Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 20-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
stock is best

Car: 97' Astina BA Hatch
Audio help plz :)

Just wondering what u guys use to play your ipod/iphone through ur car stereo? My gf has a 2001(approx) toyota corolla csx. I thought bout buying her a new head deck thats ipod ready but the stock stereo in those things has a 6 stacker so i figured that would b more of a loss than a gain (yes i realise u dont need cd's when can play stuff through ipod but she likes it so its gotta stay haha).

Anyways staying on point....I've decided to just buy her something that plays her music from ipod/iphone through the stereo, just wondering what u guys use?? She had one of those FM transmitter ones from belkin but it wasnt clear sound at all n didnt work very well...Suggestions plz thanks!
stock is best is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 20-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
unless you change the headunit away from the dinosaur cd player, you ain't gonna have any option other that the terrible FM transmitter.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
mikey_something

Car: 1998 Toyota Supra 3.0L Twin Turbo
Ghetto wiring solution.
One end is a 3.5mm stereo jack, other goes through the amp and then branches out to each individual speaker wire lol
mikey_something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
If it has a stock unit with or without a stacker, chances are there is a port on the back for a external cd stacker. Go to grom audio website (I would do this for you, but I'm on the phone lol) and find a iPhone adapter. Or just google iPhone adapter for whatever car you have. I got one in my rx8 (I got a grom but there are other brands, I just can't remember now) and the sound quality is better than any audio out I have used before, including 3.5mm jacks and connectors that utilize the dock port on the bottom of the phone and go to RCA leads.
That's what I suggest, if you google, look for a Toyota iPhone adapter and go from there, one usually does many models from the same manufacturer as they can have the same connector on the back
If you don't get a solution by tomorrow arvo il have a look for you when I get home
Old 20-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/all-toy.html
Ok so I figured il prob forget later so I did it now. Email them and ask if this will work. There are other ones on eBay lol. Also make sure the one you get will charge the iPhone (assuming she has one)
Old 20-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
stock is best

Thanks bud ur a champ, i did check them out earlier though i dont think it'd get here in time for xmas.... Yeh she does have one, and yeh that was on my checklist :P. Don't suppose there's any other stores in aus selling a similar thing just off the top of ur head? I've heard mixed reviews bout those Fm transmitter thingy's, the tunebase from belkin seems ok, also the Iluv I707 for ipod/iphone. Guess i could always just sing to her while we're in the car :P. Anyways thanks guys i'll keep looking

Last edited by stock is best; 20-12-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 20-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Well I got mine in under a week wasn't express but, if u msg them n pay extra for air express from the us it will come in like 2days, ESP if u do it now since it's just morning and ask for a asap thing. But for b4 sat... I dunno tbh
Also not really aware if they have a rep here, perhaps they know but
Old 20-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
stock is best

haha yeh i get what ur sayin....thanks for ur help mate, just one last thing..did it take long to install urself or should i just get somewhere like jb or strathfield to do it
Old 20-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

If you find the instructions on how to remove it it's pretty easy. Instalation it self only takes about 30 seconds, the removal of HU is the hard part
For something like this it's worth getting the present a little late, cus it makes it all look nice and stock and most of all the quality of sound is just like if you burnt a cd from the songs you downloaded, so in the end it depends ok the bit rate of songs, but definitely it's by far the best thing I did to my car audio wise ever
Old 21-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
or google this
alpine ixa-w404
i have one in my bg about 400 bucks on ebay
you can add a stacker to it if you want it plays video can add reverse camera.
it is also a double din and should be a straight swap (assuming your gf's is similar to my corolla)
from memory i have a 2003 corolla and i dont recall ever seeing a 3.5mm jack anywhere

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
stock is best

Just letting u know that after much deliberation i've decided to go with earrings lol . thanks for your help, her b'days coming up in a few weeks (more money down the tubes haha) , so that grom thing will b perfect for that, thanks again!
Old 21-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

there is also the xcarlink (that was the other brand i couldnt think of before, but its basically same thing in a diff shell)