Brisbane_boy

Car: 2002 323 astina
u can get those mats from auto barn or super cheap even. cost me $30 for all 4

If your not allowed to go fast, you might as well look fast
Brisbane_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #22
miah87

Car: R33 sedan
Hey guys there is a problem wit my car again... This is a tough one... The day before yesterday, I drive for 40 minutes to school and when I reach school there is a noise coming from the front, I think its not from the engine but from the wheels... So I take it to my mechanic right after I finish my class and he asked me to leave the car there since its already 3.30pm. So the next day, my mechanic said the noise is gone and he suspect the CV JOINT. He also suspect that this noise will occur only when the CV JOINT is hot enough after more than half an hour drive. So I went to my mechanic and take the car. I was happy at first since the noise is really gone, right before I reach home at approximately 35 to 40 minutes of driving, the noise came back again. Has anyone had this problem before?

Note: The noise is like two metal brushing each other. When I go faster, the noise become faster and go slower the noise slower. Its definitely something to do with the wheels. Brakes are fine.

Need help... Thx
miah87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #23
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by miah87 View Post
Hey guys there is a problem wit my car again... This is a tough one... The day before yesterday, I drive for 40 minutes to school and when I reach school there is a noise coming from the front, I think its not from the engine but from the wheels... So I take it to my mechanic right after I finish my class and he asked me to leave the car there since its already 3.30pm. So the next day, my mechanic said the noise is gone and he suspect the CV JOINT. He also suspect that this noise will occur only when the CV JOINT is hot enough after more than half an hour drive. So I went to my mechanic and take the car. I was happy at first since the noise is really gone, right before I reach home at approximately 35 to 40 minutes of driving, the noise came back again. Has anyone had this problem before?

Note: The noise is like two metal brushing each other. When I go faster, the noise become faster and go slower the noise slower. Its definitely something to do with the wheels. Brakes are fine.

Need help... Thx
usually when cv joints go it is a clak clak clak sound when u turn only. sound increases with speed (freequency) and load (pitch) but it should nto occur in straight line. i dont understand wat u mean by 2 metals brushing sound, it can be so many diff sounds made by 2 metals in contact. is it a squealing sound??
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #24
miah87

I really don't know how to describe that sound. Isn't squealing sound is high pitch. Ermmmm there is one way to tell the sound, it is similar but not exactly the same... Turn on your fan and use ur finger nails to touch the fan.. The sound is like >>>> " tuck tuck tuck tuck tuck"

And this only happens when the car had been running for more than 30 minutes almost 40 minutes

When the car goes faster, the sound goes faster as well.. As if it is following the speed of the wheels...

Hope you can understand what I'm saying
Old 12-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #25
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

someone correct me if im wrong but to me that sounds like the wheel bearing...

and if someone does confirm this is the wheel bearings this is how u change them
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #26
miah87

I was thinking bout the same thing... I think it is the wheel bearing but Im not sure...

To confirm it, Does wheel bearing problems cause:

1. That sound only when the car runs for more than 30 minutes?
2. Sometimes turning to the right creates a louder noise
3. When the car comes to almost complete stop the noise can be heard clearly
4. Reverse seems fine though
Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #27
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
bearings are normally a humming sound that increases in volume the faster you go.

should not matter how long you have been driving for. the humming should be present all the time. unless it has been damaged for some time and not it is allowing movement within the inturnal of the bearings/hub. might explain klak klak noise when only turning right.

inner cv joint will make a klak klak sound increasing in frequency in a straight line when damaged also. not nothing in reverse.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #28
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

i was thinkin simmilar to that as well ryan but i dont get the warm up time.. what needs to expand to klak... still got me
i said wheel bearings cus the humming sound was the one i was thinking of whn describing 2 metals sliding
Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #29
project.r.racing

bearings when heated up above normal temps will have increased movement in them. extra movement may occur, hence the noise. if bearings at extremely damaged, then they spin with increased friction and heat to higher than normal temps.

