Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

View Poll Results: Are they worth the higher price
Worthwhile 1 33.33%
Not worthwhile without an exhaust upgrade 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Abaddon

Car: White 1996 Astina Hatch 1.8L Man
Thoughts, Are K&N filters worth the cost over standard filters?

With the recent results I've had after a good throttle body clean out I'm thinking about getting more.

Question for anyone who's switched to a K&N hi flow panel. Any difference?

Or is it really negligible unless I spend the dollars on a new exhaust first?

I realise it will last longer, but it's also around 5x the price. And given the age of the vehicle it's probably not worthwhile upgrading things now. Should have started 7 years ago.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
ghetto3

Car: 97 ba 1.8 323
A k&n replacement panel would be worth the effort for its ability to be washed, reoiled and reused.
Are you considering an exhuast upgrade as in headers/cat/catback or standard replacement?
ghetto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Abaddon

Car: White 1996 Astina Hatch 1.8L Man
I was thinking headers back. My mechanic tells me the exhaust is not in great shape. He did a fair bit of welding on it last time around.

I probably need to pull off the heat shields and see where the problems start.

Is there any advantage to going with cat back? if it's restricted by stock sized pipe from the manifold to the Cat, won't the second half upgrade be a bit of a waste?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
ghetto3

You can at least feel the gains with a catback. I did mine in steps starting with the catback, then headers and finally a low cell count cat and you can definately feel the improvement. The ceramic core of my cat was smashed so the replacement feIt like it added 50kw, probably did!
It may be worthwhile weighing the cost of the standard replacement parts against the performance alternatives if your standard system is tired and in need of repair. There are good second hand options up for grabs too but as my bro is keen on one of them I can't point you at it however if you browse our traders' section...
Old 09-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
TheMAN

Car: .
sure they're reusable, but they don't filter as well either... yes, it's flow better... go figure
Old 11-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Other then reusability. And compared to original EFI - cotton -paper covered Air-filters ( no longer common ) Don't filter as or have the simplistic ability to change and go.
So reusable covers the cost. Why - cost only. Because There is no Gain.
No gain that can be proven or conceived with either factory intake - factory engines. Regardless of exhaust systems. Car makers have rules to meet and Spend Millions getting most efficient way of creating power and best out comes with in these rules.

When you remove the rules you still have to go drastic to find a real restriction.

The Gain will be if any from any air filter on any engine that is in effect standard - so unless you have changed turbo chargers - cam shafts upped compression the list goes on.
It's only when requiring these Maximums do you find where cone air filters and special air boxes etc, Have a notable gain.

On the other side of the coin. The down side or plus depending is the attraction when going to a Pod type is the added induction noise. As for panel it's simply the wash out but one needs to remember it takes time to dry.
Only other down side is if using a wire type sensor system applicable to BA (not sure on BP motors can't remember if still on VAF AFM ? ) - BJ's motors that excessive oil can cause failed readings in the AFM. Not common.

For my self I have them because I never bought them. I have had every type available for my mazdas'. If I go outback and expect to be near dirt roads or get into country towns. I refit a original one. In the city not an issue.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
ghetto3

One of these would do in a pinch
Old 14-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
they look small but it's only a BP. I bet it has nice bell mouths under neither.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote