Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Zenki

Car: BJII Protege
Harry's 02 Protege Shades BJII

Hi guys,

I ran into the back of someone car the other day, I was behind him and then we turned right at an intersection the guy in front of me got blocked by a long truck right after he turned about 100m, I was then turn follow him around 5m behind him and when I see a long truck ahead I started to signal and proceed to change into the left lane, the guy in front of me also started to overtake the truck into the right lane but when he turned he suddenly stop and one third of his car was in the right lane, he must have realized that his car was too close to the truck and it's impossible for him to overtake so as I was too close to him and the road was slippery so I couldn't stop in time, I actually hit a break pedal hard but my car was just like slide straight into the back of his. My car got ****ed, damage headlights, bumper, bonnet, radiator, radiator support and my gearbox won't go into correct gear anymore, R is now somewhere between R and P, N is now R, and D is now N His wasn't that bad, just a few scratches on the back bumper, his bumper didn't even have a crack.

What a bad day! I went to the Police to report the crash and they told me if you hit into the back of someone it's prolly your fault my car is not insured and I only have third party. I have a few pics of my car here, could anyone please help me identify more damage and the estimated cost for fixing it! I got this car for only $6000 and honestly I wouldn't want to spent over $3000 to fix it If it's too much to be fixed then I just prolly sell it for parts

[/URL]

Last edited by Zenki; 27-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
sell it for parts. you have mechanical and cosmetic damage. if your were insured, it would be a right off.

cosmetric damage is always fixed pretty good. but mechanical damage can just keep coming back to haunt you again and again.

take it to the wreckers and see if you can get $1500 for it. ask for $2000, and hopefully they won't knock you down too far.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 12-02-2012 at 07:33 PM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
smurfy

Car: sp20
i agree with project.r.racing...

i did this..

bonnet
front bar
radiator support
radiator
grille
umm i think that was about it?

both headlights and fogs were fine..

$4500 worth of damage

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Sorry but it's all over red rover for that one. As Ryan sugested take it to the wreckers and see what they will give you. I think Ryan is being a little optomistic though, Busted BKs go for as little as $4k at the auctions.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
TheMAN

Car: .
yup... bonnet, front bar, wings (though they can probably be bent back to shape... damage minor), grilles all around, headlights, radiator, A/C condenser, radiator support, and gearbox shift linkage

the damage is almost as much as you paid for the car mate

let it be a lesson not to follow to closely and/or drive to quickly in the rain... plus a good insurance coverage is a must
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
Unless you can find a donor car really cheap to swap parts off I would call your car a write off.
However if you can find one at a $49 all you can carry day you may be able to fix it a bit cheaper.

Also sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully you can fix it cheaply.
Check the linkage cables from the gearbox and make sure brackets not bent.
That may fix selector issues

Last edited by phildough; 12-02-2012 at 08:20 PM.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
mattylagana

Car: Ba 323 Astina hatch V6
on the other hand if all is well machanicaly I think I saw a front radiator support forthis on eBay
>97' V6 MAZDA 323 S3|Sunroof|18"x8" RX8 rims|Custom Cold air intake|klze headers, 100cpi cat, resi delete, Apexi back box|Top Gun Leads/NGK Platinum Iridium plugs|Soundstream Sound|Lowered on yellow speeds|Whiteline heavy duty swaybar|cusco front strutty|momo steering|short shifter|Lantis door sills|
This is my girl sxc isn't she? http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18139
mattylagana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
not worth fixing. if the chassis is bent at all like mine was in my accident, itll probably leak once fixed like mine does now which is really annoying. another one to the scrap heap...
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
check with your local wreckers for one with good front bumper, fenders?, bonnet, head lights, grille etc, the radiator support panel, condenser and radiator can be sourced through crash repair suppliers.
it's all possible just a matter of viability, check my build to see what can be done for $5k though(lack of parts at the wreckers at the time)

Last edited by JDM323; 12-02-2012 at 08:49 PM.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Gone

Is it worth fixing NO - Sad too it was nice original front end looks like it's first and last crash.
Reason the upright linking the radiator support is bent down to it's joint on the chassis rail. These cars are plastic - in fact all the way back to 1985 is when you see the lower chassis support arm crash crumple zone - from then on it's when they started really folding.

Insurance company if it was woth 10K would only panel beat it out because to fix it right would $500 V just $500 for the internal and external panel and rail. no labour cost etc

Yes if it was decent car like SP20 you could repair it with a clean cheaper model if you have the know how and cut re weld in a new peice but it's labour intensive process.

parts alone on that front end are over $3K yes cheaper if you can get all 2nd hand parts

The other problem is All the parts worth good money to a wreaker are finished. If you can get around $1500 in SA I'd take it.
Not sure what prices are going for in SA. but not worth that much in NSW So you should start looking if you can to save your time at prices now -the longer you wiat the worse it is for you. As Alot of FLood Damaged cars from Northen NSW and QLD will make the market. They are all prime cars for wreakers. Freash water damage is nothing. I bought a Mx-5 with such thing and resold it. Insurance companys now stop you doing it and sat write off on all and it's Killed auction prices.

