Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 13-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #81
LordWorm

Car: .
See if you can pick up a second hand manifold, that'll get the price down for you significantly. If i were in a better place financially, i'd sell you mine (replacing with something - er - better)....but with the wedding etc, car stuff has been put on the back burner something shocking.
but yeah, get a second hand manifold, make sure they loctite the buterfly screws and get a suitable gasket... you should be able to knock a fair bit off that price just by doing that.

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #82
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Just ckecked the inbox and i had this email in the inbox...

Quote:
Dear Mr Greinke

Our ref: 48823

Thank you for your recent email regarding your Mazda 323 Astina.

When designing motor vehicles, Mazda engineers go to great lengths to ensure that all components adhere to Mazda’s product performance guidelines and Australian Design Regulations. Field and technical feedback supports this and acknowledges that generally our vehicles operate without concern.

As you may appreciate, from a distance it is rather difficult for us to comment on the specifics of your concern. From our experience any manufacturing or material defect would be evident early in the vehicles life.

As you are aware the warranty on this vehicle ended in July 2006. After that time, any decision to offer assistance and thereby reduce the cost of a particular repair or service is entirely at the discretion of Mazda Australia.

Whilst we regret this situation, we confirm once more that Mazda Australia will not contribute to the cost of this repair. Should you have further questions regarding the specific nature of the repair, we suggest you discuss them with the Mazda dealership in question.

Thank you for the opportunity to provide final clarification of this matter.

Yours sincerely

National Customer Service
Old 15-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #83
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
Just ckecked the inbox and i had this email in the inbox...
The extended the warrenty to cover the VICS special service - this is a known fault - surely a token contribution to the repair cost wouldn't go astray

Old 15-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #84
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm View Post
The extended the warrenty to cover the VICS special service - this is a known fault - surely a token contribution to the repair cost wouldn't go astray
Do you have anything Marc can take to Mazda to backup this claim? Or does he walk in there with a random internet forum claim?
Old 15-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #85
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
Do you have anything Marc can take to Mazda to backup this claim? Or does he walk in there with a random internet forum claim?
The fact that mazda instigated a special service on the VICS butterflies in the first place is evidence that they know an issue exists.

I'd certainly be starting there.

Old 15-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #86
arden

Car: Suby
yeh mazda is simply gonna say the VICS recall applied to a certain VIN range. your car doesnt fall within the range..tough luck....but of course you can try and write to them again....substantiate the claim with info about numerous cars from the u.s also falling victim to the dreaded VICS screws and how their car wasnt within the recall range.
Old 16-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #87
marcs_sp20

UPDATE:

Ok the old boy & I went to boettcher motors this morning to basically tell them to go ahead with the repairs, found out that I Prolly wont need the butterflies at all (as thats the only thing wrong with the manifold), there basically the same that are used in the camry's, but they do not fully close, so really are doing nothing. Yeah I know that they allow the fuel to swirl, but without having any would there be any adverse affects on say fuel economy? If so I'll just get my brother to make some at work :-).

Marc
Old 16-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #88
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I don't know about fuel economy, but manually flipping the VICS over at idle doesn't even upset the car. Lordworm runs his car VICSless at the moment, and it still does alright too.

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #89
LordWorm

It may hurt some low end response, not having them active (essentially running VICS activated all the time) - but shouldn't harm fuel economy overly

My VICS runs as if it were perminantly DISABLED and i still get reasonable top end out of it...the VICS itself has very minimal effect on the power curve (best illustration i've seen of it are chicaboost's dyno runs....thats the biggest kick i've ever seen on a graph).

Its basically there to "fake" a dual runner setup

I still think value for money wise, you'd be best off buying a second hand engine....off a 626 - and swapping the appropriate bits over...
for the kind of money you are talking, i'd really consider doing something while you were in there - how often are you going to have the engine stripped down?

Good luck with it mate....keep us all posted...

Old 22-07-2007, 02:05 AM   #90
slothy

Car: '03 Protege SP20
Send a message via MSN to slothy
i just had mine looked at recently - called mazda, told me to call local mazda dealer and they would do it for me. took bugger all time, no charge.

They said the issue was not present in mine - all the screws were there.
slothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #91
marcs_sp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy View Post
i just had mine looked at recently - called mazda, told me to call local mazda dealer and they would do it for me. took bugger all time, no charge.