or the hub axle bolt may be somewhat loose (only 0.25mm will cause the klak klak noise) as the axle might be sliding left to right inside the hub.

wouldn't know until the wheel is taken off and hubs and axles are inspected.

p.s. or as simple as loose lug bolts will get you klak klak noise in straight lines and cornering.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 12-03-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #30
miah87

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
bearings when heated up above normal temps will have increased movement in them. extra movement may occur, hence the noise. if bearings at extremely damaged, then they spin with increased friction and heat to higher than normal temps.

or the hub axle bolt may be somewhat loose (only 0.25mm will cause the klak klak noise) as the axle might be sliding left to right inside the hub.

wouldn't know until the wheel is taken off and hubs and axles are inspected.

p.s. or as simple as loose lug bolts will get you klak klak noise in straight lines and cornering.
loose lug bolts? I was suspecting that at first because last week I went to try a set of wheels from a private seller... He said that he is studying mechanical and knows a lot about mechanical. Well, I only test 1 out of 4 wheels and it is the front left wheels. Turning left makes louder noise... Will the loose bolts result in damaging the studs? Should I change the whole stud?

Edited!!!!!

But loose bolts will make the noise all the time rite? In my case, it only happens after more than 30 minutes drive...

Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #31
project.r.racing

well it is a 5 second test to go out to your car to eliminate that as a possible cause of the fault.
Old 13-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #32
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

mate this is useless... u cant describe noises thru a forum full stop. take the car to a PROPER mechanic not your friend who thinks its this or that..
Old 17-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #33
astie

Car: astina ba
I didnt know they have wheel size restriction in vic and qld!? how stupid ... is there such thing in NSW????

Quote:
in victoria you are allowed to go 15mm bigger and smaller rolling diameters than those originally fitted to the car.

185/65R14 = 595mm 14x5
195/55R15 = 594mm 15x5.5

the above are original fitted to a I4 1.8L BA Astina. the below would be legal fitting and most common fitments.

205/45R16 = 591mm 16x7
215/40R17 = 604mm 17x7
215/35R18 = 608mm 18x7.5

the vic and qld rules are the same for increased diameter. but in qld, we have a -10mm allowable decrease.

Thankz. you've made it very clear... xD thank you[/QUOTE]
astie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #34
miah87

I went to autobarn today and ask for a custom job for full interior blue lights... They said it will cost around $200... Is that worth?

Old 22-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #35
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

short answer NO
Old 22-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #36
Brisbane_boy

Car: 2002 323 astina
Quote:
I went to autobarn today and ask for a custom job for full interior blue lights... They said it will cost around $200... Is that worth?
Hell no. u can do it yourseld and its easy as.
there isnt even that many bulbs inside. probly cost u around $40 if that to buy LEDs from either autobarn or ebay

If your not allowed to go fast, you might as well look fast
Brisbane_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #37
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinarlusu View Post
I didnt know they have wheel size restriction in vic and qld!? how stupid ... is there such thing in NSW????

Thankz. you've made it very clear... xD thank you
NSW has the most strict wheel rules in the country. 2 inches bigger and 1 inch wider maximum.

Quote:
i'd put that money towards fixing the 100s of problems your car has.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 22-03-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 22-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #38
miah87

thx thx... haha... Gonna do it during easter... Sacrifice my easter holiday for my car...

Old 23-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #39
miah87

Guys, this morning my car blowing out white smoke for about 1 minute and that's a lot a lot of white smoke.. I don't know how does a white and blue smoke looks like but what me and my gf saw was only white smoke. So I rev it up and it continues. After that 1 minute, it is completely fine. Is my engine starts dying?

EDITED

sorry sorry, do now answer this question. I found this in other thread...

Last edited by miah87; 23-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 23-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #40
miah87

I know that white smoke = water in my oil.. Just had a minor service from my mechanic. Could it be that he accidentally drip in some water? Or somewhere is leaking?