Oh Auto might be slighty out on the selector cable end on gearbox Could be - for two reasons - one the unit has moved due to the massive shunt normally you might find the inhibitor switch plays.
OR because the whole unit -engine box has shifted worse.

I know it's not nice to say but Definalley following TOO CLOSE.
5 meters ? try 10 at least and always keep it even in slow traffic.

I did the same thing when I was in school or skipping it in my Mx6 14 years ago. NRMA never fixed the rail. They bashed it out Pre GST it was still $1700 labour for that on it's own. today you can still see it.
I hit rear bar on Van did all the damage but I did get a brand new intercooler from mazda $1500 worth. I was not watching the road and let the car roll into the one front.

Let it be leason in life. It was for me,
I never drive with School girls in my car without both hands on the wheel.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Zenki

Car: BJII Protege
Thanks for all your advises, It's really sad to see my first car like this! Lesson well learnt guys!

Any ideas how much the car would worth as parts? One of my mate at work is keen enough to buy it as parts just to help me out but I don't really know what the price is, I don't want to sell it to him more than what it worth, a part from that front the rest is still in pretty good condition, interior, doors, wheels are well kept and maintained, I wash my car inside out twice a week cuz its my first car and it was well loved
Zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
Sorry but it's all over red rover for that one. As Ryan sugested take it to the wreckers and see what they will give you. I think Ryan is being a little optomistic though, Busted BKs go for as little as $4k at the auctions.
I was just trying to lessen the blow for the poor bugger. To be honest. When the headlights/bonnet, guards stuffed, $500-$750.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
JDM323

unsure of what it's worth but why not remove the damaged bolt on parts to see what the front is really like.
to get the radiator support panel replaced is straight forward for a panel-beater if you have already stripped the rest out.
Old 13-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
TheMAN

frame is definitely not bent... only extensive damage is the top side of the radiator support.... very little damage below the headlights (where the frame is behind the bar)
Old 13-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
chewyryce

Car: NA MX5
you learn from your mistakes. especially in your first car. i remember crashing my first car that i caused... 8 years later not a single accident caused by myself only because i am more aware and cautious to how i drive near others. and yes you are at fault for being too close

as long as everyone is alright its time to move on to a new car.
Old 14-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
frame is definitely not bent... only extensive damage is the top side of the radiator support.... very little damage below the headlights (where the frame is behind the bar)
The lower attchment bar and rail legs will be damaged.
US cars don't meet ADR rules - US cars have different desgin rules.
I've seen that front end hit it's always written off - it's always damaged under neither.
You might know a Fair bit about cars but understand Here In Australia cars have to meet ADR's Australian desgin rules which require minor changes or equivlants like meeting European - or German/French standards.
This makes them in many strutual areas different.

In the past I use to buy parts from the US and Japan. Where US cars had same guage metal in use - you can't use your 80's bumper off a Rx7 because have silly Shocks put in for pedestrians. Not fitted in Australia and mountings are different. Same goes How Japanese Doors are made of lighter material and untill 1993 didn't have side intrusion bar fitted like we had from 1983.

what you might call the frame - depending on state here in Aus - gets called Dog leg - Mid -leg or front rail.
It's a very common damage here in Aus most is hidden by what you call BONDO - we call filler and silastic and painted black and many cars are driven with damge to that area. Many cars sold as well with that damge. because you have to know what to look for easy to claim car has not been in a accident.
I know this because it's What did alot of.
Old 14-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
TheMAN

the radiator support is NOT just the top bent part, it is the entire piece of sheet metal behind the front bar and headlights

the radiator support is the same no matter the market, only the front bars are different... due to cost cutting, there are no longer as much body parts differences between markets unlike those old mazdas you mentioned... only front and rear bars are different, and portions of the rear frame (near the wheels)... doors are the same everywhere... the mazda parts catalogues proves this

as I already stated the obvious, only the top part is bent... nothing really at the lower half of the radiator support is bent, nor is the frame crushed (frame is behind where you see the 4 holes on each side in the pic... behind the front bar, below the headlights)

most of the radiator support will have to be replaced because of the extensive damage... it is welded on and the welds have to be drilled out to remove the damaged parts (I'm sure you already knew this)

I don't think cars with US bumpers won't pass ADR.... US bumpers are designed more stringently than elsewhere because of the requirement of 8km/h protection (hence why they are more bulky and weigh more)... but because attachment points are the same and crumple zones still work the same, it is unlikely it will fail ADR or ECE tests, even though they do not have the 8km/h requirements

