Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 18-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
CAI aborted

Hi all,
I Attempted CAI today on my BG but the lack ok a suitable route caused a problem so it is back to stock setup! Would i be able to remove the bottom of the airbox (as in cut out the base but leave the sides so i can still mount it) and direct a pice of 100 mm ag pipe straight up to the filter as a temp fix. The other option is a pod filter which would involve a converter plate to bolt it on to the afm. would it be possible to use a ba AFM and get away without an plate???

Cheers,
Nate

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 18-02-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
You couldn't use the BA AFM without the ECU and a little re-wiring. $15 plate sounding better. Drop into your local hardware and find the plumbing section, their are all sorts of odds and ends (pipes, elbows, bends 90,45,22.5 degree, converter plates of all description) making out of PVC pipe can be cheap, just takes time and measurement.
Took me about 2 hours to put $12 worth of plastic pipe into my car, then I removed it to screw it all together and paint it, another two hours.
Twelve dollars, entertained for half a day and got me a nice induction note. I'm happy
Old 18-02-2004, 11:35 PM   #3
UZK90

Nate,

It seems that you and me share a lot of astina problems..

I posted regarding this topic about a month ago but nobody replied.

Like you, I opened up my box to find that there is no route out of the bottom of the airbox. Metal panels are everywhere, and I can't drill a hole thru it.

Dissapointed, the only thing I did was just unplug the black pipe connected to the bottom of the airbox (which leads to the front guard somewhere). I also disconnected the pipe that connected to the resonator/inducts that are connected to the front radiator.

It did make some sounding difference :? but it still isn't cold air!

Thinking if I had to do this again, I would have placed an adaptor at the bottom of the box, remove the stock air filter and to stick a POD filter at the bottom.
UZK90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2004, 12:46 AM   #4
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Hi u2k90

Quote:
I posted regarding this topic about a month ago but nobody replied
I saw your post but as i had not attempted CAI so couldnt really give answer.

Anyway here is the plan of acition

The ever knowing cosmo dude has suggested i make an adaptor plate to fit the air flow meter so i am going to attempt that tomorrow and will post a follow up tomorrow night some time (and pics if all goes well)

I have heard the K&N 57-0117 bolts straight onto the air box but i have no idea on how to get my hands on one

Nate

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Old 19-02-2004, 08:10 AM   #5
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

I was in Repco 'Clayton' a few weeks ago and they had adaptor plates for many applications, they may have the correct one or one that is easily modified.
Good woozing luck

Oh, I know Clayton isn't very handy for either of you but eh
Old 19-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #6
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
Hey Cosmic Rod,

How is their airbox different from our BA's???

I just removed my existing pipe to the res box and attached ag pipe onto the entry point of the airbox.... using the ag pipe and cable ties, we simply forced the ag pipe to sit where we wanted it (down in the space where the old res box sat and out again), and found an intake point down behind the bottom of the front bar, without cutting holes.

Application of K&N panel filter and right foot gives nice zoom zoom......

So why is their model such a pain in the arse for them????? Why can't they do the same?

*confuzzled*
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Was wrong 'bout the price of the adaptor plate ops: actualy $30-$40. My bad
Old 19-02-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatSmack
Hey Cosmic Rod,

How is their airbox different from our BA's???
I'll get out the dodgy phone cam, take some pictures and send'em to ya
Old 19-02-2004, 11:08 AM   #9
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

its ok i am about to rip out the air box again so give me a min i will have some pics up

I THINK I AM N2!