They said the issue was not present in mine - all the screws were there.
Good to hear slothy,

I dont want this to happen to anyone, and if you are a person like me who thinks "bah its only only on the later models, cant effect me", your WRONG!!! I'm now left with a debt of over $2500 (well really between $2750 & $3200 depending on rings). Even if u dont think u have it, get it checked out and save yourselves a heap of $$$$ in the end...

Marc
Old 10-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #92
marcs_sp20

The car is back!!! After 5 weeks & 5 days of having no car, the car is again hitting the streets . The old boy & I went round to Ian Boettcher Mazda at 4.15, the car was still being worked on... After some stuffing round and a couple test drives & free CAR WASH, the keys were handed to me at around 5.15 . The total cost for the repairs was $2898, which is I guess better then the initial $4000 to fix...

I am still having a couple problems with it tho which i will be getting a look at this afternoon, and they are that when u come to a stop and put the clutch in, the car would rev down to 200rpm, back up to 800rpm, back down to 200rpm and then finally rest at 800rpm. My initial thoughts was that it had something to do with the old fuel ( been sitting for 5 weeks), but i dont know... The other problem is that there is about 30mm play with the accelerator pedal, r really have to push the peday to get anywhere...

Thanks heaps everyone for putting up with all my constant **** over the last 5 weeks, really appreciate it

Coming to a cruise near you!

Marc
Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #93
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Good news apart from the revs dropping. That might be just Idle Control thing not plugged in or it having to work excessively hard cause the idle is set too low...?

There are 2 thoughts as to running in your new Cylinder: the traditional piss fart around way, or the kick it in the guts from day one theory. I'll let you worry about that...

Too bad only 2 gits contributed to your plight, and now things are made even harder with your work situation... Seriously, if anyone else tells me how they got back $2k in tax rebate I'm gonna spit the dummy.
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #94
marcs_sp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Good news apart from the revs dropping. That might be just Idle Control thing not plugged in or it having to work excessively hard cause the idle is set too low...?

There are 2 thoughts as to running in your new Cylinder: the traditional piss fart around way, or the kick it in the guts from day one theory. I'll let you worry about that...

Too bad only 2 gits contributed to your plight, and now things are made even harder with your work situation... Seriously, if anyone else tells me how they got back $2k in tax rebate I'm gonna spit the dummy.
Gav.
I have to go back again this afternoon and geta full invoice printed out for me (wasnt done when i went round yesterday afternoon). I have left the bloke in the service dept know of the situation so its going back into the workshops when i get there... I hope its only something small, cause i really cant live without a car anymore due to work crap...

Hahaha I have been taking option 1 I know how to run in engines, so this aint a big hassle. lmao I actually got beeped at this morning for being too slow .

I thank the blokes that helped me out ( u know who u are ), and it really did help out I have a few interviews next week so hoping for the best, as the saying goes, the only way is up
Old 23-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #95
Mc_Nuggets
Astina GT Junkie

Car: SP20 Hatch 2001 Mica Black
thank god ive got a 01
Old 23-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #96
marcs_sp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc_Nuggets View Post
thank god ive got a 01
I wouldnt count yourself out of it, go and get it checked...
Old 27-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #97
andrewck

Car: Ford Focus LV XR5
Well here goes. The VICS shutter butterflys in my SP20 had finally decided to give the death rattle from hell. It was quickly picked up by my brilliant mechanic last Thursday the 17th of Sept . Unfortunately he wasnt able to fit the job in so was able to get the local Mazda dealership to do it today.

OK well I should really go and buy a lottery ticket because this will blow your mind 1 butterfly was broken 1 half still on the shaft the other half lying in the manifold along with the screw.
As soon as I upload the pics I will post them

Can I make a suggestion ?? Can we make this thread a STICKY

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6...ture079wx1.jpg

Can I also say that not having the butterfly's makes absolutely no difference to the cars performance at all not 1 IOTA so whoever has a SP20 and havent had their VICS looked at could be an idea to spend the $350 to $400 and get them removed

Also I posted this in another thread http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12775

Last edited by andrewck; 27-09-2008 at 05:45 PM.
andrewck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #98
DVS
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BJII sp20
the vics is heard at the last 500rpm on the dial before redline no????
Old 27-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #99
andrewck

Car: Ford Focus LV XR5
Mate if you can feel any performance benifit with them then you must be a human dyno
andrewck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #100
DVS
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BJII sp20
ok well with my injen intake the last 500 or so rpm has a vtec like sound kicking in event and the power doesnt actually drop off