I have heard of some cars sold in europe (intended for europe) with the same bumpers as the US, so because Japan and Australia also allow ECE standards, it is improbable other cars with US bumpers can't be allowed in Australia
Old 14-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
JDM323

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
the radiator support is NOT just the top bent part, it is the entire piece of sheet metal behind the front bar and headlights

the radiator support is the same no matter the market, only the front bars are different... due to cost cutting, there are no longer as much body parts differences between markets unlike those old mazdas you mentioned... only front and rear bars are different, and portions of the rear frame (near the wheels)... doors are the same everywhere... the mazda parts catalogues proves this

as I already stated the obvious, only the top part is bent... nothing really at the lower half of the radiator support is bent, nor is the frame crushed (frame is behind where you see the 4 holes on each side in the pic... behind the front bar, below the headlights)

most of the radiator support will have to be replaced because of the extensive damage... it is welded on and the welds have to be drilled out to remove the damaged parts (I'm sure you already knew this)

I don't think cars with US bumpers won't pass ADR.... US bumpers are designed more stringently than elsewhere because of the requirement of 8km/h protection (hence why they are more bulky and weigh more)... but because attachment points are the same and crumple zones still work the same, it is unlikely it will fail ADR or ECE tests, even though they do not have the 8km/h requirements

I have heard of some cars sold in europe (intended for europe) with the same bumpers as the US, so because Japan and Australia also allow ECE standards, it is improbable other cars with US bumpers can't be allowed in Australia
very true have done the radiator support on mine and it wasn't that expensive to do on it's own.
Old 14-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
I reckon you could probably pick up all the parts needed for around $2000 from wreckers & on here, and just DIY it
Old 15-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
rodhog

yes whole support is stuffed, but that whack has been enough to have damaged the legs of where it's main attachment is on the car.

That's my whole point it's stuffed. ON the Yellow car it's not - it has not been hit as far. But silver one is done for. I know it's only 3 hours of minor straightening out metal - tack on the radaitor support but I know for a fact I would not do it as a Panel beater in my town. No insurance company will pay for it. Where the owner lives it's not too bad. It's not $50 and hour for merchanics labour yet or 40 for basic panel beaters. But the cost win is not in place.

I'm not saying it's can't be fixed to make it look right.
It could be done on the cheap, it will never line up perfectly - and it might not totally be structurally safe in another crash.
People are saying - X amount of Dollars with out knowning for sure.
$2000 would not cover a panel beater in most major cities - if they do real good JOB.

Fact is and real answer has been said it's finished car. No one is going to spend over $4000 on a car woth $1500 X -rego.
I'm sorry to the owner to say this but

it's a 1.6L car over ten years old. it's time for the bin.
**** wouldn't even repair a Sp20 with that damage.
I'm not saying you can't.
I repaired a $700 626 wagon with panel work and spray job costing over $9K all up. But I'm a dedicated Nut.

What to do is Cut your losses. And sell the car.

I'm sound like a Prick but.
I'm calling it out how I see it. Why because I worked for 3 years in Panel shop - mainly on Quoting. When studying engineering
I also worked in Car yard selling and buying cars. It don't take long to see after time where and what will be repaired.

I'm not saying it's wrong for a Yank to comment but - You may not realsie here in Australia - our laws and systems are different. I can't even keep up with the changes all the time. But I've seen a **** load heard **** load of people for O/S thinking - oh it only cost this and that to fix. People Read it on the internet, Think oh it's this that Go to panel shop and then get quotes here there and also get ripped off by very shoddy unsafe work.
One thing to understand is Here in Australia Our Labour costs are massive and vary state to state. I know of merchanics for prestige cars charging $100 and that include if they only work on BMW 1 series
Oh And it's not like they are in the Hi society part of town.

Then you add in National issues. Like how our Laws allow car companys NOT to provide spares for cars over 7 years old.
That's right - 1st gen M6 you can't get all the parts for it new from Mazda. They won't provide it. Toyota do. Nissan some - local yes

But car repairs have gone down hill because it was decided they wanted people driving newer cars and less old cars on the road.

The Door models might be the same now but haven't always been.
I was only using that as an example. Some models that are known to be different. because of manufacture (Eg Flat rock). But also where delivered to.

Our system is not what you think. I give you one last example to think about.
A ZR1 is under 100K US dolllar- Our dollar now buys yours at 107 today. But a fully converted RHD here ZR-1 costs over $300,000 Aus Dollars and it's not shipping or convertion costs totally it's alot to do with Making it legal. Make it ADR friendly. Even when those whoe do the converison who said make this safe for pedestrians or crash test this. They still make it fit every other item. If not mistaken California has 95db sound rule or law. hmmm it's one of the tightest in the US. Well try NSW 90db. only pre 1986 cars can be 96db.
Just to get that past is alot of testing.
Nothing is easily to get done in Australia or cheap.
Ask any owner here who has had to get cars cleared through inspections. Even when only one state demands yearly inspections.