Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 29-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #1
whitev6

Car: 98 V6 hatch white manual
BA v6 front sway bar bush replacement

I searched but couldn't find any posts specific to replacing front sway bar bushes on a BA V6..

I know they are a pig of a job..ha it confirmed today that mine are shot, being the main cause of front end clonks.

For my money i didn't think $300 was TOO bad to resolve the problem, but as I don't nee the car day to day,, maybe I can do it myself..

Any pointers to previous posts please would be helpful..I will be upgrading to a 2.5 motor in the future, which would make this job easier,, but that may be a year or so off..Not sure I want to sacrifice a year of driving enjoyment until then..

Thanks

BTW car has been named 'Fang' after the dog in "Get Smart" after I suggested my friend called his MX5 "Max"
whitev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
same a I4.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
Drakh

Car: Black Lantis BA 2.5L KLZE
So you know, I did my front bushes when I did my engine conversion. It barely makes the job any easier at all... you have to drop the front end sub frame to get at them, even if there's no engine in your way. It will make accessing a couple bolts easier, like power steering rack and such, but nothing thats impossible with the engine in.
As for any tips.... all I can think of is you have to take the power steering rack off too- or if you don't I couldn't see how anyway. Just tackle the nuts in your way as they come, nothing too special, and allow a couple days, cause as you know, its a **** job
Drakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
whitev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakh View Post
So you know, I did my front bushes when I did my engine conversion. It barely makes the job any easier at all... you have to drop the front end sub frame to get at them, even if there's no engine in your way. It will make accessing a couple bolts easier, like power steering rack and such, but nothing thats impossible with the engine in.
As for any tips.... all I can think of is you have to take the power steering rack off too- or if you don't I couldn't see how anyway. Just tackle the nuts in your way as they come, nothing too special, and allow a couple days, cause as you know, its a **** job
OK very interesting to know..Gives me courage to do it myself or pay the $300 now and get it done..It does scare me though when u mention removing PS rack.

Think I'll hand it to the man, other projects keep me greasy enuf. The steering/suspension man reckoned on 3 hours, I might get a written quote if u think the rack needs to come out, or maybe thats part of the 3 hours.

So with getting engine shipped from Melbourne and getting the bushes done..looks like 2 minute noodles for the next fortnight for moi.

In regards to the 2.5 engine swap, at the moment I am more than happy with the car's performance, when on song it is absolutely phenomenal to the point where I'm going to be checking the engine number to see if it already doesn't have a 2.5 fitted..its that quick!!!

Last edited by whitev6; 30-07-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 31-07-2014, 01:59 AM   #5
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
I don't remember rack issues but subframe yes, I had it done at a work shop was done during a major service. hoist makes massive difference.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhog View Post
I don't remember rack issues but subframe yes, I had it done at a work shop was done during a major service. hoist makes massive difference.
the steer rack is bolt to the k-frame. the k-frame need to be lowered to gain access to the swaybar d-shackles.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
well its been so long and I most likely was assisting but doing the til.
if it is what you say I doubt we dropped it all the way down. but then again biggest issue we had was the fuel filter. That I remember other then that was nothing serious.
we only changed bushes.
Maybe we left it hanging like I do on the 4Ws so I don't have to disconnect anything. just use the stands.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
whitev6

Job done..

First place dicked me around..So shuttled it over to Capital Steering and suspension, took the job on, were very professional ANd did it for $275.

Wow and what a difference it has made.. Suddenly the ol pedders dont feel so bad anymore..

If anyone in Canberra wants to know who messed me around with this job feel free to msg me and I'll tell you who to avoid going to..

Next job is squeaking hatch, so annoying, then the infamous drivers window thats only hanging on by a thread...Ordered a guide wheel from Mazda $25 and 2 months.. Guessing the other "not available as separate part" window guide will need to be sourced from a wrecker, as it appears our bulk buy/manufacture of these bits has fallen over..True??