Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 30-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #161
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
So, there has been some fruitful progress to kick off the new year and hopefully what will be the year that this engine actually gets into the car!

The current mini-project that has just been done was to have the cylinder head refreshed and to have some performance parts installed. As shown in the previous post, the Twiggy Cams were removed from the engine in the car in preparation for the work on the cylinder head.

The only other major performance parts were a new set of valve springs that are slightly firmer than the stock unit. The increased firmness and the fact that they are fresh will be important as I intend to take the engine up to 7,500 rpm. Funnily enough they came from a company called 'Performance Springs', which has the following website:
http://www.performancesprings.com.au/

The tasks done in the cylinder head recondition are listed below:
- Dismantle head
- Hot tank all components
- Bead Blast Head
- Jet wash and inspect all parts for wear and/or damage
- Check head for hardness and straightness
- Inspect all valves and guides for wear and/or damage
- Install new springs and check for correct seat pressure
- Face all valves and cut all valve seats
- Surface head face
- Vacuum test all valves

The other bit of work that was done was to see if there was anything that could be done to improve flow through the head. Most people would think that this would simply involve increasing the size of the inlet and exhaust ports, but the size of these ports is already sufficient.

Examining the valve 'bowl' the chamber just behind the valve, there is a significant lip in there which can restrict air flow. In my cylinder head this lip was removed and should provide improved volumetric flow as well as increase flow velocity (important for NA). As this was done with a CNC machine, the flow between each of the cylinders will be consistent. Hopefully this will prove its worth on the dyno

The end result is shown in the photo below:

Don't worry, there will probably be a better photo when the head gets put onto the block - which should happen soon after I get a new head gasket.

In terms of other progress, I'm cleaning up a few of the accessories and other bits and pieces while I wait for some more parts. Probably the next mini-project to get done is the modding to the valve cover to accommodate the Toyota COPs.

Hope to provide another update soon. Thanks

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #162
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
Interesting on that lip on the head. So was the ports enlarged at all ??

And did you go 1mm oversize ??

Makes me wanna start getting mine done seeing this fresh motor getting all back together lol.

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #163
Orion
SP20 Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIGHIE View Post
Interesting on that lip on the head. So was the ports enlarged at all ??

And did you go 1mm oversize ??

Makes me wanna start getting mine done seeing this fresh motor getting all back together lol.
The bowl just behind the valve was enlarged to take out the lip but the ports (where they meet the intake plenum and extractors) were not enlarged - they are big enough.

Nope, stock valves there. If going big turbo, then oversize valves will allow more air to get in. Because Im NA then having air velocity is more important and oversize valves would reduce velocity.

Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Old 02-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #164
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Was discussing this with Jamie, our thoughts were that the stock ports are massive, but the exhaust valve could go a little bigger. Suffer a little in terms of velocity, but flow up top would've been beneficial?

Unfortunately this occurred after the head had been torqued down and given that two of the bolts had to be coiled, I didn't want to risk pulling it off.

Given the similarities between our builds will be interesting to see the difference. I expect we will make around the same power. But differences in curve will be curious to see

Last edited by Ice88; 02-02-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Ice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #165
Orion
SP20 Member!

Oh wow! I thought it had been six months since the last update but I see that it has been a lot longer. Time to get things moving and attempt to make 2016 the year I finish up this engine and get it into the car. The engine has taken a bit of a backseat to some work around the house which has taken my time. So here goes (again).

Firstly, in the last month or so, I was able to arrange for a different water pump for the engine. A while ago by a Mazdas247 forum member made a more refined impeller for the water pump and I happened to learn that he had some left. I managed to score one and get it pressed into a new pump which was also then coated.

Here are some comparison pictures:

The impeller was flow benched against a stock unit and the numbers indicated that it could flow about 20% more. So it should move more coolant when idling (keeping the engine temps down) and hopefully wont drag or cavitate so much when in the higher revs.

This was one of the last items on the engine that was stock (not modified, upgraded or a new consumable part). As you can see I got the stock unit off the engine but I will have to wait to get some more Mazda Grey RTV Sealant so that I can install the new (upgraded unit). You will see it installed in more general progress photos.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #166
Orion
SP20 Member!

One of the big sticking points this year was getting the cylinder head attached to the block. This was partially due to needing a Cometic head gasket to properly fit around the bored cylinders as well as the need to acquire a deep, thin-walled socket to install it as there is not a lot of room. The final factor was a bit of trepidation about doing it myself.

Finally, I plucked up some courage and with some assistance from someone to chat to about the process to ensure that I didnt make a total balls-up of it (some of you make have seen my tongue-in-cheek post of Faceback).

So thankfully it was attached correctly with the proper torque specs and done in the correct order. Please see the horrible fuzzy iPhone pictures below:

The cams aren't properly installed yet as I'm waiting to get the Mazda Grey RTV Sealant to be able to do the last two journals near the cam gears. Again, I'm sure I'll either throw in a random picture later on which is clearer and shows everything or else I'll just replace these images.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #167
Orion
SP20 Member!

One item on the list of things to do was to attach the spacer between the engine and the gearbox to the block to enable an easier installation when the engine is finally ready to go.

Unfortunately, this meant that the clutch and flywheel needed to be disassembled so that the spacer could go in behind them onto the block. In order to do this, a very technical piece of equipment had to be err ... fashioned, to assist with torquing down the flywheel bolts - see below:

Installed pictures below:

Hopefully in the next few weeks there will be a lot of accessorising as all of the bit and pieces that I have floating around in my workshop make their way onto the block.

Stay tuned people, hopefully the next update will be in the next week or two and not 11 months like last time. Perhaps, even, 2016 will be the year that this engine finally goes in and gets running. If nothing else it will clear up a heap of room in my workshop and give me lots of space for games and activities

Old 02-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #168
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
Progress is coming along mate.

Are they the twiggy cams??

Edit.

I rust read the top post and seen you removed them to have the head matched

Last edited by HAIGHIE; 03-01-2016 at 09:25 AM.
HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #169
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
Nice progress, good to finally see our water pumps beside a stock one for comparison, must get mine moving too.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #170
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
nice work Darryl she is coming along nicely cant wait to see her in action.

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #171
Orion
SP20 Member!

Wow! It's been a year nearly since the last update.

So there has been very slow progress with this build due to a few factors - home renovations, a second child and a crazy year at work. So while it has been slow, the engine has really come together and is getting close to being finished and maybe even installed into the car - shocking, I know :O

So, since the last update the following has been done:
- Twiggy cam properly installed
- FS-ZE intake manifold with spacers installed
- MAM fuel rail, injectors and fuel pressure regulator installed
- Custom valve cover and Toyota coil packs installed
- Various pipes, sensors accessories installed

Things that still need to be done:
- Wire in injectors: need to check if they are 5v or 12v power
- Wire in coils
- Re-install clutch
- Continue adding accessories, brackets etc

Looking at these photos, makes me wonder if I need to do something more with the fuel line inlet as I have a funny feeling that it will foul on the custom intake manifold. That will be a pain because I have to take to throttle body off to adjust it. I'll check out what it looks like on the engine in the car and see if it might be a problem - stay tuned

Last edited by Orion; 12-12-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #172
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
Nice!
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #173
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Nice man looks great

injectors are a 12v system

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote