikey_something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #64
mattylagana

Is there a thread on led lights?
Old 19-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #65
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
look in tonys thread, my thread also has some photos. wired to parker lights. i used silicone to sick the led strips onto the top of the actual glass headlight. never melted or anything and ive had them on for ages. still goin too. i was originally going to buy flexible EL wire and run it around the edges of my bonnet so that it would glow but 1: it costs a fair bit and 2: AFAIK it wouldnt be legal... make sure the lights arent too BLUE as they are illegal on anything other than an emergency vehicle. no amber either (only for indicators and fog lights)...
Old 19-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #66
mattylagana

err seems a bit fussy for me ay, would pay somone in wlongong area haha
Old 19-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #67
Clean_Cookie

fussy? umm buy strips off ebay for less than $10. add silicone and stick to headlights. then strip off a bit of the insulation and splice onto parkers. tape up (add solder if you want to do a decent job) and test. if they arent working swap the wires around (as Diodes only pass current one way...-the D in LED if you didnt figure that out already!-)
Old 19-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #68
mikey_something

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
fussy? umm buy strips off ebay for less than $10. add silicone and stick to headlights. then strip off a bit of the insulation and splice onto parkers. tape up (add solder if you want to do a decent job) and test. if they arent working swap the wires around (as Diodes only pass current one way...-the D in LED if you didnt figure that out already!-)
^this

It's very simple. If you just want them off the parking lights it's as simple as that.
You can pull the bulbs out of the Parking lights so u can poke the LED wires into the terminals to test before you start splicing insulation.
There's insulation splitters, maybe $15? I just used scissors and a razor blade and some patience. I didn't use solder just tape incase I get pulled over for them one day it'll be easy to rip them apart. Mine are slightly blue (as all "white" LEDs seem to be).
Old 19-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #69
mattylagana

err pulled up for them? get fined
Old 19-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #70
mikey_something

In theory any cop having a bad night could decide my lights are too blue for his liking.
There's pretty much something on every members car that could be fined if the cop was feeling like it.
Uncovered pods, lowering, big wheels, loud exhausts.
Welcome to car modifications.
You'll be hassled less by the cops if you sell your car and become an axe murderer.

EDIT: a fine would be at said cops discretion. a warning would be more likely for LED strips...

Last edited by mikey_something; 19-07-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 19-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #71
mattylagana

just reading your last post angers me ay lol, how is a covered pod any safer or more legal then an uncovered one?, lowering your car in a reasonable manner does nobody harm, and the exhaust being loud they havnt herd loud till they catch some idiot in a bombadore with his exhaust chopped after the manifold!
Old 19-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #72
mikey_something

uncovered pod is something about the oiled filters COULD catch fire... there was a story about it all over the news some time ago with a "bunch of hoons". riiiiight :/ defect
lowering is all about ground clearance, i might be wrong but 110mm from the lowest point of the car? (this includes the exhaust, catches some people out) defect
and >90dB for exhaust is defect.
HIDs could probly be defected/fined too. >6000K and its asking for trouble. Blueish LEDs can be a fine or a warning. it just depends.

If you get pulled over, dont be an asshat.

Mate got pulled over for loud exhaust. She gave the cop a bit of lip. Before she knows it he's got the bonnet up and got her defected for:
uncovered pod, missing battery bracket, loose battery terminals, exhaust hanging too low, sideskirts too low, bald tyres, A-Pillar Gauges, and of course noise pollution from the exhaust.
If she kept her mouth shut, she may have gotten away with a simple defect fixable by a silencer. anyway, thats just how it works.
Old 31-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #73
mattylagana

help!!!! so I tried to install my springs today and got the fornt ones in no porblem, the springs looked preety much the same but the whitelines where a bit bigger then the stock ones, then went to install the rear springs the stock springs had all even coils, and the whitelines had 3 really close coils and the all even, and again bigger then stock, when placed on the strut I had trouble getting the center nut of the shock into the center of the top coil ( if u understand good work ) finaly I got the nut on and got it back into the car an bolted on, and now I have a nocking noise from that spring, I left the rear left spring stock beacause I ran out of daylight, I got out of the car and shoock the rear whiteline spring and I got a clunk noise as I pushed and pulled, my old boy says they must be for another car. does anyone have a picture of what whitelines should look like for my ba? or has anyone had this issue??
Old 31-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #74
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
You sure the spring is in the seat? One of my rear springs had come away from the seat, causing it to knock.
Old 31-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #75
mattylagana

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
You sure the spring is in the seat? One of my rear springs had come away from the seat, causing it to knock.
the old boy and I put it in there best we could before tightining the bolt so unless j took it off and had a look I'd say I'm 85% sure it is
Old 31-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #76
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
If you have spring tensioners, put some tension on the springs and check both upper & lower rubber seats
Old 31-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #77
mattylagana

yep I used them to put the springs on the car and like I said I'm preety sure it was fine ay, but I really would like to see a picture of another whiteline set of springs fo my car
Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #78
Clean_Cookie

Btw the different coil spacing is what's referred to as progressive rate springs. First bit compresses easily and is comfortable and the more its compressed, the harder it becomes providing a stiffer more precise feel.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #79
mattylagana

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
Btw the different coil spacing is what's referred to as progressive rate springs. First bit compresses easily and is comfortable and the more its compressed, the harder it becomes providing a stiffer more precise feel.
At the risk of sounding like a complete dumbass, the bunched coils are ment to be at the top of the hat right? Like up in the boot ??
Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #80
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
no, the tightly wound section of the spring should be at the bottom.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323, astina, hatch, vsix