Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 06-02-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
Toyboy

Car: Ba Astina
Send a message via MSN to Toyboy
Detonation(pinging)

Hey guys,I have a little problem,ever since i moved from newcastle to my new place back in the country i have had problems with detonation
Now there is 1 place where i live that sells 98ron fuel and thats what i have been using,ive even turned my timing back to 11deg,which is pretty much standard and still having the same problems :evil:
Now what im getting at is that i never had these problems while running the same fuel while living in Newcastle,and i was running upto 15degs timing :? Doesnt this sound strange to yous?i know that it may be a tad warmer where i am now,but what im worried about is that the fuel i am purchasing is not what they say it is :shock:
Is there anywhere i can take a sample of this fuel, that yous know of to have the RON tested,cause ill be stuffed if im gunna be paying 10cents a litre more for this fuel if its really only normal unleaded :evil:
Your help would be apprieciated :wink:

Ps i havent mentioned the service station and type of fuel for legal reasons :wink:

Cheers
Old 06-02-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
could altitude be a problem ?

i dunno where u are or what height above sea level etc it is.

otherwise, no i dont know where to take it
Old 06-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
dfvadr

Car: ss , sp20 , 94ba
i would say the fuel is not wat ur paying for
detonation/pinging will defenatly fxxx a good motor
i would run it out go to another garage toward the city an fill up if you have no probs then u have answered ur question good luck
- 18"ame's
- custom interior
- kenwood head unit , pioneer speakers driven by 800 watt amp , kicker subs driven by 1000 watt amps each sub [135.2db at supernats], two 1th caps 4 tv screens dvd player
- xbox
- airbag suspension with gas strut towers
- custom plates an airbrushing on bonnet
dfvadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
A quick test would be to check the colour, petrol is normaly colourless and a dye put in at the refinery. I cant remember what colour it should be but a glass jar test next time you fill (one in town and one in the city) could give you the answer.
Toluine is high octane, don't know about ethanol
Old 06-02-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
Yellow for the 98 stuff
Old 06-02-2004, 09:29 PM   #6
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Evo 8
pinging can be for a number of issues, not just timing or petrol...

it is caused by uncontrolled ignition of the fuel while in the cylinder.

some causes:

bad petrol:
depending on what type of fuel you use your engine can ping. Ie you use crap petrol, your car will most probably ping from it being too crap a fuel. on a stock ECU everytime you ping the knock sensor should force the ecu to retard the timing until it stops, as it sounds your ECU is not factory and does not sound like it has a knock sensor.

timing:
if you have an after-market ecu and have control over timing, depending on the compression you running in the cylinder, and the type of petrol your using, if too advanced it can make your engine ping.

fuel mixture:
depending on the mixture of fuel your running and the type of fuel your car can ping from the mixture being too rich or too lean, if too rich excess carbon in the cyclinder can make it ping from still having fuel even after ignition, although rare it happens. If too lean it pings from not being stable enough for proper combustion.

air temp:
you can sometimes get your car pinging on a hot day as the air is not as dense making the mixture not so great because obviously, less dense air, less burning. This happens alo on v8's although most v8 owners would hate the thought of hearing someone tell them that their car is not the best in the world. It also happens nearly all the time for people who own a turbo'd car and don't have a cooler because the turbo lifts the air temp **** load as soon as it starts to spool.

hope this helps, i am currently half asleep from a long day and also watching tv so it might not have all made sense, i am happy to go more in depth for others...
To boost or not to boost - http://www.trafficmesh.com
wiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:47 PM   #7
dfvadr

Car: ss , sp20 , 94ba
no need very well explained doug
- 18"ame's
- custom interior
- kenwood head unit , pioneer speakers driven by 800 watt amp , kicker subs driven by 1000 watt amps each sub [135.2db at supernats], two 1th caps 4 tv screens dvd player
- xbox
- airbag suspension with gas strut towers
- custom plates an airbrushing on bonnet
dfvadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #8
Toyboy

Thanks guys ive been meaning to check the colour but havent as yet :? I went to the next town last weekend and used optimax there and didnt have any probs,so its not looking good for that servo i normally get my fuel from :twisted:

Quote:
bad petrol:
depending on what type of fuel you use your engine can ping. Ie you use crap petrol, your car will most probably ping from it being too crap a fuel. on a stock ECU everytime you ping the knock sensor should force the ecu to retard the timing until it stops, as it sounds your ECU is not factory and does not sound like it has a knock sensor.
With the knock sensor i was told that the bp n/a motor didnt have 1,is this true? And i am running the stock ECU :wink:

Another thing the other day i tested the ECU for error codes and 3 of them showed up,problem is i dont know how to read em properly ops: I reset the ECU over night and rechecked a few days later and nothing has showed up as yet,guess ill keep an eye on it,if the same codes show up ill have to get it looked at

Any1 have a specific chart for the error code deciphering on the ba Astina?

Cheers guys
Old 12-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #9
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
This may help, not specificly Astina codes but the MX-5 does use the BP motor.

Good luck
Old 12-02-2004, 01:05 PM   #10
Toyboy

Does any1 have the error codes for the BP motor out of the mx5 at all then?I have the chart for the bp out of the kh ford lasers but every code i read didnt match upto any of the codes from the laser code sheet