Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 24-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
thecomicrelief

Car: 96 Astina
96 Astina HU issues

Gday all, I've been reading these forums for a while now, and decided I would have a go at installing my Head Unit myself (pioneer 3100UB).

My car is a 1996 323 Astina (BA??)

I went to Supercheap and bought both of the harnesses I thought I'd need, as per advice from this forum. I then connected it all up, started it up, and nothing.

After a little looking around, I notice that the big single cable (black/yellow), which plugged into the back of the original, was still unplugged. I suspect strongly that this is the ground.

Now, there are 2 harnesses, one from the car to ISO, and one from the HU to ISO. The one from the HU to ISO has 12V Constant, 12V Ignition and Ground, while the harness from the car to ISO does not have this ground. It does, however, have Illumination and Power Antenna which are both not plugged into the HU, but AFAIK they shouldn't be stopping my HU from working.

My question, has anybody had the same issue? I hear a lot of people recommending the harnesses, so I assume this must have happened to someone else? Should I just cut and solder the cable from the harness to the black/yellow cable? Is there a special harness for this bit somewhere?

I hope I've explained my problem clearly enough, thanks for your time

Last edited by thecomicrelief; 24-02-2010 at 02:55 PM.
thecomicrelief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Bugger. had it all written out and lost it...

oh well a condensed version this time...

i just used the oem wires in a terminal block -found using BP connectors(electrician slang for insulated screw connectors) easier..

yellow is +12, black is ground. red is acc i think. and from then on you should have power... find the antenna one, and sort out the speaker wires (basically any which have pairs of similar colours... if this doesnt work dont worry.... find the light dimmer cable (which is freaking awesome - my pioneer does this yours may too) once they have been located and attached to the correct HU terminals its then time to get the speakers sorted.

find a pair (eg it may be solid green and the other might be green with a coloured stipe in it... etc...) take your time and try get the pairs... after youve found a pair plug it into a speaker input... and figure out which speaker is playing.. then unattach it and try get the next pair until youve got all 4 speakers in the correct position. (Frong L/R, Rear L/R)

add your sub if any and bingo! if you need more help ill try and answer your questions but take your time and make sure you have a 10A fuse in the main power wire and possibly even in the red (acc) wire...
Old 24-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
thecomicrelief

Car: 96 Astina
Thanks for your reply.

Actually thanks to the harnesses I've got most of the cables worked out, It's only specifically the grounding one that is giving me troubles.

I'm just trying to work out if the black/yellow cable in my car that was originally plugged by itself, into the original Head Unit, is ground, and if I can solder the black ground cable from the new HU straight into it, or if I should find some other way.

What did you do with your ground line? Did it go straight into that black/yellow cable?

Last edited by thecomicrelief; 24-02-2010 at 06:55 PM.
thecomicrelief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
mikey_something

Car: 1998 Toyota Supra 3.0L Twin Turbo
could you just run the grounding cable from the headunit to a bolt or any part of the chassis? before attaching it just tap it onto a bolt and see if u get power.

if its good, do it

also tc3_racer
instead of fiddling with plugging the pairs in to figure out which ones they are, u can find a pair and attach them to a AA battery and listen for a small crackle
quicker i find
mikey_something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
cool idea but either works I guess! from memory yellow with black stripe was 12v ? should be a thick black ground the same thickness too, was with mine...btw someone had already done mine so I just used what hed already got but did a lot better job lol!
Old 14-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
zoolanda

Car: 96' 323 BA Series 2
dont forget there should be a few cables loose when wiring a new HU, just if u thought you forgot something hahaha
zoolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
the single plug is ground from memory. I put a mate's HU in using the adaptor harnesses, ended up cutting the ground plug off, cutting the earth wire from the plug that connects to the stock harness and joining them there. took < 5min once the dash was off.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote